The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-12-2021, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
Indeed those other points you make do add value to an Emerald. Here's another one: Stainless Steel Frets. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I'm a fan. Their wear resistance is reassuring when you get your blues thing a'goin and want to bend, a lot. Tougher with lots of capo use, and SS frets are smoother as well.
I'd add the PLEK process - I've owned lots of new guitars but never had one whose action that was so precise as my new X20. As long as we're singing Emerald's virtues, I love the lightweight Hiscox case which is evidently not available anywhere as a standalone anymore. There's also no guitar manufacturer that offers the array or number of options that Alistair and the guys do...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-12-2021, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndog View Post
...Many of us haven't played an Emerald and we occasionally buy a guitar like a Pig in a Poke. That's why we read these threads and reviews.

00 sized guitars are my preference as well and have two currently. It seems the X20 plays smaller than it is and the X7 sounds larger than it is. Really, it's the scale length that is the main detractor for me about the X7.
That was my main concern as well - not being able to play one or even see how it fits. But I've made that blind leap before and its worked out. Fingers crossed.

Yes, everyone says the ergonomic shape of the X20 makes it feel smaller than an OM. That's what I'm hoping for.
Old 11-12-2021, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

I suspect it has to do with their layup moulds. I can imagine it's much easier to just move the bridge back to lengthen the scale, keeping the total guitar length the same. I asked them about that but didn't get a good explanation. I was going to go with a shorter scale on the X20 but, like you, didn't like the resulting bridge placement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I also waiver back and forth between an X20 and an X7. I've been asking for years for a Goldilocks stock guitar. There must be something about Emerald's process that isn't kind to a 24.9" guitar that puts the bridge right in the sweet spot of the lower bout of such an instrument (aka 12 fret RainSong Shorty- the most comfortable guitar I've ever had scale wise).

In my not very humble opinion, and this is not a slight on Emerald at all as I will one day finally have one (once I make up my mind); but for all of the customization they do, all of their upcharge scale options move the bridge in weird spots of the guitar. The only exception to this, with the bridge right where I would want is the X7.

Having said that, Is the stock X7 .75 to 1" shorter than I would like? Yes.

Could I live with it? Yes.

Could I even pay to have such Goldilocks guitar made? Not that I can see.
Old 11-12-2021, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
There's also no guitar manufacturer that offers the array or number of options that Alistair and the guys do...
Not sure I agree with that, I suspect they are available, but not likely for the same cost.
Old 11-12-2021, 04:48 PM

I just sat through the entire video, which I found interesting. I've been considering a CF guitar (my wife has a CF cello for outdoor gigs which is a sound cannon). The Emerald seemed to have considerably less volume than the other two. Anyone else hear that (or not, lol).
2021 Furch Yellow Gc-CR MC FOR SALE
2023 Hatcher Greta

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber