The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 11:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Sexauer/'17 (chapter 1)

Today is January 2, 2017, the first working day of the new year. Surprisingly, the stock markets are closed this morning, but my workshop will be putting in a full day. . . As soon as I finish this post.

In this thread I will be describing the projects currently on the bench, as well as those I have just just completed, and waxing a bit philosophic as I go. Those of you who have been around this forum are familiar with my style and my history, for those who are new I recommend you check out several previous threads with title similar to this one except for the year. I think I started this "blog thread" in 2014! Of particular interest is the thread called "Sexauer/'16 (chapter 2)" as it segues into this one.

Current projects include the three dreads I have just finished but have not yet shown pictures of the last two. A guitar that I am building to give away at the 2017 SBAIC event next August, currently nearly through with the finishing process. And a guitar which I plan to actually start today, an upscale single 0 in BRW/EuroSpruce for my customer/friend/patron, Bob Berger.

Welcome to 2017.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

In another thread, closed due to the new AGF policy that one must be a forum supporter in order to post about one's work (makes sense to me), I mentioned that this next Sunday, 1/8/17, I will be hosting a meeting of the Northern California Association of Luthiers (NCAL) in my shop from 1 pm through 5 pm. I have received a number of PM's asking if the senders could attend. This meeting in entirely open to any interested persons. If you show up and are a civilized person you will be welcome. Uncivilized persons will be tested and may also be welcome.

I have agreed to do a presentation on the importance and actual use of lighting in the shop regarding the enhancement of "the work".

My shop is behind my home at 724 H Street in Petaluma, CA 94952. Do not knock on the front door and bother my wife. Thank you.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
In another thread, closed due to the new AGF policy that one must be a forum supporter in order to post about one's work (makes sense to me), I mentioned that this next Sunday, 1/8/17, I will be hosting a meeting of the Northern California Association of Luthiers (NCAL) in my shop from 1 pm through 5 pm. I have received a number of PM's asking if the senders could attend. This meeting in entirely open to any interested persons. If you show up and are a civilized person you will be welcome. Uncivilized persons will be tested and may also be welcome.

I have agreed to do a presentation on the importance and actual use of lighting in the shop regarding the enhancement of "the work".

My shop is behind my home at 724 H Street in Petaluma, CA 94952. Do not knock on the front door and bother my wife. Thank you.
Thanks Bruce for doing this, I look forward to attending.
Old 01-02-2017, 06:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

It is a modest beginning, but I actually did join the plates for the single 0 today.

This is the best set of BRW I had on hand when Bob visited me last month and chose it. The top is European Spruce I got from Martin Guhl several years ago. Bob and I agreed that it was the livest Euro top in my stash, though we also found an Adi top in the ball-park. I hand picked every top I have (many), so trying to pick the best one may come out with a different ending every time, yet always be true enough to bring great results.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 01-02-2017 at 06:20 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

While not as exciting as the lovely pics of the new guitar, I did shoot a short video while visiting Bruce the other day. Much like the short one on gluing in peones, I just happened to be there as he finished scuffing out a coat of varnish on the SBAIC guitar that he is working on, and he wanted to get the next coat sprayed right away, so I put down my guitar and pulled out my phone. (The SBAIC guitar is going to be a raffle prize at the Santa Barbara Acoustic Instrument Celebration - a chance to win it would be reason enough to go, but there are LOTS of reasons to attend this year!)

I've had the opportunity to spend a little shop time with a number of masters at their craft, and find that careful observation while they work can teach more than asking alot of questions - luckily, Bruce is able to comment on the parts that he thinks are important while he works, so hes able to add a bit of commentary -

I'm quite untrained in video, so excuse the quality, and this subject is extremely close to watching paint dry - the step immediately prior, as a matter of fact - so I offer it as a cross between a bit educational, a little inspirational, and just plain interesting for those that enjoy process - And another thanks to Bruce for tolerating it!

https://vimeo.com/197838126
Old 01-03-2017, 06:19 AM
Music soothes the soul!

Fun to watch. Thanks for the chance to see the process!
Old 01-05-2017, 07:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default SBAIC/'17 giveaway Guitar

I have been working with Kevin, the promoter of the SBAIC show in August of 2017, on the idea of my giving away a guitar as a sort of door prize at the event. We have settle on the details, and since Tad has let the cat out of the bag (I HAVE hinted, not that anyone seemed to notice), I can now tell you what's happening.

Each ticket to the event will have a stub (current concept, subject to change), one per day, which the bearer would be smart to bring to the bin on my table and drop it in. On Saturday night there will be a David Lindley concert at which there will be one ticket drawn from the bin. The person who dropped that ticket in the bin will be presented with the Adi over California Walnut 00 I have in the finishing curing process this very minute. Are there strings attached? You bet there are, six of them, it's a guitar! Through this blatant ploy I hope to meet every guitar player attending the show and maybe even get them to play a few notes on one of my guitars while paying extraordinarily close attention. Yeah, I'm a dreamer.

This next Sunday, as previously mentioned, I am hosting an NCAL meeting in my shop. I do this partly for altruistic reason like supporting the community, and partly because this is what it takes for me to seriously clean up my eternally expanding mess. So far, I have found two things I had forgotten I had. One is a Ben Wilborn Guitars T-shirt Ben gave me at the last SBAIC, and it is a great color for bringing out my blue eyes. The other, no less important, is a set of wood I bought at that same event. Those who have known me for a couple of years may remember the Black Limba guitar I made, which was much better than expected, at least by me, if a little plain looking. So when I saw THIS set of Black Limba, I had to have it:

Now THAT is landscaping!!!!!!

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 01-05-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:26 PM
Charter Member

Wow--that is quite a set of wood! Absolutely stunning...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-05-2017, 08:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Wow--that is quite a set of wood! Absolutely stunning...
Thank you. I sincerely hope someone will ask me to build with it. It cost me little, and I currently view it as as "standard" wood, financially. Not that I could replace it for any price, I've never seen the like.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:33 AM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I have been working with Kevin, the promoter of the SBAIC show in August of 2017, on the idea of my giving away a guitar as a sort of door prize at the event. We have settle on the details, and since Tad has let the cat out of the bag (I HAVE hinted, not that anyone seemed to notice), I can now tell you what's happening.
I noticed, and was waiting patiently for you to announce details that might give me an inside shot at winning the guitar. Given my location, I was waiting with very little hope. Fortunately, I have a couple friends to send in my place, if the timing works out for them. Someone's going to go home with their head in the clouds - even more than usual after such an event!
Old 01-06-2017, 01:42 PM

That has to be the best looking limba I have seen!
Old 01-07-2017, 09:51 AM

Any chance we're going to get pics/sound clips of the recent dreads?
Old 01-07-2017, 11:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico59 View Post
Any chance we're going to get pics/sound clips of the recent dreads?
I made these guitars now because I had some time to do it, but my impetus was to have them for the Bluegrass Festival I participate in next June. Having finally sold one of my dreads to a top local player, I expect to get a serious uptick in credibility in my local B'grass community!

The point is I have been reticent to show these guitars off too much as they work very well (all 3) and I don't know that I'll have time to replace any that might sell before their moment comes. With these mixed feelings, I have already sold one of them, the style 18 that has been pictured in last years chapter 2 thread.

Although I have never been a dread guy, despite having now made at least 10 of them, I have been playing one of the 28s regularly this past week, and must say the voice is an amazing weapon, sort I'd like a canon where I am used to a mere rifle. This means I can get the power I want and be pretty relaxed about it, which seems to improve the playing considerably. I have heard this before as we all have, but I can't say I ever previously experienced it so clearly.

The reason I have been playing the dread so regularly is that I have shipped the "Blanca", my house guitar of the last 6 months or so, off to the East Coast and may never see her again. I THOUGHT I could take her out of inventory and keep her, but I am a luthier and when the customer insists I have a sort of obligation to indulge them. I tell myself I can always make another one . . . But the Blanca was special for me. You can see why I haven't shared the Dreads too much, perhaps.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:09 PM

Bruce, I suppose that's a good thing; you can ALWAYS make another one!

By the way, that BRW set is just completely amazing... I cannot wait to see what becomes of it, and I'm sure you're petty excited about it as well.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Bruce, I suppose that's a good thing; you can ALWAYS make another one!

By the way, that BRW set is just completely amazing... I cannot wait to see what becomes of it, and I'm sure you're petty excited about it as well.
Louie, you can play it next October at Woodstock...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop