The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-26-2024, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Default Powered Speaker(s) with Grace Design Felix

I have decided to get a Grace Design Felix as a preamp for my K&K equipped guitars. Anyone find a good match in terms of powered speakers to amplify the outs of the Felix? I probably need just one speaker but may use two in certain settings.

What are the best choices to consider?
Old 03-26-2024, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtacoustic View Post
I have decided to get a Grace Design Felix as a preamp for my K&K equipped guitars. Anyone find a good match in terms of powered speakers to amplify the outs of the Felix? I probably need just one speaker but may use two in certain settings.

What are the best choices to consider?
Any good speaker will work; there's no need to "match" anything to the Felix. You'll get lots of opinions as there are plenty of great options out there these days, but I run my Grace Alix into two QSC K10.2s (via a mixer in between, although it could be run straight in if I didn't need more inputs).
Old 03-26-2024, 04:55 PM

I've recently gone back to doing just this; I'm using a K8.2 and it sounds great. Make sure that you get a Felix2 so that you have separate effects loops for vocals/guitar (otherwise the channels share one loop via the blend knob).
Old 03-26-2024, 07:25 PM

EAW RS123. Best speakers I’ve ever had and I’ve had a bunch.
Old 03-28-2024, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperMoon View Post
I've recently gone back to doing just this; I'm using a K8.2 and it sounds great. Make sure that you get a Felix2 so that you have separate effects loops for vocals/guitar (otherwise the channels share one loop via the blend knob).
So, are you using the Felix2 to run your vocal mic thru or just mic’ing your guitar? I’m getting ready to buy an Alix….but, my ears perked up with the mention of vocal mic!?!
Old 03-29-2024, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppy View Post
So, are you using the Felix2 to run your vocal mic thru or just mic’ing your guitar? I’m getting ready to buy an Alix….but, my ears perked up with the mention of vocal mic!?!
Vocal mic into ch1, guitar into ch2. I'm sending ch1 out at mic level and ch2 set to 'mix', with the blend knob all the way over to ch2, so that I can use the effects loop for a couple of pedals (compression, reverb/delay, looper). I have to configure it this way so that the vocal mic doesn't inherit the guitar effects.

Keep in mind that I have to do this workaround because it's a Felix 1; the new Felix has separate effects loops for channel 1 and 2! (There's also a dip switch to defeat the boost on Ch1 and only boost Ch2).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification