The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Default 2006 Goodall 000-12 Master Adi/EIR ***SOLD***

2006 Goodall TR000 12-Fret Master Adirondack/East Indian Rosewood $3650***SOLD***

From Goodall's "traditional" line, which is constructed for a deeper, bassier, more traditional sound. If you love Goodalls but get overhwhelmed by the treble ring, this could be what you're looking for. I've owned lots of Goodalls, bought and sold some on this forum, and eventually wanted something with the treble overtones tamed, but still loved the Goodall tone, and this is the perfect solution. Still has that big Goodall sound. Best Goodall I've owned, especially in the categories of balance and projection. Beautiful Master Adi top and nice reddish tones in the EIR. Clean and in great condition but with a few dings on top which are only visible at a certain angle in the right light (see photo), and a few nearly-invisible light scratches on the back. This one has a really rich tone, loud, grand-piano sustain, huge bass. Hard to believe such a gigantic tone is coming out of this little box. Goodall + Adirondack = an almost harp-like sound with rounded, sweet trebles and explosive low end. 1 3/4" nut, 2 1/4" string spacing, 25" scale, 12 frets to the body. Kept humidified in case.
Ebony tuner buttons, Boxwood bridge pins, Maple binding, Ebony peghead overlay, end pin jack but no electronics inside. Cedar Creek case with James Goodall nameplate.
More specs here: http://goodallguitars.com/guitars/traditional000/
$3650 plus shipping.

Last edited by italianspruce; 12-20-2018 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:33 PM
Charter Member

These are incredible guitars. This year I played two different TR000s in Euro/BRW and Adi/Coco and both were different shades of awesome. Goodall really knows how to get strong bass response out of a smaller body, and the TR (Traditional) series have more of the Martin vintage voicing. I'm also partial to the Kona, HI builds as the necks are a little rounder and fuller than what they're carving now at Ford Bragg.

This one is priced perfectly -- GLWS

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 11-30-2018, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Yes I've thought that the neck on this one is slightly fuller and rounder than Ft Bragg Goodalls I've played although I haven’t played them side by side. It's very comfortable though, and I've got small hands. But it might explain the long sustain, as thicker necks supposedly transfer more vibration to the body. The whole guitar seems heavily built considering the huge sustain and volume. I get the sense that the Ft Bragg ones are more lightly built all the way around, although I haven’t seen any measurements of that. This thing feels so solid, like it could last for centuries, but it still vibrates like crazy. I don't understand how James does it. From what I've heard it all has to do with how he graduates the top, and also the mass of the bridge plate. As far as the bass, I've heard him say that bass is amplified by the length of the box, which is why 12 frets often sound bassier. I hope all these modern luthiers are keeping detailed records of how they do it, so we don't end up in a situation like with the old master violin makers. Goodall's new website seems to have less detailed info on building than the old one. A lot of them seem to share info verbally with other builders, but I wonder how much is being written down—and how much is being held back. I've heard that Kim Walker, our modern-day Stradivarius, won't reveal the contents of his varnish although he says it accounts for 25% of the tone. Somebody around here should be getting all this down in writing, even if they have to put it in a vault and promise not to reveal it until after the builders are gone. But I digress.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Here are some youtube clips that capture the sound very well:
Same model, same woods, by the great Steve DeVries:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UugqFVJbvyM

Similar model at Fellowship of Acoustics, this also is very close to what mine sounds like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RTOH2c_xc8
Old 12-02-2018, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Goodall Traditional 000, awesome with no capo and the higher you put the capo the closer you get to heaven. My favorite neck as well.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 12-02-2018, 11:42 AM

Default Goodall

Just managed to find some time! Op is a great guy, this guitar is amazing. I used to own it, and it was a sale that I hated so much. Not having this guitar was a difficult time for me

https://youtu.be/8Um0uQ8XPk8

Here’s AGF’s very own Bobby Swanson showing you what this exact guitar can do!
Old 12-03-2018, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the clip, Guitargeek. The recording sounds a bit thin to me, doesn't represent the richness of tone and lower end really well, probably due to mic placement. To me this one from Guitar Gallery seems closer to the true sound (not the actual guitar but same model and woods, with the exception of the slotted headstock):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_16XTPRAw-M
Old 12-04-2018, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Killer deal here. This one is on par with a Froggy H12. I used to own this one!

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 12-04-2018, 12:06 PM

Nice deal indeed on a Goodie! GLWS!
Old 12-05-2018, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Default Bump this one up.....

Knowing David's impeccable taste & having known him for so long, this one is a stunning guitar. I asked for first refusal on this awhile back but my own circumstances have severely changed. He's owned a lot of Goodalls & this one is the best of all. If I wasn't offloading my own guitars then this would be the first on my want list. Best of luck in selling this one but you shouldn't need it.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:20 AM

You're not wrong, once I slapped some Elixers on it sounded even fatter, and it's hard to explain how good this Goodall is, round, balanced, just the right amount of overtones and very inspiring to play! One of the best Goodalls around

Quote:
Originally Posted by italianspruce View Post
Thanks for the clip, Guitargeek. The recording sounds a bit thin to me, doesn't represent the richness of tone and lower end really well, probably due to mic placement. To me this one from Guitar Gallery seems closer to the true sound (not the actual guitar but same model and woods, with the exception of the slotted headstock):
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_16XTPRAw-M
Old 12-05-2018, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
Killer deal here. This one is on par with a Froggy H12. I used to own this one!
Thanks. Always an honor and a privilege to have the Bobby Seal of Approval. I just emailed Jean Goodall and to build this guitar today would be $7750 including TKL case.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

I know it’s my second post in this thread, and I have no affiliation with the seller, but I hate to see exceptional guitars languish. I’m stunned that this didn’t sell where the OP priced it during the 48 hr sale. Goodalls are expensive to buy brand new, yet worth EVERY penny despite that hurdle. But when you can buy them for $3600, you do that all day long. You can’t compare something like a $3600 Martin, new or used, to something like this. They don’t compare and never will.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 12-06-2018, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar - great deal. No affiliation with the seller but, deserving of a friendly bump!
Old 12-07-2018, 01:02 AM

Default Great Guitar, Great Guy

I have personally played this wonderful guitar, and it is amazing. Very sweet when played easy, and loud and strong when needed.
The seller is probably the most honest man
I have met, and I trust him implicitly. Go for this guitar. You will love it.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars