The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-15-2024, 11:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Caulfield Atlas - The Subscriber Custom

Hi Guys!

Over the last few weeks I asked my email subscribers to vote on the spec of guitar they would like; and I built it!

As many of you know, I started on this journey over 3 years ago. In that time, there have been many challenges and hurdles; but I finally have the guitar I was dreaming off.

As with my previous prototypes; this was moulded in a single piece in my completely unique process. This means the perfect ratio of carbon to resin; and a lighter more refined soundboard. This instrument shows of a number of other significant improvements I have made including an improved bridge design; new materials, new finishes, Inlays, Neck binding.... just to name a few! The design may seem relatively unchanged but it's a very different beast!

I still regard this as a prototype, but I hope to make a small batch in the next few weeks.

Let me know your thoughts! A massive thank you to everyone whos followed along or got involved over the last three years! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter if you want to see updates first; or have your say in my next builds.

Spec of this guitar:
Colour: Teal Blue
Pickup: LR Baggs Anthem (mic/piezo)
Locking Tuners, With Tulip Style Buttons
Mother Of Pearl style binding
Mother of Pearl Style Inlays
White Soundhole Pinstripes
Stainless Steel Frets
Pinned Bridge

Videos to follow! Please excuse any dust or smudges on the guitar; I took these photos in an excited rush right after stringing it up and giving it a play! :P
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pascal-3.jpg (37.6 KB, 340 views)
File Type: jpg Pascal-6.jpg (43.0 KB, 335 views)
File Type: jpg Pascal-7.jpg (39.6 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg Pascal-9.jpg (35.3 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg Pascal-11.jpg (37.3 KB, 329 views)
File Type: jpg Pascal-13.jpg (41.4 KB, 331 views)
Old 02-15-2024, 11:25 AM
Anticipation Junkie

That痴 a nice looking guitar. Like the color. What are the sizing specs?
Old 02-15-2024, 01:03 PM

Love the teal color. Reminds me a lot of the Rainsong 25th anniversary that was a similar color.
Old 02-15-2024, 03:23 PM

Quote:
a lighter more refined soundboard
Light enough for nylon strings?
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 02-15-2024, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Looks really nice Simon!
Old 02-15-2024, 05:41 PM
Charter Member

The unique soundhole design is really growing on me. Great work.
Old 02-16-2024, 04:29 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
That痴 a nice looking guitar. Like the color. What are the sizing specs?
Thanks so much! It's quite similar specs to a very traditional parlour guitar, but with the comfort bevels, I was able to increase the body depth a little without impacting comfort. As standard the specs are as follows, but I am considering offering quit a bit of customisation:

Scale Length: 630mm (24.8")
Nut Width: 44mm (1.75")
Fretboard Radius: 350mm (14")
Body Depth (at tail): 110mm (4.3)
Lower Bout:335 (13.2")

Overall it's a very compact guitar; and I've really focused on comfort and the things I wanted in a guitar but couldn't find.

If you'd like to know anything else; just let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile640 View Post
Love the teal color. Reminds me a lot of the Rainsong 25th anniversary that was a similar color.
I have never seen those before; just had a look and they are beautiful!

The colour really changes a lot. In direct sunlight it really "pops" and can look more green than blue! I'm thrilled with how it came out; and I'm glad my subscribers voted for it because i was going to leave it black carbon! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Light enough for nylon strings?
Definitely something I want to explore. My thinnest top is around 0.8mm in areas; and I think i could make for a brillant Nylon instrument. It is however a very different challenge and something that's going to take some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Looks really nice Simon!
Thanks so much

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFidele View Post
The unique soundhole design is really growing on me. Great work.
Thanks! I really wanted something unique and instantly recognisable, but also simple and elegant. I have been walking a very fine line, and the sound holes have evolved very slightly both for sound and aesthetic. I'm happy with where I've landed! It might not appeal to traditionalists; but then they probably aren't going for a carbon guitar anyway :P
Old 02-16-2024, 11:39 AM

Loving the combination of vintage style and new materials....this looks fantastic!
Old 02-16-2024, 12:13 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Thanks for the specs, Simon. What’s the overall length and weight of this version? Do you have photos of the back, and a better close-up of the headstock, front and back?

Last edited by Acousticado; 02-16-2024 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-16-2024, 02:30 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
Loving the combination of vintage style and new materials....this looks fantastic!
Thanks so much!

Quote:
Thanks for the specs, Simon. What痴 the overall length and weight of this version? Do you have photos of the back, and a better close-up of the headstock, front and back?
Overall length is 940mm (37")
This one weighs 1.8kg (around 4lbs)

I've attached a few more photos. Again; please forgive the fingerprints and dust. This is just an area in the corner of my very dusty workshop; and the photos were taken in haste right after stringing it up and playing it! :P Im not a much of a photographer; but hopefully they give you an idea! At some point i'll give it a proper clean and have some more professional images taken! :P

Let me know if you have any more questions
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pascal-14.jpg (31.2 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg Pascal-15.jpg (31.4 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg Pascal-16.jpg (33.7 KB, 273 views)
Old 02-16-2024, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon@Caulfield View Post
Hi Guys!

Over the last few weeks I asked my email subscribers to vote on the spec of guitar they would like; and I built it!

As many of you know, I started on this journey over 3 years ago. In that time, there have been many challenges and hurdles; but I finally have the guitar I was dreaming off.

As with my previous prototypes; this was moulded in a single piece in my completely unique process. This means the perfect ratio of carbon to resin; and a lighter more refined soundboard. This instrument shows of a number of other significant improvements I have made including an improved bridge design; new materials, new finishes, Inlays, Neck binding.... just to name a few! The design may seem relatively unchanged but it's a very different beast!

I still regard this as a prototype, but I hope to make a small batch in the next few weeks.

Let me know your thoughts! A massive thank you to everyone whos followed along or got involved over the last three years! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter if you want to see updates first; or have your say in my next builds.

Spec of this guitar:
Colour: Teal Blue
Pickup: LR Baggs Anthem (mic/piezo)
Locking Tuners, With Tulip Style Buttons
Mother Of Pearl style binding
Mother of Pearl Style Inlays
White Soundhole Pinstripes
Stainless Steel Frets
Pinned Bridge

Videos to follow! Please excuse any dust or smudges on the guitar; I took these photos in an excited rush right after stringing it up and giving it a play! :P
Simon, That's a beautiful guitar and I'm getting GAS!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 02-16-2024, 04:31 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Thanks again, Simon. I really like the headstock design as well. Great looking guitar. I知 looking forward to hearing sound clips and more discussion about the Atlas. Perhaps too early for you to say, but I知 curious at what price point this guitar will be offered. I知 sure I知 not alone.
Old 02-17-2024, 01:49 PM

That's a great looking guitar for sure!! Well done!
Old 02-19-2024, 05:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Thanks again, Simon. I really like the headstock design as well. Great looking guitar. I知 looking forward to hearing sound clips and more discussion about the Atlas. Perhaps too early for you to say, but I知 curious at what price point this guitar will be offered. I知 sure I知 not alone.
Thanks I've tried to keep a pretty consistent theme of simple flowing curves.

At the minute I'm trying to work out a pricing structure. I am considering offering two base models; One with a higher finish as standard. There are several factors at the minute that I'm struggling with; primarily finding a case manufacturer. I previously had several custom cases made; but that supplier has stopped responding leaving me to seek alternatives.

That being said, I have been aiming for a starting price of around $2600usd. This isn't final; and may vary a little with shipping etc but hopefully that gives you an idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaemc2 View Post
That's a great looking guitar for sure!! Well done!
Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Simon, That's a beautiful guitar and I'm getting GAS!
Thanks, I really appreciate it!
GAS? Is this a medical thing or does it stand for something? :P
Old 02-19-2024, 10:15 AM

Default gorgeous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon@Caulfield View Post
Thanks so much! It's quite similar specs to a very traditional parlour guitar, but with the comfort bevels, I was able to increase the body depth a little without impacting comfort. As standard the specs are as follows, but I am considering offering quit a bit of customisation:
=
Scale Length: 630mm (24.8")
Nut Width: 44mm (1.75")
Fretboard Radius: 350mm (14")
Body Depth (at tail): 110mm (4.3)
Lower Bout:335 (13.2")

Overall it's a very compact guitar; and I've really focused on comfort and the things I wanted in a guitar but couldn't find.

If you'd like to know anything else; just let me know.

I have never seen those before; just had a look and they are beautiful!

The colour really changes a lot. In direct sunlight it really "pops" and can look more green than blue! I'm thrilled with how it came out; and I'm glad my subscribers voted for it because i was going to leave it black carbon! :P

Definitely something I want to explore. My thinnest top is around 0.8mm in areas; and I think i could make for a brillant Nylon instrument. It is however a very different challenge and something that's going to take some time.

Thanks so much

Thanks! I really wanted something unique and instantly recognisable, but also simple and elegant. I have been walking a very fine line, and the sound holes have evolved very slightly both for sound and aesthetic. I'm happy with where I've landed! It might not appeal to traditionalists; but then they probably aren't going for a carbon guitar anyway :P
====================================
Man, you're not a builder....you're an artist! That thing is gorgeous!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber