The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-13-2020, 05:25 AM

Default Are Collings guitar... inconsistent in terms of quality-wise?

So I tried an OM guitar yesterday, and it sounded horrible. No focus, voice was everywhere, nada. Sitka top, rosewood side and bottom, no tongue bracing, sunburst option.

Then today I went to a different store to try the same model. Besides the sunburst option everything was equal to the one I tried the day before. And this one sounded fantastic, not like, OMG this guitar is god tier, but more like, I think I should buy this guitar level.

The only thing that is getting in my way is I haven't tried the Adirondack top, and the guy who I visited today looked somewhat sketchy, and told me to 'be quick about it', and I'm a person who doesn't like being treated like that.

But my question is, are Collings guitars inconsistent with their products? When I was looking for a Martin, there were some differences between the same models, not very noticeable, but there's that little bit of a feeling that it's different. But for the guitars I tried yesterday and today they were so different that I would consider them to be different guitars if I was doing a blindfold test. I mean, having a sunburst can't dramatically change the overall tone of the guitar right?

According to my 'intensive research' on the internet, a lot of people praised Collings guitar to have good quality. And for now, I'm not sure about that. Could anyone shed some light about this?
Old 02-13-2020, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

Collings guitars are not mass produced although I read somewhere that they are up to about 35000 guitars in circulation.

Each top is hand "thicknessed" by Bruce Van Wart. (still -as far as I know) .
They are are really fussy about tone woods.

I have had five - (sadly now only four) plus a faultless Waterloo.

They are all individuals but very consistent.
They are also , I perceive, very sensitive to environment. - particularly temperature. so if one guitar is a hot stuffy shop and another in a cold draughty place - I'd expect them to seem different.

I had the honour and privilege of meeting Bill when he briefly visited the UK - I saw his enthusiasm (actually excitement) about his guitars.

We lost Bill to cancer in 2017 (which was a hit for many not least me as I was having cancer treatment then), but I've experienced the customer service and spirit of the folk there.

See this :
This is Bruce talking about Spruce tops :
Old 02-13-2020, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

I would say that Collings has a reputation for being about as consistent as you could possibly get in terms of reproducible quality from unit to unit when creating objects out of wood.

That said, each guitar is individual and there will be some variation in tone. There are also lots of factors that effect tone that have nothing to do with build quality, like humidification and strings.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 02-13-2020, 05:44 AM

Every Collings I’ve played has been of impeccable quality. Obviously there’s are differences in how they sound depending model wood choices, etc. but none I’ve played sounded bad. If you the one you tried sounded really horrible, I would suspect tired strings.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 02-13-2020, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
I would say that Collings has a reputation for being about as consistent as you could possibly get in terms of reproducible quality from unit to unit when creating objects out of wood.

That said, each guitar is individual and there will be some variation in tone. There are also lots of factors that effect tone that have nothing to do with build quality, like humidification and strings.
This . Not every piece of wood is a great piece of wood. Not every human decision yields the desired result. I have played a lot of boutique guitars that I hung right back up. Same with more mass produced. It is a brand independent phenomena. I do not believe the Gibson/Martin inconsistent rep vs the Taylor etc consistent mafia. Wood is a the tone variable that is hard to measure despite all human efforts.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:05 AM

Ironic tale as they are arguably the most consistent builder in guitardom. I agree with silly they are very sensitive to humidity but I would also add string type/brand! To me Collings + Thomastik strings= tonal heaven. Maybe the guitar that lacked focus had some awful coated string sucking the tone out of it! Coated strings are an abomination and have no business being near a good guitar. Also many stores (in the U.K. at least) are unit shifters and simply don’t look after the instruments they are so desperate to sell.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 02-13-2020, 06:12 AM

The guitars that Collings makes are the most consistent of any acoustic guitars made by anyone, in my experience. There will be tonal differences from one example to the next because of the natural variation in how one top sounds versus another, but - seriously - Collings has the best quality control of any manufacturer that I’m aware of. Their QC is better than Martin’s (though to be fair, Martin makes a far greater number of instruments.)

I’ve played some Collings guitars that I didn’t particularly care for, but I’ve never played one that I would consider a bad instrument. Mediocre, perhaps, on one occasion, but even that is rare for them.

whm
Old 02-13-2020, 06:19 AM

Your terrible might be someone else’s fantastic. There’s always some trait, sometimes indefinable, we each look for in an instrument that speaks to you, that ‘magic’ for lack of a better word.

At a folk club I recently humoured and old gentleman who was very proud of his rare guitar and wanted me to have a shot of it. It sounded utterly dreadful to my ears and I had to feign enthusiasm as I played it as he was clearly very attached to it. Who knows, maybe it did sound great to everyone else in the room though, what works for him just didn’t work for me.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:21 AM

Definitely agree on the sensitivity to environment.

I get so much joy from playing my Collings. I’ve bought and sold so many guitars over the years, but can safely say that the Collings I have now, will never leave my side. Just wonderful instruments.

I-35 LC in my sights.

Bourgeois: OM-42 Brazilian
Preston Thompson: 000-12FS
Collings OM2H-T, D1-T, O2H, I-35 LC, CL Deluxe
Martin: 1964 D18, D41, Custom 00-12F
Gibson: J45-Rosewood, L1-Luthiers Choice, 1966 ES335
Fender: 1960 Strat (All Orig), Custom Shop Nocaster
National: Style-O
Old 02-13-2020, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to AGF. I’m sure you’ll get lots of help on this one.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:12 AM

Seems everyone has given you good advice. Collings are great but will vary like any other instrument. The big thing is you played in two DIFFERENT environments on two DIFFERENT days.

My guitars, that are kept in the same stable environment can sound different from one day to the next. Depending what room I play in, my mood or physical state can all really effect how I perceive tone.

You might want to revisit those guitars. You’re best served buying one you actually play and love
Old 02-13-2020, 07:17 AM

There is something about the sound of the Collings guitars I've played that leaves me a little cold - but that's just me. Every one has been a beautifully built instrument with excellent fit and finish. No doubt every guitar sounds a little different, but I would be very surprised to hear that Collings had a consistency issue with their quality. Really nice instruments.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 02-13-2020, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Seems everyone has given you good advice. Collings are great but will vary like any other instrument. The big thing is you played in two DIFFERENT environments on two DIFFERENT days.

My guitars, that are kept in the same stable environment can sound different from one day to the next. Depending what room I play in, my mood or physical state can all really effect how I perceive tone.

You might want to revisit those guitars. You’re best served buying one you actually play and love
So just how sensitive are these guitars to environment? I've been thinking about acquiring one at some point, but not really sure it's reasonable to invest that much into guitar that I can't trust in different environments?
Old 02-13-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monts View Post
So just how sensitive are these guitars to environment? I've been thinking about acquiring one at some point, but not really sure it's reasonable to invest that much into guitar that I can't trust in different environments?
It’s more of a sensitivity to longer term storage.
Like any high end instrument, they just require a little more attention.

Steady temp and RH.
I’ve played my Collings in all manner of places (hot, cold, dry, wet), but when they go home they stay in the case (with humidity packs in the winter)

I used to be a lot more relaxed about it, but the instruments I have, sound so much better when I take the minimal effort required to care for them a little.

Bourgeois: OM-42 Brazilian
Preston Thompson: 000-12FS
Collings OM2H-T, D1-T, O2H, I-35 LC, CL Deluxe
Martin: 1964 D18, D41, Custom 00-12F
Gibson: J45-Rosewood, L1-Luthiers Choice, 1966 ES335
Fender: 1960 Strat (All Orig), Custom Shop Nocaster
National: Style-O

Last edited by tomopoole; 02-13-2020 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monts View Post

In my experience, once I acquire a guitar, I get it initially set up for myself and then may have to get it set up again after it has settled in and acclimatized to my home environment. I monitor humidity levels and make tweaks as necessary. I do not think that Collings would be that much different. What I find true about many Collings guitars is that they seem to take longer for them to settle in and open up. I have played older, well played Collings that sound divine.

Best,
Jayne

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion