The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-06-2017, 02:20 PM

[QUOTE=We Walk in Song;5183261]I bought this guitar Christmas 2015...

GOR-geous!!
Old 01-06-2017, 03:00 PM

This is a Taylor thread so I am posting this to get it sold so I don't buy it. Happy shopping. I believe someone will be a happy-camper.

http://willcuttguitars.com/taylor-gu...aylor-ga8e-137

Buy it quick before I succumb.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:01 PM

Over the years I've gone through: 314ce>614ce>410ce>814ce>BTO R Taylor>GAce-LTD-C>812ce 12 Fret

I gotta say that of all of them including the R Taylor my current 812ce 12 Fret is the one I will ride off into the sunset with. So easy to play in the 12 Fret configuration and just such a warm, yet bold and articulate, not to mention plenty loud when needed sound from a concert size guitar. Just a keeper in all ways in my opinion. I bought mine online sight unseen and unheard after stumbling across this video one day and playing it through my home theater system....about 15 times!

Last edited by Joe F; 01-06-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
Over the years I've gone through: 314ce>614ce>410ce>814ce>BTO R Taylor>GAce-LTD-C>812ce 12 Fret

I gotta say that of all of them including the R Taylor my current 812ce 12 Fret is the one I will ride off into the sunset with. So easy to play in the 12 Fret configuration and just such a warm, yet bold and articulate, not to mention plenty loud when needed sound from a concert size guitar. Just a keeper in all ways in my opinion. I bought mine online sight unseen and unheard after stumbling across this video one day and playing it through my home theater system....about 15 times!

I just played a 712e 12-fret the other day at a Guitar Center, and I'll admit I was pretty blown away by it. If I hadn't just bought my 814, I would have very much considered it. I loved the way it felt and it sounded simply wonderful and much larger sounding than I expected from a small guitar.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
This is a Taylor thread so I am posting this to get it sold so I don't buy it. Happy shopping. I believe someone will be a happy-camper.

http://willcuttguitars.com/taylor-gu...aylor-ga8e-137

Buy it quick before I succumb.
FWIW Steve, if that's a real temptation for you, then you owe it to yourself to audition one of the revoiced 814s. I haven't done a side-by-side with my re-voiced 814, but I've owned a couple of pre-voiced 814s. This new one takes a great guitar to a whole new level...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 01-06-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
FWIW Steve, if that's a real temptation for you, then you owe it to yourself to audition one of the revoiced 814s. I haven't done a side-by-side with my re-voiced 814, but I've owned a couple of pre-voiced 814s. This new one takes a great guitar to a whole new level...
Plus one, Randy.

Chris Martin has said that the biggest competition to new Martins, are old Martins. Bob and Kurt have worked very hard over the years to make sure that the best Taylors, are the latest Taylors. Bob Taylor and Larry Breedlove have been quite successful in doing just that, and now that Larry is retired, Andy Powers continues to raise the bar.

Anyone interested in an older GS8 should definitely audition one of the new 816's. Keep in mind that you can order any Taylor without cutaway or electronics, in fact many dealers stock them.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
The 814ce that I tried out was certainly incredible. I did wind up trading it, but that didn't diminish my opinion of that model in the least.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:52 AM

I just picked up a used BTO dread last week (pics soon-ish). Was looking at possibly an 810e or 810e Brazillian. I got a good deal. Not a lot of stories yet, but this is my first dreadnought and I now understand why people play them. Lots of power and projection with this guy!
Old 01-08-2017, 06:05 PM

Default I only own one Taylor.

I had been lusting after Taylor guitars for over a year after I attended one of their Road Shows. I had decided I wanted an all solid wood Taylor so I was looking at the 300 series. The 300 series would really straining my budget but I set aside some cash and waited for my tax refund. Once I got my refund, I had $1000 which still was short of what I needed so I was looking at used Taylors.
A local shop was advertising a used 310ce for $1195 so when I had the chance to get to the shop I stopped in and inquired about the guitar. Unfortunately, they told me they had already sold it. I then went to they acoustic room and looked over their selection of new Taylors. I was chagrined to see that they cheapest all solid Taylor was a 300ce which was tagged with a price of $1699. I was about to leave when the owner came over and asked me if I wanted to play the 310ce. I said sure and he took it down, tuned it up and handed it to me. As he did he told me, "That is a leftover from last year and I can give you a great deal on it. I'll go see what I can do." As I sat down and noodled on the guitar he went behind the counter and looked at his computer. I figured he would probably would give me a $100 discount or something similar so I was shocked when he came over and told me he would sell it to me for $1200! That was only $5 more than the used one he was selling the day before so I could not get my $1000 out fast enough and they let me put the $200 balance on my credit card. I just could not walk out without that guitar when He was discounting it by $499!
Old 01-08-2017, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Pinetreebob: Sounds like you got a great guitar at a great price. As you learned, buying used vs. new isn't as simple as one might think. Because your 310ce was NOS (New Old Stock), I assume that you got a Taylor warranty which you wouldn't have gotten with the used one. That warranty is worth a whole lot more than $5 if you ever need it...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-08-2017, 07:33 PM
Charter Member

I already had a couple Taylors when I came upon an absolutely gorgeous tobacco burst 814ce. My wife is a "guitar encourager," always quick to say, "Get it!"

I am not independently wealthy, and this would be the most expensive guitar I'd bought in over 40 years of playing. I went for it.

In the meantime, my wife had been watching a T5 on eBay. I had played a T5 in a guitar shop before getting the 814 and was totally taken with the feel and sound... but I didn't need another electric guitar. She kept saying, "You should get this!" It was pretty and pristine. I had never bought a guitar (or anything that expensive) on eBay. In fact, it had been a couple decades since I bought a used guitar. With 4 minutes left on the auction, a price that was surprisingly low, she once again said, "You really should buy this guitar!"

I couldn't justify it, since I had just bought the 814. With about 15 seconds left on the auction, she clicked in a bid just over the high bid. Before I could say, "Whhhhhhaaaattt?", she said, "This one will be mine!"

She doesn't play guitar.

The T5 isn't the most expensive guitar I own. (Well, I guess I don't really own it.) It doesn't get played as much as some of my acoustics. But, it makes my heart happy every time I look at it, and plays like buttah when I take it off the wall. It moved a notch above the ES-335 that had been my favorite electric, a guitar I've had since I was 13.

The fact that she really wanted me to have this guitar makes it the most special Taylor in our household.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:37 PM

Well my first Taylor was a 610ce L30 30th anniversary that I was graciously given for Christmas when I was 16. That's why my handle is RussL30. My family didn't have a lot of money but my dad worked a ton of overtime and really wanted me to have a quality guitar. He ended up passing away the next November and that was the last Christmas present I ever received from him. Sadly he didn't have life insurance and my mom and I were in a bind so we had to make the painful decision to sell it. I regret it still today and if I can ever find another 30th anniversary 610, I will buy it.

I saved up for years in college and was finally able to buy me another Taylor. There was this sunburst DN8 that I really liked, but I bought a 426ce to have something different from the dreads I was used to. I didn't gel with it and eventually traded on AGF for a 710ce. That was one of the best sounding guitars I ever played. I also bought an old Martin and I needed to sell one so I traded it for a GC8 I thought I could sell quicker. I ended up selling a non guitar related item for the money I needed and traded the GC8 for a 410ce Koa which was just a way to bright sounding guitar.

That old Martin needed a lot of work and I ended up reading it in plus a little cash for that 2007 sunburst DN8 I had played several times at my local Taylor dealer and kept coming back too. Luckily none ce models do not sell good around here and they still had it in 2011. I've enjoyed it for almost 6 years and almost had to sell it to buy our first house but my wife would not let me. I've played the crap out of this guitar and still love it. It reminds me of a D28 with some of that nice Taylor top end. Very warm sounding.
I still miss the 710ce and the 610ce but love my DN8.

Old 01-08-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I just picked up a used BTO dread last week (pics soon-ish). Was looking at possibly an 810e or 810e Brazillian. I got a good deal. Not a lot of stories yet, but this is my first dreadnought and I now understand why people play them. Lots of power and projection with this guy!
As the resident Taylor "dread head" I definitely want to see some pics. Sounds like an outstanding guitar.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

My favorite Taylor is my:

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars...ic/GAce-N-FLTD

The only thing I don't like about it is the model. GAce-N-FLTD s a real mouthful and I can never remember it.

I bought this one used at one of our local Guitar Centers. There really isn't a story here. I walked in, saw it, tried it, and just bought it on the spot.

It is in absolutely mint condition, as is the Taylor brown case that came with it. The case had all the paperwork and pamphlets that Taylor provides with their instruments. I have played a few other Taylor nylon string models, and this Limited Edition just has a fit and finish that is a very noticeable cut above the regular production models. This one has 14 frets to the body, rather than the typical 12 frets one finds on a nylon string guitar. The pickup system sounds decent and this guitar is just so playable.

I don't really know anything about the Limited Edition series, but assume there are fewer of these floating around since it is from a specific year and season (2012 Fall Limited Edition). Therefore, I would have to think long and hard about ever selling it.

I also have a 2016 Taylor 914ce that is a wonderful instrument in its own right. I bought that new, also at Guitar Center during their Labor Day sale.

www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/914ce

However, as nice as this instrument is, I seem to be preferring nylon strings lately. For playing chord melody solo guitar, I am finding that I much prefer my Taylor nylon string over my archtop these days. I have a really nice Acoustic Image Coda R Series III amplifier that sounds wonderful with nylon strings, nice and warm, while being very clear.

If I could keep only two of my instruments, it would be both Taylors (914ce and the nylon string).

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-08-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Pinetreebob: Sounds like you got a great guitar at a great price. As you learned, buying used vs. new isn't as simple as one might think. Because your 310ce was NOS (New Old Stock), I assume that you got a Taylor warranty which you wouldn't have gotten with the used one. That warranty is worth a whole lot more than $5 if you ever need it...
Yes, I did get the full Taylor warranty with all the benefits including the publication "Wood and Steel" which they mail to me every 4 months of so. I really was psyched out of my mind when I bought it. It is a great guitar, perfect in every way with nary a scratch and the price was certainly more than right. I kind of feel sorry for the person that bought the used one just before I walked through the door, they paid just $5 less than I did. It just shows you that you have to be in the right place at the right time, have the means and be ready to pull the trigger when a deal comes up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion