The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-17-2019, 09:57 AM

Default Set up question

The action on my Martin Jr. is to high. I’ve been researching this and wanted to make sure I’m in the right track. It starts getting high around the 5th fret and goes up from there. The nut and neck relief looks fine. Is my next step sanding the saddle? Thanks

Taylor GS Mini
Martin 000-15M
Old 12-17-2019, 10:01 AM

Probably. However, before you do that, take vertical string height measurements at the 12th fret. Determine what height you want. Subtract one from the other and double it. That is how much you'll have to remove from the saddle to accomplish it.

Determine if you have enough saddle projecting from the bridge to be able to lower it by the amount you want, while still maintaining an adequate break angle of the strings over the saddle. If not, you are likely into neck reset territory.

You can do all that prior to making any bone/plastic dust and eliminate trial and error.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair