The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-04-2019, 02:11 PM

Default Al Petteway Lessons?

So I have seen several of Al Petteway's lessons on homespun guitar and I was considering getting one or two for my upcoming birthday. I'm a huge fan of his (he's currently my favorite artist from any Genre). Has anyone tried his lessons?
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Stratocaster MIM w/ noiseless pickups
Old 04-04-2019, 08:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechariot1x View Post
So I have seen several of Al Petteway's lessons on homespun guitar and I was considering getting one or two for my upcoming birthday. I'm a huge fan of his (he's currently my favorite artist from any Genre). Has anyone tried his lessons?
Yes I have a few of them. I love his stuff, but I got sidetracked with some of Simon Fox's and Stephen Wake's arrangements. What were you looking at? I have the the following lessons of his:

Blues guitar arrangements in dadgad
Appalachian Fingerstyle I and II
Celtic Instrumentals I and II

I also have a bunch of his tabs I bought from his website (mostly the Mountain Guitar CD).

They are all good, just pick one and go for it.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Yes I have a few of them. I love his stuff, but I got sidetracked with some of Simon Fox's and Stephen Wake's arrangements. What were you looking at? I have the the following lessons of his:

Blues guitar arrangements in dadgad
Appalachian Fingerstyle I and II
Celtic Instrumentals I and II

I also have a bunch of his tabs I bought from his website (mostly the Mountain Guitar CD).

They are all good, just pick one and go for it.
Same he is an incredible musician! I was thinking about the Celtic Instrumentals set.
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Old 07-30-2019, 04:21 AM

Default and what would you choose first?

i am just starting with dadgad, so should i start with the celtic or apalachian guitar set or are they about the same skill level?
Old 07-30-2019, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoudi View Post
i am just starting with dadgad, so should i start with the celtic or apalachian guitar set or are they about the same skill level?
Good question. I found the Appalachian to be harder. A good place to start is the Celtic 1 lesson. Sligo Creek is in that one and it's a fun tune.

My SoundCloud page

Old 07-30-2019, 11:27 AM

I have the Appalachian Fingerstyle set. The music is beautiful and I can hardly wait to be able to play the material. But I found it kind of hard, a bit out of my 'comfort & fun' range. So I got the Artie Traum's DADGAD set from Homespun. This one's pretty easy and I'm nearly through it. Then I'll get back to the Appalachian lesson. I do plan to do the Celtic and Blues lessons as well, since the music sounds great and Al Petteway has a relaxed and pleasant presentation style.
Old 07-30-2019, 11:50 AM

I have the DADGAD blues one. I keep meaning to learn something from it but there's always other material that motivates me more. That's not a criticism of the video, it has some nice ideas/pieces, its simply that I am not a massive fan of fingerstyle blues. I play quite a few pieces in DADGAD and when I do get the urge to learn a blues number it would certainly be from this video.

I'm sure you've seen these, they give a good idea what to expect from the video:

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 07-30-2019, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
I have the DADGAD blues one. I keep meaning to learn something from it but there's always other material that motivates me more. That's not a criticism of the video, it has some nice ideas/pieces, its simply that I am not a massive fan of fingerstyle blues. I play quite a few pieces in DADGAD and when I do get the urge to learn a blues number it would certainly be from this video.

I'm sure you've seen these, they give a good idea what to expect from the video:

I had started on Sweet Potato Fries which is challenging, but doable. I have to get back to his lesson DVDs

My SoundCloud page

Old 07-30-2019, 08:48 PM

I ended up getting the celtic guitar lessons and would strongly recommend them. He is amazing! They can be a little on the challenging side for me personally though, but his songs are a ton of fun to play. Sligo Creek is amazing (I've gotten this mostly down and am eventually hoping to record myself playing it) and there are quite a few other good ones as well in the two part series.
Epiphone Sheraton 2 Pro
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Old 07-31-2019, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechariot1x View Post
Hi tc1

I own a DVD of some of his DADGAD songs and each one shows him playing the song, then has a detailed video of him teaching the important points for each.

It was helpful, and well explained, well shot, and I think there might even have been 'paper' instructions inside.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
al petteway, dvd