The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 12:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddManOut View Post
Wow...that is a stunningly beautiful set of wood. Nature's artistry has no equal in my book. You really captured its beauty in this guitar's layout.
Thanks OddManOut,

Whenever I build a guitar I try to center the design around a guiding theme.
More than not the inspiration for that theme is nature provided. That's part of the privilege of being able to work with such wonderful materials.

Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 02-08-2015, 02:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
Thanks OddManOut,

Whenever I build a guitar I try to center the design around a guiding theme.
More than not the inspiration for that theme is nature provided. That's part of the privilege of being able to work with such wonderful materials.

Mark
That's one of the things I like best about your guitars, Mark. Each one of them is a unique, individual entity; and the way you design and build, you are using these exceptionally beautiful woods to their fullest tonal and aesthetic advantage.

One time, at a craft gallery in LaConner, WA, I saw a large table that someone had built out of the most stunning, iridescent, shimmering Koa I had ever seen. The table top was about an inch and a half thick, all solid Koa! It was a true show piece, just mind-blowingly gorgeous wood.
It made me sad to think how many splendid guitars could have been made with that once-in-a-century Koa. You know what I'm saying?
So when I see what you do with these beautiful woods you have, it's cause for celebration!
Old 02-08-2015, 04:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
That's one of the things I like best about your guitars, Mark. Each one of them is a unique, individual entity; and the way you design and build, you are using these exceptionally beautiful woods to their fullest tonal and aesthetic advantage.

One time, at a craft gallery in LaConner, WA, I saw a large table that someone had built out of the most stunning, iridescent, shimmering Koa I had ever seen. The table top was about an inch and a half thick, all solid Koa! It was a true show piece, just mind-blowingly gorgeous wood.
It made me sad to think how many splendid guitars could have been made with that once-in-a-century Koa. You know what I'm saying?
So when I see what you do with these beautiful woods you have, it's cause for celebration!
Thank-you very much for your kind words. I've met some pretty passionate furniture builders so I try not to begrudge them their share but gorgeous Koa?
An inch and a half thick you say? Awe 😧

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 02-09-2015, 10:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default End Graft

In keeping with the red theme I am setting in the Bloodwood end graft here:

Here it is cleaned up a bit:

Next will be the Boodwood binding

Thanks for checking it out!
Mark

Old 02-10-2015, 12:58 AM
Charter Member

Default Goodness,

Mark,
Your work, both luthier-istically and photographically, is a wonder. I am totally impressed.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI View Post
Mark,
Your work, both luthier-istically and photographically, is a wonder. I am totally impressed.
What's even more amazing it that he can get to his shop out back with all the snow we have had in the last 2 weeks!
Old 02-10-2015, 01:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
What's even more amazing it that he can get to his shop out back with all the snow we have had in the last 2 weeks!
Thanks TomB'sox and JJI,

Yea, I've been commuting to work by snowblower!

Mark

Old 02-10-2015, 03:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default In a bind

These are pictures of the Bloodwood binding going on:

I'll use Bloodwood for the cross grained center laminate going up the neck. It will be set between two maple lams. I'm thinking a Bloodwood laminate on the back of the headstock and custom Bloodwood tuner buttons.
What do you think?

Mark

Old 02-10-2015, 03:34 PM

Might be too much of a good thing? I think I'd rather see dark wood on the back of the headstock, maybe with a thin red laminate under it, and dark tuner buttons. But those would be easy enough to change out. I'm sure you will chose the right thing - I have yet to see one of your guitars that wasn't tastefully done.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hatcher View Post
These are pictures of the Bloodwood binding going on:

I'll use Bloodwood for the cross grained center laminate going up the neck. It will be set between two maple lams. I'm thinking a Bloodwood laminate on the back of the headstock and custom Bloodwood tuner buttons.
What do you think?

Mark
I really like the idea. The red theme is so visually striking and attractive.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 02-10-2015, 05:38 PM

Hey Mark,
I love watching your work, This is going to be a beauty! I do like the bloodwood trim too.
There is one thing missing in your wonderful pictures, SAWDUST, where is all the sawdust???
Beautiful work, Thanks for sharing. It threads like yours and a few others here that got me talked into trying to build. Keep them coming.
Travis
Old 02-10-2015, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

I really like the bloodwood elements, but I'm with SJ--I think the bloodwood on the back of the headstock may be too much. I like the idea of the red tuner buttons though. I think using a strip of it up the center of the neck will really look sharp. This guitar has really been executed and integrated beautifully throughout--thanks for sharing it with us!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 02-10-2015, 08:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

I could do a BRW back laminate but, I'm pretty sold on the idea of Bloodwood tuner buttons (if they don't prove to be too brittle). That way when you look at the back of the headstock the BRW will more or less be framed in the red of the buttons. The top of the headstock will be sculpted BRW bound in Bloodwood.

Thanks for the feedback!
Mark

Old 02-10-2015, 08:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEK View Post
Hey Mark,
I love watching your work, This is going to be a beauty! I do like the bloodwood trim too.
There is one thing missing in your wonderful pictures, SAWDUST, where is all the sawdust???
Beautiful work, Thanks for sharing. It threads like yours and a few others here that got me talked into trying to build. Keep them coming.
Travis
Thanks Travis,

Saw dust? Seems all I do sometimes is manage saw dust! I try to keep it under control (not always well). One thing that helps is my main work table is on wheels and is set up as a down draft table. One of these days I'll shoot some pictures of what I can do with this table, I'm pretty proud of it and it works well for me.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 02-11-2015, 01:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Initial Clean-up

Here is the full bodied BRW Josie SJ model after the initial clean-up:

That Adirondack top is looking pretty good, don't you think?

Thanks,
Mark

Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop