The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-03-2018, 11:36 AM

Default Walnut Guitar Back

What do you guys think of this walnut back? It's kind of like a top with severe run out. The two pieces look very different in color under most lighting, and when shifting under the light the lighter color side will flip back and forth.
And what about the grain pattern? What part of a log, and how cut, would give that pattern? Would there be any drawbacks to that?
Old 12-03-2018, 11:42 AM

That looks like flatsawn with pretty significant runout. The flatsawn doesn't bother me, but I don't much care for the runout.
et al
Old 12-03-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
What do you guys think of this walnut back?
Walnut is a nice wood, one that I've used for backs and sides. That particular piece wouldn't be my choice for a guitar back.

Quote:
And what about the grain pattern? What part of a log, and how cut, would give that pattern? Would there be any drawbacks to that?
The "V", or "cathedral", grain is a telltale sign of flat sawn wood. It will expand and contract across the width more than a quarter sawn piece would, making it, potentially, more susceptible to cracking.

The top is under greater stress than the back, which is why minimal runout is structurally required for tops and is less of a structural concern for backs.

Despite the obsession that many have for wood type and configuration, one can make a nice sounding and playing guitar out of nearly anything. "Nice sounding" is, of course, subjective.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 12-03-2018 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-03-2018, 01:44 PM

With all the work that goes into making a guitar I would never use flat sawn wood of any type because of the expansion and contraction issue related to humidity changes that Charles mentioned: the chances of it cracking at some point in the future is much higher than quarter sawn. Every single flat sawn Brazilian Rosewood back I've ever seen that had some age to it was cracked.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:37 PM

Thanks for the replies and info guys. I really appreciate it. This was a shipped to the store, not seen until pick up thing. I brought it home anyway but this one will have to be returned.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:21 PM

What the OP’s guitar? Is that a J15 like mine I posted about in other recent thread?
Old 12-24-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkdawg View Post
What the OP’s guitar? Is that a J15 like mine I posted about in other recent thread?
It's a J-45 Studio.
I returned it. I was turned off by the excessive runout and concerned about the grain pattern. But I have a different J-45 Studio in the house and really, really like it.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:50 AM

What is runout?
Old 12-25-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkdawg View Post
What is runout?
Maybe more than you wanted to know but a good explanation can be found here: http://www.lutherie.net/frankford.runout.html Quite interesting.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 12-25-2018, 10:16 AM

Default solid advise given from a Trade School Carpenter with 45 years of experience

Plain sawn, also commonly called flat sawn, is the most common lumber you will find. This is the most inexpensive way to manufacture logs into lumber.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair