The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-18-2019, 08:13 AM
Guest 33123

Default new practice regime

Hi guys,

I've been following a new practice regime for the past two months. It was suggested to me by Woody Mann (with a couple of my modifications) and I like it so far. Each night 6 days a week I spend:

as needed - play through 5 of my repertoire tunes to keep them fresh
10 mins - triads exercises based on a scale over 2 octaves - right now I'm working on C major 1-5-3 triads (helps me learn the neck better)
20 mins - work on problematic repertoire
10 mins - work out a new variation of a tune I know
20 mins - learn a new tune

Often learning a new tune spills over but if I don't have much time I just stick to 20 mins. Sometimes there is no problematic repertoire so I just skip that.

What's your practice regime? This is really the first time I've tried to follow a structure.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 07-18-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Hello Doug,

I admire your discipline, in following a set structure, but I am not capable of doing that myself.

I tend to get obsessive about an arrangement or learning a new tune, often to the exclusion of anything else, or I just play from my repertoire for the enjoyment of the moment. Every now and then I will work at some issue or other.

I also do not play so often as you describe, I might play every day for a while then spend 2 or 3 days away from it all together, sometimes even longer. I then enjoy playing with a fresh ‘take’ on things.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 07-18-2019, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

I'm just learning covers and composing. At some point I have to get back to the right hand studies and Barre chord drills.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-18-2019, 10:31 AM

Good for you, Doug! Good to know.
Right now I'm kind of in maintenance mode with summer activity in high gear as I work part-time seasonally and many nights are just too hot/humid, or I'm quite tired.
I have 3 new tunes I'm working through, and this kind of takes over! One is about 2 weeks old, another about 5 months old, the other a year + old which kind of got "lost" last year in the midst of the CD I got done.
So, kind of like Rod, I'm "in and out" with playing, but concentrating mainly on these 3 guys and then playing from my list for pleasure in between, with the idea of recording sometime in the fall.

I'm going to see Tommy Emmanuel tonight so this might alter things for late in the week with inspiration! LOL!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 07-18-2019, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

When I am independently working on technique apart from some tune in my inventory it's mostly about playing cleanly and with tone and volume control. So for example don't unintentionally buzz notes or bump into an adjacent string when fretting or let a note(s) from a previous chord ring out discordantly into the next chord or fail to bring out the proper volume of a given note, etc..

Also I do like to now and then to practice hearing intervals in various eight note scales (i.e. half steps versus full steps) and fretting those notes accurately across strings, or similarly fret the right frets of the notes in a melodie.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 07-18-2019 at 11:02 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write