The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-19-2015, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Default Gibson AJ Luthier's Choice

I've just made a deal for a Gibson Advanced Jumbo , 2015, Luthier's Choice, Adirondack top and "mystic" rosewood B&S. It is a limited run of about 65 or so. Anyway, do any of you have any experience with this guitar? Thanks.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Hi Arktrav,

I think your NGD post with pictures is gonna make a bunch of folk around here jealous. I don't have any experience with that particular incarnation of the AJ, but I do think of the AJ as one of Gibson's best guitars (so good, in fact, that the suits in corporate often discontinue it in order to reinforce our notions that Gibson makes great guitars and bad decisions).

I do know that the Luthier's Choice neck profile is very comfortable to my hand.

Enjoy.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 11-19-2015, 01:53 PM

Arkie, I haven't dealt specifically with that particular model, but do own an Advanced Jumbo. I've also played several guitars made from what Gibson calls "mystic rosewood."

From what I've been able to glean, it's not actually a true rosewood, but is just rosewood-like. Martin has also used a wood that's either very similar or the same thing called "siris," and the performance of all the siris Martins I've have also been very rosewood-like.

I'm sure it'll be a fine-sounding guitar. Please post photos when you get it.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-19-2015, 01:58 PM

Okay, I stand corrected. Rather than speculate about this, I decided to call Don Ruffato at Gibson Montana and ask him about "mystic rosewood."

Don told me that it is NOT siris, as I was speculating, but is in fact Indian rosewood that's highly figured. "Mystic rosewood" is just the term that Gibson uses to differentiate it from regular, non-figured Indian rosewood.

Sorry to steer you wrong at first, but at least I had enough sense to check further and correct my own error...

whm
Old 11-19-2015, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Hi Arktrav,

I think you will be very happy with the AJ Luthier's Choice. I own a 2002 Gibson Custom Shop AJ Luthier's Choice with Adirondack top and BRW back and sides. It is a great sounding guitar, very loud, great dynamic range, good treble, good bass, good for flat picking, strumming, and finger picking. I have never had any trouble with the size or shape of the neck.

If you are interested, I could send you a sound file or two via email of what my guitar sounds like. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Regards,
Glenn
Old 11-19-2015, 05:22 PM

I played an AJ about two years ago. I don't think it was a "Luthier's Choice" model but it had an adi red spruce top. It was the best Gibson acoustic I have ever played. I prefer rosewood most of the time and I don't know if the adi was what made it special but it stood it's ground with a Martin HD-28 which really surprised me. That is all subjective to my tastes, of course. The AJ was a tad more balanced than the Martin and the Martin had a bit more bass. The AJ was definitely prettier. I revisited that guitar three or four times but I was not in a position to purchase it. A friend of mine eventually bought it and I'm glad it went to somebody I like. When he was thinking about the purchase, I encouraged him to buy it to remove the temptation of me being financially irresponsible at the time.

Actually, I was tired of dreads for a while but the AJ let me know what I was missing by not having one. I later purchased a HD-28 that I love.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 11-19-2015, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

I just picked up a new one about a month ago. Didn't need another dread but it's too good--I had to have it. The 1.77" nut is a bonus for me. I just feel like my fingers are playing on a playground on that spacious fretboard. I mostly finger pick it and it sounds perfect for that. Should be a gem as the Adi top breaks in.

Congrats on yours. Enjoy it and play it a lot.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:50 PM

I've never played a bad Advanced Jumbo. In fact, I don't think I've ever even played an average one -- the small sample size I've tried out have all been good to great on my subjective guitar rating scale.

I think the AJ is easily Gibson's most underrated guitar. You get that iconic slope shoulder look, the sweet sunburst, a bit of the dry, fundamental tone but with additional volume and sustain thanks to the long scale and the rosewood. If there was a Venn diagram showing Martin and Gibson, that bit where the two circles overlap would be the Advanced Jumbo.

Congrats and show it off here when you get it when your fingers are getting too sore from playing it nonstop.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:01 PM

'Mystic rosewood' is nothing other than figured rosewood that is slab cut vs. quartersawn. (also a bit of a marketing ploy)

Most of the luthiers on other forums consider it to be rather potentially unstable.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Man! I just love AGF! I appreciate all your comments and anymore to come, as well. I figured the "mystic" rosewood thing was a little hype but as far as the sound you all have made me feel confident that the AJ is good and will sound good. Again, thank you all and may you all enjoy a THANKFUL Thanksgiving, if I don't hear from you again before then. Blessings, J.C. Bryant
Old 01-28-2018, 10:04 PM

This is an old thread but I have the same guitar and it is my go-to axe all the way. BIG neck, wide and flat. Incredible tone and volume and you can coax some really subtle sounds out of it. Th 6th string G at the third fret was a little dull when I first got the guitar, but it has opened up noticeably.

There aren't many of these around with the hide glue and other specs. I feel very fortunate to have scored it at a good price. My serial number is 18450XX. Is yours similar?

Old 01-28-2018, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjewell View Post

I love that Ambertone D-45 - that wouldn't be the same one MandoBros had back in the late-80's/early-90's, would it...?
Old 01-29-2018, 04:37 AM

I have frequently posted my admiration for what I consider to be the only really decent acoustic built in Bozeman. Mine, sadly long gone, was a 2004. The AJ is a truly splendid guitar. If I could have only one guitar in my life again, it would be the Advanced Jumbo.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
I love that Ambertone D-45 - that wouldn't be the same one MandoBros had back in the late-80's/early-90's, would it...?
Steve, I bought it from Gotham City Guitars on your island. I have since sold it and the new owner had it totally restored by Mr. Kimsey.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

It is the height of irony that flat sawn EIR would be caller “Luthier’s Choice”.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion