The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-12-2012, 11:36 AM

Default Guitar Kit Making - recommend a DVD?

Hi there. My wife bought me a Martin guitar kit for X-Mas. It is a dreadnought with herringbone (much like a HD-28, I guess). Awesome gift. But... I have zero experience in building guitars, I have few tools for this type of work, and I am borderline clueless about wood working.

Having said that, I will do this come hell or high water. I have come across a number of instructional DVDs specific to guitar making so I am now asking what you may have watched in such DVDs to build your kit.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:22 PM

My first kit was from Stewart-Mcdonald, but they have a kit dvd to sell. I would think it would work with yours.
Also, Bill Cory wrote a book about building a martin-style kit. The Kit Guitar Forum (google it) has an ad for Bill's books, plus a lot of advice for new builders. I've been on there for 2 years, and it's very helpful.
Good luck,
Bob
Old 01-12-2012, 04:51 PM

Ya, I think the Stew Mac DVD would be best for your kit.

Also, there are a couple of forums dedicated to kit building, http://www.kitguitarsforum.com/ and a section on the OLF for kit builders too http://luthiersforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10122

Join up to those forums and you'll get lots of help along the way. Show us your kit here during progress or once complete.

Have fun!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:15 PM

If you go to kitguitarsforum , you will see Blues Creek Guitars . John also has some build tutorials at the Blues Creek Guitars website . In fact , I believe that John is a part of the kitguitarsforum site , possibly the owner .
Old 01-15-2012, 10:03 AM

Robbie O'Brien of O'Brien Guitars has a whole series of DVD's for guitar making. I found them extremely straight-forward & helpful & w/ a minimum of tools.
Available through LMI & his own site...
Old 01-15-2012, 10:08 AM

+1 for Robbie O'brien's. I haven't seen the video series that he has, but I was taught personally from him and he is an incredible teacher. Aside from his building courses, he also has a bunch of short tip videos that are free that are very helpful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop