The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-08-2010, 05:01 PM

Default Fretting a Bound Fretboard

Does anyone here, who has bound a fretboard, use CA glue to hold down the fret ends?
If so, thin, medium, thick? Do you just put some in the trench, then hammer in the fret?
Is there any splash? How big a deal is cleanup?
I'm asking because I used glue on one fret. I put blue masking tape either side of the fret after the fret was in, I thought it would help eliminate some cleanup issues.
I put in thin glue, held it down with pliers (padded) until it took. But the glue ran the length of my fret slot and got into the blue tape. Heckuva mess, but cleaned up ok.
I just don't want to spend that much time cleaning and also risking scarring the fretboard. However, if that's the price to be paid, I'll pay it.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 08-09-2010, 04:58 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

There is super glue solvent for oopsies. I am not sure what it is made of. Also there is Super Glue accelerant to make the bond close to instant (it smells like Naphtha to me).
Z-Poxy tells you to use Denatured alcohol for cleanups. It works great, don't ask how I know.
I have done 2 fretboards. So, till a pro chimes in, I use Yellow glue in the trench and a dot of Medium Superglue on the ends. I used "Pipet's" from stew mac for delivery. They are a pain to fill with the glue but work great for the delivery.

Last edited by Kitchen Guitars; 09-15-2010 at 04:01 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:38 AM

I'd stay away from the superglue if possible. I put a little liquid hide glue in the slots but watered down white or yellow wood glue would be fine. Frets shouldn't need to be glued in. The glue lubricates the slots, and kinda grouts them also. Use if sparingley. I also wax the fret board with automotive wax before fretting so any excess glues cleans up easily. If you have a picky fret end or something you can wick thin superglue under it, while pressing it down. Keep a rag with acetone close by for cleanup.

There's a bunch of ways to do it, this is just my method.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:10 AM

never have, but then I've only fretted 62 necks.......

only one was bound though and the fret ends didn't need glued down.
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2010, 09:05 PM

I would definitely agree w the yellow or white glue used sparingly in the slots...reinforces the walls and helps the fret slide in a little better. Assuming you are working with bulk wire, (either coils or long staight pieces) I typically overbend (with a fret bender) to aid in keeping fret ends down. I don't like using superglue either. Haven't used the StewMac Fret Fitter ever, but might help by creating more of a wider barbed tang on fret ends. It might look a bit messy on an unbound fingerboard although...
Old 10-18-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mderek View Post
I would definitely agree w the yellow or white glue used sparingly in the slots...reinforces the walls and helps the fret slide in a little better. Assuming you are working with bulk wire, (either coils or long staight pieces) I typically overbend (with a fret bender) to aid in keeping fret ends down. I don't like using superglue either. Haven't used the StewMac Fret Fitter ever, but might help by creating more of a wider barbed tang on fret ends. It might look a bit messy on an unbound fingerboard although...
I stay away from glue unless I make a slight mistake. If you are having trouble with the ends poping up then you need to practice your technique. The fret should have a good arch in it before you start. Tap each end first and then tap in the middle. If it has enough arch in it, as you tap down the middle it spreds the fret out. If you are good at it, all it takes is one tap on each end and three in the middle.

Last edited by Chris Kemp; 10-19-2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:23 AM

I wick thin CA in after I install the frets. BUT, you should not rely on the glue to hold your fret ends down. As Chris stated, proper technique when installing the frets is important. Also make sure you don't cut the tang back too far from the edge when installing frets on a bound board and make sure you have the proper fit with the tang and the slot. I only use CA as insurance and it doesn't cause any problems.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:55 AM

I kind of take a diametrically opposite view here.

My philosophy is that glue in the fret slots has an additional function as well as being a lubricant and a "hold -down".

The more you eliminate any minute spaces in the slots, the more you rigidify the fretboard, and consequently the better the sustain and tone will be. Therefore, the more glue you can squeeze in, the merrier.

Hide glue is the preferred method, both for lubrication, ultimate rigidity, and ease of clean-up, but CA and epoxy will work almost as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair