The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-08-2020, 09:05 AM

Default Neck heel separation from body on an ovation

Hi, I have an old guitar that my father used to play in the 80s. It is a very close copy of an ovation made at the time by an Italian manufacturer. I don’t know exactly of which model but here’s a picture:
http://ibb.co/d64PPmD

As it wasn’t played for 20 years, it developed some issues like this one:
http://ibb.co/X5kTDsh

And of course it affected the strings to be very far away from the neck:
http://ibb.co/P5gKXTc

I brought this guitar to a luthier and for the price that he asked me it would be better to buy a new guitar, but because of its sentimental value I don’t want to put it away in the case again.
Plus, even if it’s not original, it has a really good clear sound, something that I couldn’t find in all the cheaper guitars that I’ve tried, even though those issues make it uncomfortable to play and that is why I want to fix it.

Could you please help me find a solution?
Old 02-08-2020, 09:15 AM

It most likely needs a neck reset which is going to cost you.
I don't think there's an inexpensive way to get around what your luthier is advising you.
Old 02-11-2020, 09:29 AM

The cheap and dirty solution is to put a screw through the heel into the neck block on the inside. IMO that's a lutherie sin and should never be done, especially on an important, sentimental guitar. If you do go this route - this is hardwood and requires predrilling, no exceptions

Otherwise, you need a neck reset, and it's not cheap (as mentioned above).
Old 02-11-2020, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

hmm do you know how the neck is attached on that one? There may already be a bolt
Old 02-13-2020, 09:08 AM

Unfortunately there isn’t one.

I’ve read something like that, but I’m reluctant to the idea of putting a screw even if it’s on the inside, because I’m afraid that it would be a problem if something like that happens again in the future.

I want to avoid that of course, but I was wondering if some glue and clamps would do just fine.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:23 AM

If the guitars action is ok and it doesn't actually need a neck reset then the cheap and easy solution for a cheap and easy guitar is inject CA glue and clamp.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:30 AM

By any chance was the guitar stored for 20 years under string tension ?

ASKING FOR A FRIEND.

Ed
Old 02-13-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvia View Post
Unfortunately there isn’t one.

I’ve read something like that, but I’m reluctant to the idea of putting a screw even if it’s on the inside, because I’m afraid that it would be a problem if something like that happens again in the future.

I want to avoid that of course, but I was wondering if some glue and clamps would do just fine.
It should not pull loose again. You are in effect making the neck and neck block one unit. HOWEVER, the neck block can still rotate causing high action. That is another issue, which I personally feel relaxing the strings, when not in use will prevent. Many say that a guitar is designed to allow for the string tension, I adamantly disagree with that thought. Wood WILL bend if you put it under tension eventually, it is inevitable. If you store a guitar in a perfectly stable condition as far as humidity and temperature you will extend the time it takes, BUT IT WILL HAPPEN.

Ed
Old 02-13-2020, 11:50 AM

Silvia, I'm actually about to attempt a fix like this myself. I'll take pictures.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-13-2020, 12:00 PM

At this stage unfortunately you should put a monetary value upon sentimental value. If you attempt anything on your own and don't know what you're doing you will only make it worse. Pay the luthier to repair it or hang the guitar on the wall and forget about playing it ever again. The alternative is having something that's either unsightly and moderately playable or broken and completely unplayable.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Poe View Post
By any chance was the guitar stored for 20 years under string tension ?

ASKING FOR A FRIEND.

Ed
I’m not really sure because I can’t remember the first time I took it, but I suppose it was.
My luthier said that the neck is straight, so that’s a relief. The only problem is that one.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:07 PM

Everytime an ovation or copy comes into my shop with a high action, I breathe in and breathe out and prepare for the worst.

If you are getting it repaired for sentimental value, then you do what needs to be done if your getting it repaired for simply having a guitar, sell it now before you get too deep.

These types of guitars suffer from, collapsed bowls, fractured neck sockets, bad bracing, buckling rosettes and so forth all repairable but not cheap and very labour intensive.

I have replaced bowls, replaced tops, rebuilt and modified the bracings, carbon fibre re-inforced the necks, made fretboards for them etc etc, I still get apprehensive at the start of any repair on them

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair