The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-12-2018, 04:09 PM

Default Mahogany top: how about volume and headroom compared to to Sitka?

What about headroom and volume when it comes to mahogany top (I’m thinking especially about Martin 15 serie) , does it handle the comparaison with Sitka ?
Jackson US Soloist

Youtube - Reverbnation - Twitter - Facebook

Old 12-12-2018, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

I have about 30 guitars and have had hundreds. The only guitar I've ever been loyal to is my 2008 Martin 000-15 because it literally sounds better and can do more than any guitar I've owned.

It's plenty loud, full low end, rich highs, dreamy mids. It fits in fine in a jamb with guys playing big dreads with heavy strings and heavy picks. I play with my bare fingers and fingernail most of the time using light strings. It's a monster.

That being said, while I think they are the best overall value in guitars, I think I got a really, really, really good one. It just outperforms everything I've put up against it, even much bigger guitars.

I believe that the 15 series doesn't look anything like the one I have anymore (different woods, bridge pins, tuners, neck joint, etc), so I can't speak to the newer ones. I still beleive they are the best buy in the business, though.

I have played some D15s that blew the doors off the D28s in the jamb and the Collings, Bourgeois, etc equivalents.

Maybe others share my experience and it's not a fluke, but mine is exceptionally full, rich and loud and is the reason I don't play big guitars anymore....I don't have to.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:15 PM

I had a Martin OM 15e all Mahogany and an Eastman E6 OM Limited, Sitka/ Mahogany. The Eastman was definitely louder and had more punch. The Martin sounded sweet and warm. They were both great guitars in their own way.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-12-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
I have about 30 guitars and have had hundreds. The only guitar I've ever been loyal to is my 2008 Martin 000-15 because it literally sounds better and can do more than any guitar I've owned.

It's plenty loud, full low end, rich highs, dreamy mids. It fits in fine in a jamb with guys playing big dreads with heavy strings and heavy picks. I play with my bare fingers and fingernail most of the time using light strings. It's a monster.

That being said, while I think they are the best overall value in guitars, I think I got a really, really, really good one. It just outperforms everything I've put up against it, even much bigger guitars.

I believe that the 15 series doesn't look anything like the one I have anymore (different woods, bridge pins, tuners, neck joint, etc), so I can't speak to the newer ones. I still beleive they are the best buy in the business, though.

I have played some D15s that blew the doors off the D28s in the jamb and the Collings, Bourgeois, etc equivalents.

Maybe others share my experience and it's not a fluke, but mine is exceptionally full, rich and loud and is the reason I don't play big guitars anymore....I don't have to.
Is it a dread 15 Martin you have?
Jackson US Soloist

Old 12-12-2018, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan Madsen View Post
Is it a dread 15 Martin you have?
Nope, it's a 000-15!
Old 12-12-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Nope, it's a 000-15!
cool, I'm thinking about getting a 00-15, hope that it will be able to handle srumming just like my Furch OM does
Jackson US Soloist

Old 12-12-2018, 05:23 PM

The self limiting and volume aspects of all mahogany guitars is frequently talked about and IMO, exaggerated.
Yes, all things being equal, a mahogany top will not produce as much volume as spruce. Often, things aren't equal.

The build of the guitar is the most important aspect of volume, IMO.

How much volume do you need? If you are doing Bluegrass, then all mahogany may not be your best choice. Vocal accompaniment? The guitar can be louder than you can sing.

Another consideration... there are trade-offs with most guitar comparisons and choices. It depends on what you want.

I have a 00-15 Martin, nearly 20 years old. It is a sweet sounding guitar and louder than you would expect. It is one of my favorites.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:32 PM
Get off my lawn kid

My all hog Guild rings out well (finger style) but my Avalon (spruce/rosewood) is on another level.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-12-2018, 05:47 PM

The closest comparision one could make is a Martin 000-18 vs a 000-15. Evertime I have played them back to back the spruce top 000-18 was a little louder. But because it is brighter it is a preceived "louder. The 000-15 is real close with good headroom but can get a bit muddy with really aggressive strumming, 000 size are not dreadnaughts.

I really like the tone and volume I get from 000-15 fingerpicked, no nails just flesh.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:55 PM

To my ears, Spruce has more overall volume but Hog tops can be strummed more aggressively without breaking up, ie "headroom". This is my personal perception.

The tones are quite different though and a matter of taste.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 12-12-2018, 06:17 PM

My D-15 has less volume and brightness than any spruce but in a good way.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
The closest comparision one could make is a Martin 000-18 vs a 000-15. Evertime I have played them back to back the spruce top 000-18 was a little louder. But because it is brighter it is a preceived "louder. The 000-15 is real close with good headroom but can get a bit muddy with really aggressive strumming, 000 size are not dreadnaughts.

I really like the tone and volume I get from 000-15 fingerpicked, no nails just flesh.
Me too. I absolutely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
To my ears, Spruce has more overall volume but Hog tops can be strummed more aggressively without breaking up, ie "headroom". This is my personal perception...
I have never had a Mahogany top guitar that I could lay into like a Spruce top, but I’ve never had a D-15. I have heard some very loud D-15s. I think I have played almost every Mahogany topped 0,00,000-12,000-14 and OM by Martin, Santa Cruz, Collings and Bourgeois. For me the small body guitars get too muddy. That being said, the new guitars tend to be very stiff if built to spec (ala Martin) so require a much longer break in time. I bet when they are new you could really get into one and that would only help the tone.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:05 PM

My approach, and the guitars, differ from most in this thread. Currently I own a Waterloo WL-12mh and a Martin 000-18, which will be returned and replaced with a 00-18. My Waterloo is less focused and "loud" than the spruce-topped Martins but perhaps fuller and more nuanced. So I don't feel any need to prove which is louder or better. I like both.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:14 PM

My lowly AC240 is possibly TOO loud. I was astounded based on what I had read sbout hog tops.

Gretsch 6228FM
Fender Troy Van Leeuwen Jazzmaster
Michael Tuttle T style
Old 12-12-2018, 09:27 PM

My Mahogany topped Taylor 324 with Blackwood back and sides is one of the loudest guitars I’ve ever owned. It’s a sound cannon. Louder than my Sitka spruce Gibson J45
G7th Capos

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion