The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-12-2018, 03:36 PM

Default Thumb over F vs. Barre chord F into a C chord

Hi all,

I think I already know the answer but will ask just for conversation sake. I am able to learn/finish songs with the F chord using a barre much quicker than when using the thumb over. I am guessing that the advice will be to stick with the thumb over and that it will become natural and is more useful in the long run. I do practice both methods. I am also curious about transitioning from a thumb over F to a C chord. Does everyone keep the thumb in basically the same position with the C chord? I am so used to having my thumb behind the neck with a C but I am working on the C with the thumb over the neck. Please let me know what you do.

Thanks,
Erik
Old 12-12-2018, 04:33 PM

Thumb over has it's uses, but I wouldn't consider that the standard to shoot for. For many people the thumb over version is just easier than a thumb down barre chord.

It really depends on what you are trying to play. Thumb over limits your ability to stretch the fingers out for chord alterations or melody notes, but gives you the freedom to keep the bass note while altering or embellishing the chord. It's also easier on your wrist depending on how you hold the guitar.

If you've got the thumb down barre chord happening, consider yourself past the first major hurdle of playing guitar and use it unless you have a reason to fret with your thumb.

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources
Old 12-13-2018, 04:20 AM

Depends on context, but if I'm playing a C with the 6th muted by the thumb, then I might well play an F with the thumb in the same place. A quick change F shape (from C and back) is this:

-x- mute with index
-1- index (same as on C)
-2- middle
-3- pinky
-3- ring (same as on C)
-x- mute with thumb (or fret on fret 1)

I might also use that shape if playing a full 6-string C/G (ring on 6th, pinky on 5th). Then the F is achieved by moving ring pinky and middle one string across together.

The thumb-over F is also useful if you want to embellish the chord with any of the open strings (such as a hammer-on from the G).

But I have no problem with the full barre version, and would use that at other times, especially if other barre shapes are involved.

It's all about ergonomics: economy of finger movement from chord to chord, as well as efficiency of fretting action. It's not about avoiding barres because they're difficult! Sometimes a barre is the best (most efficient) way.

Thumb over is of course "illegal" in classical technique , but there are good reasons for that in that genre (and with those guitars).

Last edited by JonPR; 12-13-2018 at 04:27 AM.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:46 AM
Charter Member

I use either or both depending on what the chord before was and the chord after will be. The more arrows you have in your quiver . . . .
Old 12-13-2018, 05:08 AM
Charter Member

Been playing since god was a boy, but never really liked barre chords much, esp. the "A" shape etc, so the thumb over is my go to hold.

I play a lot our of a 1st position C shape so the IV chord will always be a thumb over.

Like this:

or

Old 12-13-2018, 06:25 AM

I've never used my thumb for chording. I can play barres easily, but usually play a first position F without hitting the low E string at all. You don't need to hit all 6 strings for every chord. Actually you don't need all 6 strings for any chord.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:32 PM

All guitar techniques and styles have value, and the number of techniques and styles are seemingly infinite. No one is, or needs to be, proficient at them all.

Your time is finite. Focus on what improves your overall guitar playing (and enjoyment) the most. Thumb overs and/or barre chords might be worth your time...or not.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:49 AM

I like to use the thumb over F chord - not always, but particularly when the transition is from F to C. In that case. I'll thumb over the F, leave my thumb in that same position and shift my fingers to play a C/G. I don't always hit the G when I strum the C in this position, but I find that the transition is easiest for me (and then I'm not paying attention to lifting that thumb to slightly mute the E string, as I would if I was playing a straight C chord).
Old 12-14-2018, 02:41 PM

Like you, I'm so used to the F barre that I use it without thinking.

I use thumb over for chords like D/F# which is D but with an F# bass.

I've been meaning to learn the lasy / easy F as there are some songs where that makes switching to C easy.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:10 PM
Charter Member

I use the thumb over when I can't do the barre fast enough for what is going on. It's just easier for me in a lot of situations.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-17-2018, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I use the thumb over when I can't do the barre fast enough for what is going on. It's just easier for me in a lot of situations.
This is what I do, too. Using the thumb comes in handy on John Hurt type stuff that shifts quickly between C and F. But for variations on the F chord I'm more likely to use a bar, which makes it easier to move the other fingers around.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write