The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-22-2021, 10:10 PM

Default 30 Strings of Carbon Video, Chimaera/Stick

Earlier this year I discovered the EBow works pretty well on my Chimaera. But I found out the hard way performing at Interlochen this year that it doesn't amplify well. Solved that issue with and Analog Alien Power pack to boost the volume when using the Ebow, then stomping it off when returning to conventional playing. It's a unique experience as the EBow is actually quite loud acoustically, but faint if you don't boost it when amplified. That might be a different story if your acoustic has magnetic pickups though. Also pushed the Aeros looper to it's limits - both my Chimaera and Stick are stereo out instruments. I ran out of memory and had to record the Stick through Logic. Thought it would be fun to do a video with both of my carbon fiber instruments, and share it here.

If the pic doesn't work, here's the link: https://youtu.be/p3dRIc5x1_o

Last edited by AcouStickistNS; 11-22-2021 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-23-2021, 06:52 AM

very interesting set, thanks for sharing!
I'd like to try an ebow....
chapman stick is so fascinating and at the same time it intimidates me a bit
Old 11-23-2021, 10:36 AM

Default Thanks!

You’re welcome. There’s an old saying among us that the more strings you have, the more chances you have of playing the right note

I have trouble with the EBow on other instruments, find the Emerald easier, but switching strings is not easier. Takes a certain amount of finess. Heard the EBow tends to work better on single coil pickups. Bassist Michael Manring has performed with a couple of acoustic guitarists that have used EBows, Michael Hedges I believe was one of them.
Old 11-23-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcouStickistNS View Post
There’s an old saying among us that the more strings you have, the more chances you have of playing the right note
fair
Old 11-27-2021, 10:22 AM

I finally got around to listening- very cool! Thank you for posting.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:41 PM

Not to hijack your thread, however, you may or may not know this:

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/emmett-chapman-stick
Old 11-28-2021, 01:58 AM

Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by esimms86 View Post
Not to hijack your thread, however, you may or may not know this:

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/emmett-chapman-stick
Thanks, I was going to mention that in a reply. I met Emmett three times, twice in Interlochen Michigan and at a bar a block from the NAMM 2015 show. Also exchanged many emails with him and his wife Yuta over the years since 2004 when I bought my first one, an 8 String NS Stick. That instrument was a collaboration between Emmett and Ned Steinberger.

The Stick community was my gateway to acoustic guitar via Stickist Steve Osburn who owns Oz’s Music in Ann Arbor. I took lessons with Oz and then took guitar lessons with him. In tandem I discovered another guy named Glenn Poorman who ironically went to the same high school as me. He was an Interlochen Alumni and from going to the Stick Seminars I discovered the Fingerstyle Acoustic guitar seminars. After being let in initially with an electric, I got into buying acoustic guitars.

In 2010 I reconnected with relatives I had not seen since I was a kid when I attended a Stick seminar in Melbourne Australia. I took the same Stick that I used in this video with me. I own three Sticks as of today.

Through Oz and Interlochen I started playing live again. Had to move up to Northern Michigan when my employer relocated our facility. By chance I met someone I knew from a seminar, and met more musicians where I’ve been playing live at open mics.

Most Stickists play other instruments as well, even Emmett was a really good guitar player, and was really good at accordion and piano as well. Despite being a stringed instrument, the Stick has more in common with a piano than a guitar in the manner of how it’s played.

I’m 55, played band instruments as a kid, been playing electric bass since 16, but it wasn’t until 2004 when I took up Stick that I’ve met an amazing number of professional musicians ranging from bassist/Stickist Tony Levin to Laurence Juber at various events and seminars. If it wasn’t for Emmett, I’d pretty much still be mostly a bedroom musician working out of a DAW.

Never expected to receive so much from taking up an instrument very few people have ever seen.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber