The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-03-2017, 08:41 PM
Anticipation Junkie

^^^^^
What the good Capt. said.....much better than I could. Those accused of having an agenda really have none, so let's put this all behind us and move on...let the discussions go where they may. In fact, maybe this thread should be locked. The issue of tone has been sufficiently dealt with.
Old 05-03-2017, 08:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsstrider View Post
"My platform: a chicken in every pot, a car in every garage, two CF guitars in every music room. Well, except for you folks who own a bunch of 'em - you get to keep as many as you want. "

Please pm me for my address to send me my second C.F. guitar. Thanks. Oh, and if not too much trouble the cocobola would be preferred.
So, apparently, you are new to the whole idea of campaign promises? I will have to take care of some world peace stuff the first day, but then I'll get right on it. With or without some sapwood contrast?

Time for me to call it a night.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:08 PM

I should be able to shed some light on this, when my Woody T8 arrives. I will give it a shoot out with the Opus T8.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

To quote Joe Walsh....It's hard to leave when you can't find the door.

I enjoyed this topic....I did learn something, and was really only attacked by one guy that I don't think read all the posts. Could be wrong, but it don't really matter. I love my Rainsong, I love my Emerald, I wish I had a Cargo, I love the CF forum. All quality folks from my view.

Now what's the next topic?
Old 05-03-2017, 10:27 PM

Drank my coke. I still have some popcorn left though. Waiting for the new Woody T8 thread to start.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 05-03-2017, 10:34 PM

We all agree since Alistar chimed in there will be some change in tone. But remember. He lined up 10. When I bought my Martin d35 in '72 how many did I try....two. My Martin j1240 in the '80's. I tried one and compared it to a Taylor kotkee. So if there was a 'change' how would we know unless you've a bunch of emeralds. The tone of my Martin's and my composite acoustic is mine. Come from my fingers. When I get my emerald it will be mine too.

Also. I don't say much but read the forum every few days. Spend a lot of time here. Made some friends who're getting me through some tough time. Enjoy the heated discussions. But trust we're all friends and 'given the right event' could swap licks, stories together. I'm a Beefeater Tom Collins guy.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mot View Post
Drank my coke. I still have some popcorn left though. Waiting for the new Woody T8 thread to start.
Might be a long wait. And this thread may have been buried. We got to keep this alive. I propose you X20 Woody and X20 Artisan chaps to gather and sort this out. The world want to know the truth.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:37 PM

Wait.. only 2 CF guitars?... well maybe just before the third and fourth... just sayin'
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 05-04-2017, 06:41 PM

Yes. The conclusions would Have greater validity with a larger cohort.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Wait.. only 2 CF guitars?... well maybe just before the third and fourth... just sayin'
Just a campaign slogan. One must provide for oneself. I feel for all those people out there who have no CF guitars... oh, the humanity! Rest assured that those who have more than two will not have to give up any - they will be the role models for those who live without the benefit of CF.

Now, it is time for all the little children of the world to hold hands and sing in harmony... while you CF players accompany them.

A restful day and evening here. Nice.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:39 AM
Guest 928

Nothing like a good night's sleep to get the motors running. I think veneers enhance the quality of CF sound.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I feel for all those people out there who have [I
no[/I] CF guitars... oh, the humanity! Rest assured that those who have more than two will not have to give up any - they will be the role models for those who live without the benefit of CF.
I think the Doritos slogan applies here.... Don't worry we will make more
Old 05-05-2017, 09:19 PM

FWIW, I make guitars with wood veneer over CF and without. When developing the guitar I noticed a difference and chose a different CF weave for the veneered soundboards. I only make a few guitars a year, and the development process was done by experimenting with a little under a dozen different configurations before I settled on a weave/layup/composite. So that may not be a terribly scientific sampling. Still, I've been hand tuning tops for a dozen years before I started building with CF, and I trust my ears. I feel now that the sound is pretty consistent between my non-veneer tops and veneer tops.

That said, I understood Emerald guitars to say that they alter their layup to compensate for the wood veneer. So it seems like there are at least two builders perspectives that say that the wood veneer does affect the sound --but we take that into account in the build process.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:31 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwtwguitar View Post
FWIW, I make guitars with wood veneer over CF and without. When developing the guitar I noticed a difference and chose a different CF weave for the veneered soundboards. I only make a few guitars a year, and the development process was done by experimenting with a little under a dozen different configurations before I settled on a weave/layup/composite. So that may not be a terribly scientific sampling. Still, I've been hand tuning tops for a dozen years before I started building with CF, and I trust my ears. I feel now that the sound is pretty consistent between my non-veneer tops and veneer tops.

That said, I understood Emerald guitars to say that they alter their layup to compensate for the wood veneer. So it seems like there are at least two builders perspectives that say that the wood veneer does affect the sound --but we take that into account in the build process.
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing your insight and experience. Do you have a website or pics of your guitars? Are you selling them?
Old 05-06-2017, 02:25 AM

This is their HomePage: http://rwtwguitars.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber