The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-28-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna1123 View Post
I checked out the Wildwood listing. It is the Indian Rosewood model. Apparently 73 of those were made. We have the Brazilian Rosewood one. I understand it is more rare as only 65 were made and any past listings appear to be more costly as well. Can’t find any current listings.
Would love to see it.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:48 AM

I wonder how the East Indian model and the Brazilian Rosewood model would compare in tone. Anyone have any experience?
Old 01-30-2020, 09:13 PM

I recorded demo videos for two of these in the past year for Dream Guitars, one just last month. I was actually quite surprised with both of them, they sounded exceptionally good to me.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Shadd View Post
I recorded demo videos for two of these in the past year for Dream Guitars, one just last month. I was actually quite surprised with both of them, they sounded exceptionally good to me.
Thanks for the reply. I listened to your clip on Dream Guitar's website. The one they have for sale now does sound very impressive. Good job.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:58 AM

Hello everyone!
I ran across this forum looking for a value of my D-21JCB number 30 of 73 (65 actually).

If anyone is interested I'm the guy who got Martin guitar to do Jim Croce as a signature artist. LOTS to tell if anyone's interested? Actually got to meet Ingrid Croce and A.J.

There's a few interesting tidbits about the actual guitar Jim played and a couple things I fought for with the signature edition that no one knows about. But I'll forewarn you it's a lot to type!
Old 02-15-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carwashblues View Post
Hello everyone!
I ran across this forum looking for a value of my D-21JCB number 30 of 73 (65 actually).

If anyone is interested I'm the guy who got Martin guitar to do Jim Croce as a signature artist. LOTS to tell if anyone's interested? Actually got to meet Ingrid Croce and A.J.

There's a few interesting tidbits about the actual guitar Jim played and a couple things I fought for with the signature edition that no one knows about. But I'll forewarn you it's a lot to type!
Welcome Carwashblues,

I'd certainly enjoy that read.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Absolutely, carwashblues, please start a thread and type away ... guitar geeks LOVE this stuff!
Old 02-15-2020, 11:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
JC was and is one of my all time favorite singer/songwriters. I know Martin put out a D-21 JC Commemorative Model back in 2000 I believe it was. There were only 73 produced to denote the year 1973 when he and Maury were tragically killed in that now famous airplane crash in Louisiana. I think Jim was 30 at the time and Maury I believe was only 24. There was supposed to have been a dime incorporated into the third fret in honor of JC's big hit "Operator" (you can keep the dime). Not sure but I think the D-21 sported Brazilian rosewood but I could be wrong on that. Hard to believe it's been almost 37 years since he and Maury passed. Makes you wonder what other great hits they would have produced had they lived. Anyway, back to the original question, anybody out there have one of these rare D-21 Jim Croce Commemoratives?
I'm glad you mention Maury. Most don't. He was instrumental in Jim's success and sound. Awesome sideman.

sm
Old 02-15-2020, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
I'm glad you mention Maury. Most don't. He was instrumental in Jim's success and sound. Awesome sideman.

sm
+1 Scott!

About 15 years ago, Maury's sister, Mary, called me on the phone in response to my emailing her about playing Maury's 1970 album Gingerbreadd on my now defunct Shady Grove Radio station on Live365. I had a pleasant hour-long conversation with her about Maury's younger life and his time with Jim. Mary emphasized that Jim highly admired Maury and his contribution to Jim's music.

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 02-15-2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:21 PM

It's been a while and my memory isn't what it used to be, but I remember a couple of gigs in the Philly area where Jim was the sideman to Maury. This was before Jim had his hits, singles and albums, probably around 1970.

Last edited by eshrager; 02-24-2020 at 04:46 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:46 PM

Here’s an opportunity. For the price asked they could have thrown in free shipping, a tuner, and a couple of sets of strings

https://reverb.com/item/31341217-200...d-sitka-spruce

Blues
Old 02-15-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna1123 View Post
Responding to your post from 2006......we have one of these limited edition jim Croce guitars with the brazilian rosewood.
Welcome to the AGF, Luna. I see this is your first post.

What a great thread to be resurrected.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:44 AM

I just purchased a Brazilian model from Dream Guitars, (#44 of 73). Guitar looks brand new and sounds amazing. Great story behind these guitars.
Old 02-19-2020, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by frances50 View Post
I just purchased a Brazilian model from Dream Guitars, (#44 of 73). Guitar looks brand new and sounds amazing. Great story behind these guitars.
Congrats! That is so cool. I have always been a big Jim Croce fan.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-19-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frances50 View Post
That's very cool, would love to see some of your pics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion