The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-12-2020, 05:10 AM

Default Paige Capo Repair

My guitar strings have worn through the plastic part of my Paige capo. I get metal on the strings as a result. I thought of putting some tack glue or medium hard epoxy and then wrap it with electrical tape. However, as I was inspecting (fiddling, is the right word), some of the plastic broke off. Now my question is to either pursue my original fix idea, which is a bit more complicated now, or strip off the plastic and go to the hardware store and and try and find a plastic tube that might fit over the shank. (Shank is square btw). I know capos aren't high dollar but decided to try a bit of fix it before I toss it. Suggestions? and Thanks!
Old 02-12-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuker View Post
My guitar strings have worn through the plastic part of my Paige capo. I get metal on the strings as a result. I thought of putting some tack glue or medium hard epoxy and then wrap it with electrical tape. However, as I was inspecting (fiddling, is the right word), some of the plastic broke off. Now my question is to either pursue my original fix idea, which is a bit more complicated now, or strip off the plastic and go to the hardware store and and try and find a plastic tube that might fit over the shank. (Shank is square btw). I know capos aren't high dollar but decided to try a bit of fix it before I toss it. Suggestions? and Thanks!
Pure silicone aquarium tubing might do it. There's cheaper stuff and then there's pure silicone stuff which is much stronger. You might get by with the cheaper thermoplastic stuff, silicone is thermoset.

I'm not sure if cured silicone is still a concern, because it can mess with finishes when in solution (cleaning products, silicone glue, etc.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:18 AM

Probably as cheap to just get some original replacements:

https://www.paigemusical.com/product...acement-sleeve

Regards,
Clive
Old 02-12-2020, 08:07 AM

Ahh, didn't think of that. Of course there'd be replacements! Thanks!
Old 02-22-2020, 03:58 AM

Just as a follow up, I bought some 1/4 inch OD milky white tubing, the stiffer kind. Seems to work really good so far. We'll see how long it lasts before the strings cut through the material but for 18 cents a foot, easy enough to replace.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:06 AM

I have just this week solved the same issue with my Paige capo. I took my sleeve to an auto parts store and they matched it with rubber tubing used for vacuum tubing. The first store did not have the exact size match but the second store did. Purchased 12 inches for $1.00 and made 6 sleeves from it. Works and sounds great! Not sure how durable it is,but with 6 for a dollar...I can live with it...

Boucher BG-52-G LH
2018 Taylor 320e LH
Old 03-01-2020, 01:29 PM

A couple of minds thinking alike....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair