The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 05:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Sexauer/'16 (Chapter 2)

This year's story started nearly six months ago, and enough people have told me it's a compelling read that I offer you a link: Sexauer/'16. I did not expect to start this thread for a week or so as I am headed out of town, as the cut and paste from the end of the previous thread that follows suggests. But I thought I post a picture of the braced top of the Single 0 in European Pear/German Spruce i am building for the coming SBAIC event. The previous thread has more information about this guitar if you are interested.

Meanwhile, I am packing for my next California Bluegrass Association (CBA) promoted Grass Valley BlueGrass Festival (GVBF). What is special about this event, aside from being the largest Bluegrass event west of the Rockies (last I heard), is the "Luthier's Pavilion".

The event takes place on the Nevada County fairgrounds in Grass Valley, and there is a +/- 4000 sq' building which is dedicated to luthiers, their work, instruments for sale, and repair/set up. I have been participating in this for over 20 years (23?) and expect to see over 20 of the peers again this year. The Pavilion is open to the public Thursday June 16 through Sunday June 19 from 9 till 7, more or less. Regulars you might know include, Roger Siminoff, Michael Lewis, Randall (Sparky) Kramer, and a relative newcomer, Ben Wilborn. This year the organizer baton has been passed from Michael Lewis to Monte Hendricks, a banjo maker.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 06-24-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:06 AM

Bruce, thanks for the new chapter! The pictures of your work are always a delight. One question on the bracing - and although I can't see it very well - is that "Popsicle" brace undergoing mitosis?
Old 06-13-2016, 10:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekaitora View Post
One question on the bracing - and although I can't see it very well - is that "Popsicle" brace undergoing mitosis?
Indeed, it is splitting into two genetically identical pieces, equal but opposite, each with the same mission but in separate arenas.

Welcome to the future.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:10 AM

Hi Bruce, since we are on the topic of braces I was wondering if you could enlighten me (us) on your method of preparing the bracing to be glued to the top and back. I have been cutting some wood to be used as back bracing and the question came to me.

Do you pre-radius the top and back braces to the same radius you want the top or back to be? I do not recall if you ever mentioned how you do it. I have been thinking of the stresses built into the guitar and how they effect the stiffness along with the movement with changes in humidity. Not as sexy a question as the scalloping and carving of braces (which you generously detail in your photos) but one that seems to not be brought up often.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Fred, I believe Bruce is incommunicado at a bluegrass festival through Sunday.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Fred, I believe Bruce is incommunicado at a bluegrass festival through Sunday.
Not in a hurry for an answer, just did not want to forget the question. Sounds like it will be a good time. Hopefully I will be able to catch a day or two of our (Winnipeg Folk) festival.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

I use a plane and a shooting board to create the joining surface on my structural braces. This gives me the freedom to control the precise degree of "spring" and vary it from one application to another. The green line on the "floor" of the fixture is my baseline for my back braces and gives me visual reference. It is about 2 minutes work to fit a brace using this method as long as run out is zero.

Here is the sequence. Ask questions in it is not clear.

The Fixture:

Raw stock:

Wedge induced bend:

Depth of chord in reverse:

Planed "straight":

The finished brace:
Old 06-20-2016, 01:22 PM

Bruce showed me this method a while back and it works very well. It's fast, easy to do once your set up and gives perfectly square and smooth gluing surfaces.
Old 06-20-2016, 04:17 PM

Clear as can be. Nice plane, I made a mini one once. I feel another project coming soon.
Old 06-20-2016, 11:49 PM

An oldie but goodie Bruce! Used to do this in a larger scale in my cabinetmaking days, to make gluing cauls...
Old 06-22-2016, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

i did not expect to reply to this thread :-) As a recent owner of a Sexauer Single 0, I am still stunned by the tone/sound/quality of Bruce's 0 sized guitar. I didn't even post a NGD on the forum because I can't put into words how elated i am (and I'm a fairly decent writer). This man is a virtuoso!
Old 06-22-2016, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations!

My guitars by Bruce elicit a smile from me every time I play them. The elation that you feel now when you play your FT-0 just gets better as your guitar breaks in and becomes an old friend. The bad news for you (or is it good news?) is owning one Sexauer usually leads to another...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewyatt View Post
i did not expect to reply to this thread :-) As a recent owner of a Sexauer Single 0, I am still stunned by the tone/sound/quality of Bruce's 0 sized guitar. I didn't even post a NGD on the forum because I can't put into words how elated i am (and I'm a fairly decent writer). This man is a virtuoso!

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 06-23-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewyatt View Post
Thank you for the acknowledgement! This kind of sentiment is much of why I have chosen to make a single 0 as my centerpiece for SBAIC this fall.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

It takes me days longer to put away my gear after a show than it did just a few years ago, and that probably helps explain why I made less than ten guitars last year for the first time since I met Eric Schoenberg.

Anyway, I am back to the bench today, and bent the side for the Pear 0. Also made and glued in the end blocks, but in the photos here the sides are merely clamped in place while I examine the fit. I found it doggone good, too!

Speaking of dogs, my dog Roxie, whom some you have met and many of you will have seen pictures of in previous posts, is short for the world (lymphoma) and much on the mind of Linda and I.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:22 PM

Bruce..another great build!

Sorry to hear about your baby.....it's tough.....been there quite a few times.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop