The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-11-2024, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicOsmo View Post
This is a super helpful post for me, as my current #1 guitar also has a K&K trinity (SBT + internal mic), and I'm looking to use the TD2 for dual source in exactly the way you are. I like the ability to dial in more mic when feedback allows, but still have the ability to sound good with the SBT only in situations where the mic would be problematic.

Did you end up combining the mic/SBT with the crossover functionality, or did you just blend some mic in on top of the full-frequency SBT signal with the wavemap? My current (non-tonedexter) setup only uses the low end from the SBT and the highs from the mic, but I wonder if that's optimal with the TD2 given that the highs from the SBT are so much more natural thanks to the wavemap.

I have done both the blend and the crossover with the microphone. I have landed on using the crossover mode- frequency is near the bottom of the range- somewhere between 200-250hz.

My next guitar will get an Ultratonic pickup- and I won’t add a mic initially just to see how dialed I can get with just the wavemap. I don’t think a mic is necessary, but I enjoy how my guitar fits in with our band with the mic more than without it.

You could EASILY create presets both with and without the mic blend in order to tailor the setup to your room/setting.
Kopp K-35 (in the queue)
Old 03-11-2024, 12:53 PM
Charter Member

For anyone who’s already gotten theirs - James and Josh have released firmware version 2.0 - so many updates and improvements, the best thing to do is just go to his support site where you can read the lengthy list, then download and install the update - it’s about a 2 minute process -

I’ve been keeping mum about testing the beta, and it’s been outstanding, but they threw in a couple more updates/improvements before releasing 2.0, and I haven’t checked it all out yet -

Enjoy! https://audiosprockets.com/support/software/
Old 03-11-2024, 07:18 PM
Charter Member

It always amazes me just how much stuff is tweakable via a firmware update. Points to a really well designed piece of equipment.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemike View Post
It always amazes me just how much stuff is tweakable via a firmware update. Points to a really well designed piece of equipment.

Agree- it’s quite fascinating to me.

Tadol- thanks for posting about Firmware 2.0. I was not aware of its progress!
Kopp K-35 (in the queue)
Old 03-12-2024, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

I’ve debated about a separate thread for the 2.0 update, but anyone really interested is hopefully checking this thread -

But James also helped me with a problem - using capabilities right in front of me, but I hadn't seen -

I have an old (‘90) Cumpiano 12string made for Matt Umanov - a very odd bird, a thin (1.5”) body 00 size, routed out one-piece mahogany back/sides, with an applied sitka soundboard, braced and configured like a regular acoustic. It has I believe a Bluestick or similar undersaddle wire pickup, with a built in 9v preamp with volume & stacked treble/bass controls. When I got it, I was pretty impressed with the electric nature of it, but it was not very acoustic sounding. Since then, I’ve put UltraTonic pickups in a couple guitars, and I’ve gotten the Tone Dexter, amd have really adjusted my expectations - so a couple days ago I pulled this Cumpiano out and am quite dismayed at how it sounds straight in - too much like an electric, with all the problems of an undersaddle. I ran it through the TD2, and the EQ adjustments were good, almost good enough, but I realized how spoiled I was with using the UT pickup, so I reached out to James to see if he thought an Ultratonic might be good retrofit, and he had a better idea -

I tried a few wavemaps I’d made for other guitars with the Cumpiano until I found one that seemed to work pretty well Then went into the control's and adjusted EQ, spaciousness, etc, until I had a pretty good sound, much better than before, and then “baked” those adjustments into the wavemap, saved and renamed it.

Now, I just plug in the Cumpiano, choose the saved wavemap, and it sounds darn good right off the bat. There is still a “sound” from this undersaddle pickup that I can’t quite dial out, but it’s amazing how much better this sounds. Before I say I’m satisfied, I want to try plugging in my K&K equipped 12 string and get a couple of wavemaps made with that, and try those with the Cumpiano - because maybe I need a 12 string wavemap to start with? Not sure -

What I am sure of is the general versatility and quality of the TD2 is outstanding - and I know more is yet to come!
Old 03-15-2024, 02:12 PM

Thanks a lot to James May and team, and also to Tadol and others here and other beta testers, for the hard work that went into Firmware update v2.0!

I don't have my ToneDexter II with me, it's with a rig builder who is wiring my pedalboard together, and I'll update it when they've sent it all back. However, I'm still keeping up with everything.

One thing I don't want anyone to overlook is that new demo video that Sweetwater posted. I saw it close to when it first dropped, but here it is in case there's anyone that hasn't yet seen it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrIDDIHA7BA
Old 03-16-2024, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Great video
Old 03-16-2024, 01:12 PM

Please forgive me if this has been asked on earlier pages, but how much better in essential function (in how it improves the sound of the pickup) is Tonedexter Version 2 than Tonedexter Version 1? I am a long time user and fan of Version 1 which has been a God send. Is it 10% better, 20% better, about the same or whatever (and I am not talking about all the obvious improvements, just its essential function). Thanks
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 03-16-2024, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
Please forgive me if this has been asked on earlier pages, but how much better in essential function (in how it improves the sound of the pickup) is Tonedexter Version 2 than Tonedexter Version 1? I am a long time user and fan of Version 1 which has been a God send. Is it 10% better, 20% better, about the same or whatever (and I am not talking about all the obvious improvements, just its essential function). Thanks
I've got both the original ToneDexter and ToneDexter II. I find the ToneDexter II makes it easier to render and manipulate WaveMaps. I can't put a percentage improvement to the ToneDexter II WaveMaps but it seems the WaveMaps I've generated with it sound better initially and even better after manipulation with the pedal's control parameters. Now, what to do with my original ToneDexter?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-16-2024, 04:43 PM

Thanks. There is only one used Tonedexter on Reverb and the guy wants something $550 with shipping. I love the new features of the new version, but the old one works great. Quite a dilemma. The first version was a real game changer for me. But the new one seems like a pretty big leap forward in many ways.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 03-16-2024, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
There was a fairly lengthy but quite enlightening interview on YouTube where James May said that the ToneDexter II's WaveMaps do indeed have significant improvements over the ones generated by the TD I. I did not own a TD I, I only own the TD II since my interest in the TD's developed during the supply shortage when the TD I's were selling for $800 each. I'm not sure if the WaveMap improvements can be quantified to a percentage, but I personally think that lumping that together with all the other improvements do warrant an upgrade if someone uses a ToneDexter regularly. The WaveMap creation wizard and fine-grained controls and all sorts of other upgrades are worth it. But I can't of course speak authoritatively because I didn't own the first version.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idimata View Post
There was a fairly lengthy but quite enlightening interview on YouTube where James May said that the ToneDexter II's WaveMaps do indeed have significant improvements over the ones generated by the TD I. I did not own a TD I, I only own the TD II since my interest in the TD's developed during the supply shortage when the TD I's were selling for $800 each. I'm not sure if the WaveMap improvements can be quantified to a percentage, but I personally think that lumping that together with all the other improvements do warrant an upgrade if someone uses a ToneDexter regularly. The WaveMap creation wizard and fine-grained controls and all sorts of other upgrades are worth it. But I can't of course speak authoritatively because I didn't own the first version.
If I were regularly playing "out," which I'm not, for various reasons, and if I were getting paid gigs again, I'd be tempted to upgrade.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 03-18-2024, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
If I were regularly playing "out," which I'm not, for various reasons, and if I were getting paid gigs again, I'd be tempted to upgrade.
That's okay, at least you have an OG ToneDexter!
Old 03-23-2024, 07:47 PM

Just wondering about some of the routing on the tdii. If you are running dual source in can you run one of the sources tothe effects loop on its own?or is the effects loop global?

Ordered my tdii so I'll be getting it when the next lot comes in!
Old 03-30-2024, 10:35 AM

Just a quick nontechnical question. I’ve had the TD2 for a few weeks and am really impressed with it. Is there a way on the AS site to register the product? I’ve looked and can’t find it. Thanks
Guild A-150 Savoy, T-50 Slim
Reverend PA-1
Fender Std. Tele
2 Tele partcasters
Taylor 810-LTD, 314-MCE, 717-BE
Martin HD-35, D-18, 00-28, CEO-7, OM-28, 000-18, 00015-sm, M-36
Carr Rambler
Fender ‘68 Custom Deluxe Reverb
Takamine 12-string
1966 Strat
1966 Ampeg Gemini I
1964 Kay archtop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification