The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-09-2020, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Default Help with podcasting signal flow?

Friends,

This isn't an acoustic recording question, but I'm hoping someone might indulge me with help.

I run a podcast where I interview guests remotely over Zoom or Skype.

I use the AT2005 mic for podcasting right now and it has both XLR and USB connections. I run the XLR into my Zoom H5 to record my channel directly on the H5 and then run a usb cable into my Mac so my remote guest can hear me.

I capture guest audio with the Audio Hijack App on my Mac.

Works decent.

But I have the bug to upgrade my gear and room treatment to improve my sound on my end. I'll get a higher end dynamic XLR mic and a preamp booster such as the Cloudlifter. I'm moving my rig to the basement and doing some room treatment.

Now that my mic won't have USB out, I'm stumped at how to get my audio to the guest to be able to hear me. I wonder if I need an additional piece of kit like the Scarlet 2i2. I prefer to not trust my Mac to record my mic, but maybe I am being unnecessarily paranoid? I like having it on the Zoom H5 SD card.

Is there a way to get a Zoom H5 to send audio to a 2018 MacBook Pro which lacks any analog audio inputs? (I hate how Apple keeps minimizing to the point of frustration.)

I can't figure out how to get audio from the Zoom to the Mac and also to my headphones.

Thanks for any thoughts you're willing to share.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD