The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-14-2017, 11:15 AM

Default Again...AGF and a Wealth of Knowledge

Today I spent some time changing the action on two of my guitars.
They weren't terrible, but I wanted better. I measured the string height on my other two which play like butter and got 3/32" at the twelfth fret, maybe a "hair" under. I measured the other two and they were both at about 4/32" or a tad over.
So...I loosened the strings on both guitars,popped out both saddles and went to work. Put everything back together and voila' 3/32" or a "hair" under on those two now.
Then just for fun, I did a search and found this by AGF member Charles Tauber:

"The typical string height measurements given, 3/32" on the bass E, and a little less on the high E, are measured with the strings unfretted, the vertical distance from the top of the 12th fret to the bottom of the string."

Now, I don't know Charles personally but I have read tons of his posts and he is very knowledgeable. It's great to have folks like him as helpers. I know what I like in the way of action, but to be able to have it confirmed that I'm "right in the ballpark" is a cool thing. Thanks Charles!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-14-2017, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

5/64's is also mentioned a lot. I love a good setup.
Do you use the 6" aluminum scale, or a Stewart Mac tool?
I do recommend those.

But getting a good visual looking down the neck is also good to verify that your neck relief is ideal. (Utube a demonstration how to perform).

I have found that some of my 7 acoustics need a little tweak on the truss rod now that the summer of 2017 has elapsed.

I whole heartily agree and am very appreciative of all the threads on AGF.

I wish that we all could space time a 3 hour bluegrass song with 400 of us getting 2 go rounds a piece, to see and hear everyone.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:51 AM
Musical minimalist

Check the action on the treble side and also the action at the nut (really picky about that) Then, learn to do fine compensation at the saddle if needed and you'll be golden.

Old 11-14-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Thanks Charles!

Glad to be of help.

A longer version is my Basic Guitar Setup 101 found at: http://charlestauber.com/luthier/Resources.html
Old 11-14-2017, 01:27 PM

Charles' contributions here have definitely helped me to get my guitars set up. I've gotten fair at getting them where I want them. However, the compensation of the saddle thing mentioned by Fitness1 eludes me though I really NEED to know how to do that. I think it's a bit above skill level and tool availability.

Several other knowledgeable guys here as well are always helping keep the agf-related guitars in good shape. I'd leave out some if I tried to list them, but we know who they are. Thanks to all of you!
Old 11-14-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Glad to be of help.

A longer version is my Basic Guitar Setup 101 found at: http://charlestauber.com/luthier/Resources.html
Thanks for this.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
5/64's is also mentioned a lot. I love a good setup.
Do you use the 6" aluminum scale, or a Stewart Mac tool?
I do recommend those.

But getting a good visual looking down the neck is also good to verify that your neck relief is ideal. (Utube a demonstration how to perform).

I have found that some of my 7 acoustics need a little tweak on the truss rod now that the summer of 2017 has elapsed.

I whole heartily agree and am very appreciative of all the threads on AGF.

I wish that we all could space time a 3 hour bluegrass song with 400 of us getting 2 go rounds a piece, to see and hear everyone.
I use a 6" aluminum scale. I find it works for me just fine.
the tweaking of the truss rod is something I find a need to to if I change strings with more or less tension and only if it's drastic. I've learned 12-53's or 12-54's are where I land so once I get a good setup, not much tweaking is needed .

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion