The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-16-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Trying to unravel that sentence is giving me a headache.

Virtually every online dictionary defines hubris as "exaggerated pride or self-confidence", or some variation thereof.

I don't see the connection. I may regret asking this - but would you care to elaborate?
Yes, my post was not clearly written - hubris isn’t a counter strike event but can lead to a backlash - think John Lennon “Instant Karma”
Old 01-16-2020, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziapack View Post
I am aware of a rock about 4 miles from my house that sits out in the middle of some open grassland. There are unexplainable properties about that rock, that have lead me to believe it is haunted. I'll explain....
...Not that there is anything wrong with that.
As someone with 5 generations of family in NM, and one with a fair amount of national/international travel, I can attest that New Mexico is the most superstitious place I've ever been. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that either.
Old 01-17-2020, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Yes, my post was not clearly written - hubris isn’t a counter strike event but can lead to a backlash - think John Lennon “Instant Karma”
Got it.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 01-17-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
New Mexico is the most superstitious place I've ever been. And I don't think there's anything wrong with that either.
Yes, no doubt, it is cultural for us. It is passed down from generation to generation in the stories we tell, our art, our music. We even celebrate the Day of the Dead, Dia de los Muertos.
Old 01-17-2020, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Beautifully played - very clear with warm yet defined midrange, tight bass, dancing trebles - often sounded like a chorus of two guitars - and the lyrics also addressed some issues I’ve shared my father - great performance, two thumbs up!
Gosh, thank you Jaden. I wrote this after talking with my lady masseuse, who said to me "everybody should have a Dad-song" . There ! I've passed the idea on, over to you Jaden!

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 01-19-2020 at 04:31 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Gosh, thank you Jaden. I wrote this whilst having a massage and talking with the lady masseuse, who said to me "everybody should have a Dad-song" . There ! I've passed the idea on, over to you Jaden!
Gee, that’s about as far from ghosts and archaeology as can be imagined - a very powerful song addressed for the other half is John Lennon’s “Mother” - hair raising.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:04 PM

I've never seen an archaeologist and I don't know anyone who has.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Gee, that’s about as far from ghosts and archaeology as can be imagined - a very powerful song addressed for the other half is John Lennon’s “Mother” - hair raising.
Not really - first line -
"There’s a ghost that haunts my days - in a look, a gesture – a hundred ways,
A brooding soul who dogs me still , from the pool of despair to the high of the hill"

I felt that I saw my ol' Dad in many ways, not least in myself.
Old 01-18-2020, 04:24 PM

I spent some time in England chasing ghosts for a low-rent documentary of the “Mysteries of the Unexplained” genre, and we spent a night in a “haunted” hotel with a scholar from London University, heat sensitive cameras and the last known witness to see the ghost. Astonishingly enough, the ghost did not appear.

We were advised, however, by a group of British ghost busters, who took their work very seriously, and who regularly visited sites where supposed hauntings occurred or were occurring. When I first met with the head of the society, he received a call asking for his help from two single mothers living together in a terrace house (townhouse?) who claimed their babies were being terrorized by a ghost who was moving through the house and moving objects around in the baby’s room.

I was told by the head ghost buster that there were two ways he decided whether or not to take a call like this seriously. First if the people wanted no publicity and no press, and secondly if they were genuinely scared.

When we arrive at the house and the women learned that I was with the media, they were very uncomfortable and wanted me to leave, but since I had no video crew with me, and was just an observer, they relented. And they were both deeply terrified. There was a neighborhood story of a grisly murder in their house in the distant past.

As we sat in the hundred year old house, it began to make noises and the women began to really freak out. And then I began to be affected by their terror and before long, my skin was crawling, and I began to get really scared. The ghost buster got very serious. But rationally, it was just an old house, creaking and groaning as they do. And the women couldn’t really get their stories straight, even though their fear was clearly quite real.

In the end, I think it was just two emotionally vulnerable women feeding off of each other’s fears in a creaky old house, and it was contagious to me as well. I walked away comfortable that there was nothing to it—but the women and the ghostbuster were entirely convinced the ghost was real.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 01-18-2020, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

One of the most popular classes in my undergraduate university was called Great Mysteries of the Unexplained. Two PhD professors of science rationally investigated common myths, from Bigfoot to the Loch Ness Monster and many things in between.

The majority of things were either "proven" false (sometimes deliberate hoaxes, sometimes sincere misplaced belief). Many things were explained as being real with very rational scientific explanations (such as Sea Serpents).

And a few things were deemed to be something and without a rational scientific explanation.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 01-18-2020, 05:52 PM

One of the most pondered Great Mysteries of the Unexplained is why Martin guitars sound better than Gibsons. Thousands have plumbed that mystery, none have solved it....
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 01-18-2020, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
One of the most pondered Great Mysteries of the Unexplained is why Martin guitars sound better than Gibsons. Thousands have plumbed that mystery, none have solved it....
It's because of the special glue that Martin uses on their bindings.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
It's because of the special glue that Martin uses on their bindings.
Do you have *ANY* idea what "they" do to people that spill trade secrets?

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 01-18-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Do you have *ANY* idea what "they" do to people that spill trade secrets?
Initiating new identity mode . . .
Old 01-19-2020, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfirob View Post
I spent some time in England chasing ghosts for a low-rent documentary of the “Mysteries of the Unexplained” genre, and we spent a night in a “haunted” hotel with a scholar from London University, heat sensitive cameras and the last known witness to see the ghost. Astonishingly enough, the ghost did not appear.

We were advised, however, by a group of British ghost busters, who took their work very seriously, and who regularly visited sites where supposed hauntings occurred or were occurring. When I first met with the head of the society, he received a call asking for his help from two single mothers living together in a terrace house (townhouse?) who claimed their babies were being terrorized by a ghost who was moving through the house and moving objects around in the baby’s room.

I was told by the head ghost buster that there were two ways he decided whether or not to take a call like this seriously. First if the people wanted no publicity and no press, and secondly if they were genuinely scared.

When we arrive at the house and the women learned that I was with the media, they were very uncomfortable and wanted me to leave, but since I had no video crew with me, and was just an observer, they relented. And they were both deeply terrified. There was a neighborhood story of a grisly murder in their house in the distant past.

As we sat in the hundred year old house, it began to make noises and the women began to really freak out. And then I began to be affected by their terror and before long, my skin was crawling, and I began to get really scared. The ghost buster got very serious. But rationally, it was just an old house, creaking and groaning as they do. And the women couldn’t really get their stories straight, even though their fear was clearly quite real.

In the end, I think it was just two emotionally vulnerable women feeding off of each other’s fears in a creaky old house, and it was contagious to me as well. I walked away comfortable that there was nothing to it—but the women and the ghostbuster were entirely convinced the ghost was real.
Interesting experience.

What stood out was your description of the house as making noises and creaking.

There has been research done on the effect of low frequency sound (beyond human hearing) on human physiology.

Such sound waves can induce sensations that are commonly experienced during "haunting"
Including:

Irrational fear
Auditory and visual hallucinations
Feeling cold,
Feeling there is an unseen presence.

I believe these have been replicated in laboratory conditions.

While exposure to low frequency sound doesn't explain all phenomena, throw into the mix an old building and the power of human imagination and you have a prime suspect for many of these experiences.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic