The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-03-2011, 04:24 PM

Default Pan H595 Acoustic Guitar

Hi there everyone. Here is my first post to this forum! I am a beginner here, having just picked up my first acoustic guitar. It is a Pan model H 595. I have found very little information on this instrument, and I am looking for ANY references where I can find additional info on it. I know it is a Gibson dreadnought copy, a Hummingbird(?) I believe. It has an adjustable saddle and looks very similar to some Aria acoustics. I can't wait to upgrade all I can to make this little treasure really shine. I just ordered new Kluson 3x3 rail-style tuning machines for it(since the originals are wasted) and I am considering getting a bone saddle for it. Maybe an ebony bridge as well. Here are some pics.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:27 PM

Looks nice... Enjoy it and... welcome.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:58 PM

Thank you, and thank you.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:07 PM

Hi again. Just stumbled across this:
http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0026.html

and thought I'd field the question to the forum. Has anybody else made a similar adjustment to an older acoustic? What were the pitfalls to avoid, and what were the benefits from the repair? How hard is it to change out a bridge? Should a luthier be hired or can I accomplish the job myself? Would it be as simple as unbolting the existing flat bridge and copying it minus the saddle slot? Thank you in advance...
Old 04-04-2011, 03:32 PM

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdpro...ts+%26+Saddles

My saddle-slot is nearly 4 inches long and probably 7/32 wide if you include the width of the stainless adjustment hardware. There IS the black horn saddle blank that might work. Is there such a thing as a saddle that is 'too wide'? Thanks.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:39 PM

Should this thread be moved to the 'build and repair' forum?
Old 04-04-2011, 04:19 PM

Id maybe put a set of halfway decent tuners ( basic Gotohs maybe grovers ) -but Id pretty much leave it alone -the bridge you have is fine -and the problems youll encounter replacing the bridge on that ply top will pretty much rip it apart - Not trying to hurt your feelings but its basically a starter guitar -for what youd put into it money wise youd be better off with a silverCreek or a Recording king for the money -tuners will make enough difference , maybe tweek the neck -but some of those because of age- the truss Rods sometimes break when you do that .
Old 04-04-2011, 04:35 PM

Thank you Tony. Yes, it is indeed a 'starter' guitar. I also have a Yamaha DW-15 but I don't like moving it around too much. The Pan is a 'good' guitar that I believe can sound really good with some minor mods. If I can add a bone saddle and nut and call it a day - I will be really happy. I saw these:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/G...ad_Guitar.html

and thought they looked beautiful, but I settled for these:

http://www.anthillmusic.com/storefro...97&i=233700287

I didn't think as a travel guitar, it warranted the substantive upgrade. I adjusted the truss rod a bit already.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:45 PM

Default PAN ACOUSTIC H595

I have the same guitar. Bought it new about 40 years ago. Can I ask how much you paid for it as I am trying to determine the value.

I haven't done anything to my guitar except for new strings every so often. This has been a great guitar and still sounds really nice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion