The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-16-2021, 01:56 AM

Default Emerald Questions

I've been seduced by the Emerald Guitar builder. What a sales tool that is!
So I want to buy an Emerald and, like many I think, I'm having a time deciding between an X7 and an X20. I have a few questions that I'm hoping someone here can help with.

The gloss finish on the neck. How are you all getting on with that? I associate gloss finishes on necks as getting sticky and slow with sweaty hands. Your thoughts?

24.5" scale on an X7 and/or 25" scale on an X20. Anyone have one of these? How is the intonation? Emerald's way of changing scale length has me curious how it might effect sound.

Can anyone provide comparison photos (side by side) of a 2nd gen X7 next to a wood guitar like a 00 or 000? Frustratingly difficult to find. Pics of an X20 next to these wood classics would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help with these Qs.

Cheers,
Kevin

Last edited by Corndog; 11-16-2021 at 02:06 AM.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:36 AM

i have an x20 and an amicus. i don't have a problem with the neck slickness.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
i have an x20 and an amicus. i don't have a problem with the neck slickness.
Likewise - and an X20-7, none of which have ever caused me a problem with the neck finish.

Sorry, I can’t help with your other questions, but I’m sure there are others here who can
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-16-2021, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
Can anyone provide comparison photos (side by side) of a 2nd gen X7 next to a wood guitar like a 00 or 000? Frustratingly difficult to find. Pics of an X20 next to these wood classics would also be appreciated.
I knew I’d seen a picture recently - check this out:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=630701
Cordoba Stage

Old 11-16-2021, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

I've been keeping a small library of scaled images of guitars I'm considering buying, but can't actually get my hands on to try. If you have a particular 00 or 000 you'd like to compare the X7 and X20 to let me know. I can send you a comparison.

I decided on an X20 rather than the X7 mostly because of the comments on the forum and elsewhere that say the X20 body feels smaller than an OM because of its ergonomic design. The other issue, for me, is the scale length - not because of the wider fret spacing on the 25.5" scale of the standard X20 - but because my aging joints no longer like a long reach out to the nut. I always play seated with the guitar on my right knee (I'm right handed). So the distance from the guitar waist to the nut gives me an idea of how far that reach will be. I asked Kevin at Emerald to measure that and he told me its 21", if that helps in your decision.

e.jpg
Old 11-16-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I knew I’d seen a picture recently - check this out:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=630701
I saw that pic that Kevin H posted but it's a cut and paste image and not an actual photograph so how can one tell how accurate it is for comparison purposes?
Thank you though!
Old 11-16-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I've been keeping a small library of scaled images of guitars I'm considering buying, but can't actually get my hands on to try. If you have a particular 00 or 000 you'd like to compare the X7 and X20 to let me know. I can send you a comparison.

I decided on an X20 rather than the X7 mostly because of the comments on the forum and elsewhere that say the X20 body feels smaller than an OM because of its ergonomic design. The other issue, for me, is the scale length - not because of the wider fret spacing on the 25.5" scale of the standard X20 - but because my aging joints no longer like a long reach out to the nut. I always play seated with the guitar on my right knee (I'm right handed). So the distance from the guitar waist to the nut gives me an idea of how far that reach will be. I asked Kevin at Emerald to measure that and he told me its 21", if that helps in your decision.

Attachment 65262
Any 14 fret 00 should suffice, I think. Mine are a 00-18 and a 00-15M.

Regarding scale length (X20), I would consider ordering one with a 25" scale though my greater concern with the X20 is the lower bout width.

Thanks for the diagram.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

I’ll try to send you a picture of my 000-18 and my X7 I received a few days ago. Wish I had been able to play a X7 before I bought my Martin. I would have just bought the X7 and been real happy. No neck issues at all. My next guitar will be a X20.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingThru View Post
I’ll try to send you a picture of my 000-18 and my X7 I received a few days ago.
That'd be great, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingThru View Post
Wish I had been able to play a X7 before I bought my Martin. I would have just bought the X7 and been real happy. No neck issues at all. My next guitar will be a X20.
When you get a chance, can you elaborate about your X7-00018 experience?
Old 11-16-2021, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

I know its hard to find comparisons of body sizes online. Here is a comparison of a 00-18V to the X20 and X7. The X20 is a picture of an actual guitar from Emerald's gallery. I think I got the X7 from the online builder, but I suspect its pretty accurate. Each image is separately adjusted to have the same scale using the dimensions on Emerald's website and from measurements of my 00-18V. So it should be pretty close.

em1.jpg

And here they are on top of one another so you can judge the body size. Left is 00-18V and X20. Right is 00-18V and X-7.

em2.jpg

You can see that the body of the X20 looks bigger, and is bigger according to the dimensions. I'm hoping the ergonomics make it feel smaller.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I saw that pic that Kevin H posted but it's a cut and paste image and not an actual photograph so how can one tell how accurate it is for comparison purposes?
Thank you though!
You’re welcome. As Kevin has pointed out, he scales the images for comparison purposes.
Cordoba Stage

Old 11-16-2021, 04:24 PM

That is very helpful Kevin. Thanks for putting that together!

The X7's body size looks closer to what I'm looking for, but the position of the bridge and the short scale bother me.
The X20's dimensions, overall, look more "right" to me so I'm leaning that way.

I'll sit tight for awhile, after all it's not like I NEED another guitar. Next year I'll order one and in the meanwhile might get a chance to try an X20.

I hoping to hear from someone who chose a shorter scale option for the X20 and any thoughts about it.
Old 11-16-2021, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

It's really important to keep in mind that an Emerald's bevels and contours make a bit larger guitar more comfortable than the outline from the front might indicate. While we hold a typical guitar with 90 degree angles, playing an Emerald is more like an embrace...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-16-2021, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Corndog, where are you located? I’m wondering if you’re close enough to an Emerald-owning AGF member who might be willing to let you have a try.
Cordoba Stage

Old 11-16-2021, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...The X7's body size looks closer to what I'm looking for, but the position of the bridge and the short scale bother me.
The X20's dimensions, overall, look more "right" to me so I'm leaning that way.
That's the conclusion I came to as well. And I think if you lengthen the scale on the X7 it pushes the bridge back further. If you shorten it on the X20, it brings the bridge forward. Neither seemed appealing to me, but then I don't know how it affects the tone, if at all. Just need to buy one of each! Or find someone close to you that has one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber