The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-03-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
Man I dunno. If this is really dry AND direct, and I think it is, a good PA and some room ambience and I'm guessin this is a pretty good sound. The only thing that throws me is he's got the notch filter engaged. If it's direct, why?
Old 02-04-2015, 03:31 AM

Good question. Either to eliminate feedback or maybe it's just flying in the wind with no reason. Either way it sounds pretty good to me.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 02-04-2015, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Man I dunno. If this is really dry AND direct, and I think it is, a good PA and some room ambience and I'm guessin this is a pretty good sound. The only thing that throws me is he's got the notch filter engaged. If it's direct, why?
My experience with LR Baggs notch filter on the Venue is that the Q value is set so low (i.e. wide bandwidth) that it effects the sound to the extent that it can actually be used as a tone control for cutting some lo-mid frequencies ... and that's possibly what he's doing ... using it as a kinda tone control!

Although, I'm sure as it's a promo video the DAW signal has had some EQ added as well so he needn't have bothered

Can't wait for it to appear in the shops though to give it a test drive.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRay View Post
I agree with Petty, to me that video is just a classic rubber band piezo sound with practically zero dynamics. Tedious to listen to and hardly worth the effort and talent the guy put into playing it. Sorry!
I agree (though I didn't hate the sound quite THAT much), and further, this points out something I've noticed which is an undercurrent under all of these types of discussions (not just re the Session DI), which is -

There are a lot of people out there who feel that this sound is a great sound for an amplified acoustic. I'm not here to say right/wrong/bad/good, but for a lot of us, that's not a pleasing tone, let alone a natural sounding reproduction of a good acoustic.

I've heard a lot of top performers playing live, particularly in the pop realm, especially those who play a combination of acoustic and electric, where they have access to whatever gear and great professional sound people, and they've chosen that sound.

I also think some people's tastes and perceptions of good amplified acoustic tone was "set" back before good tone from pickups was possible, so they've unconsciously or consciously accepted that as "good tone".

Just pointing out the possible disconnect when people who seek natural acoustic tone run into videos such as Baggs is posting of top-notch guitars and guitarists where that "crispy-critter" kinda thin plinky sound is being tacitly defined as great acoustic tone.

Same thing with the Baggs NAMM video of Doyle Dykes. at the end of the clip I was like "really? that's the clincher that makes this thing a no-brainer? then I guess Doyle is in that camp where that crispy thin flat sound is defined as "great acoustic tone".

Now to be fair, Baggs may just be pointing the marketing of this device primarily at the MANY MANY acoustic/electric guitars and pickup systems out there have that type of tone dialed in, and improving on that tone, even some, is the big market opportunity for them.

But I play M1A mag pickups (not the holy grail of acoustic tone either, but pretty good when used right) and I'd love to see this thing paired up with an M1A. Contrary to my quest for great acoustic tone, I do live in the real world of wanting to balance that with plug and play (hence the M1A's).

Last edited by sublro; 02-05-2015 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:34 PM

I think the same guitarist gets better sound (with the Session DI) on this recording (playing starts around 4:10 in) and I really like the tune.
http://www.acousticguitar.com/Gear/R...tic-DI-at-NAMM

I'm not hearing what I'd call "crispy critters" in this recording, but all of my UST recordings have it (crispy critters) when I use an aggressive attack. This demo doesn't sound like a pure UST to me. Its sounds like the Anthem SL system (which it is), but I'm not convinced that it sounds much better than my own Anthem SL-equipped guitar and a bit of EQ adjustment from my old Fishman Platinum Pro EQ preamp. I listened to a good player use my guitar last night, and was once again struck by how good it sounds in capable hands.

In any event, I'm still waiting for the dry vs Session-enhanced comparison recordings.

Last edited by guitaniac; 02-05-2015 at 12:51 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification