The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-11-2019, 06:17 AM

Default Chord suggestion

Just working on "C'est la vie" by ELP. Everything is pretty straight through except the instrumental part where chords progression is Dm over C# then Dm over C. Could not find proper left hand position for the strings sound clear.

Tried different ways, but no success yet
Old 02-11-2019, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-n-Nan View Post
Just working on "C'est la vie" by ELP. Everything is pretty straight through except the instrumental part where chords progression is Dm over C# then Dm over C. Could not find proper left hand position for the strings sound clear.

Tried different ways, but no success yet
HI B-n-N

Are you playing fingerstyle, or with a pick? Not that it matters.

Greg Lake plays it in Dropped D on a 12 string (you are likely aware of this).

And the run is not merely D - D/C# - D/C but the run extends on to B - Bb and finishes on A[/I] and the chords shift as a result of the run, and to accomodate it and integrate it with new chords.

Greg Lake is all over the neck and when performing the song live, and he has used other instruments to cover the chords while he moves around in solo fashion. And sometimes live (these last few years) he sometimes leaves the 'interlude' out all together.

I found this guy on YouTube, and his voice leaves a lot to be desired, but around 2:15 he does a great rendition of that little instrumental section…not the full solo, but his hand positions show some possibilities of fingerings.

Hope this gives you some new things to try…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-11-2019, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

For example I hear the second chord as Em7/C (x3x030). Check out more carefully the actual chords played.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-11-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Em7/C (x3x030)
Cadd9? ...
Old 02-11-2019, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Cadd9? ...
Or Gsus4add6/C
Basically I want to show a slash chord to emphasize the descending bass line.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Hey B-n-N!

YouTube often pushes videos on topics I've searched to my main home feed and this one showed up about an hour after I posted the strange little guy…this is the most comprehensive tutorial I've seen on the song "C'est la vie". This video did not show up in my original searches. It's only been up about 3 weeks (late Jan 2019).

The instrumental in question begins about 14:15…

This was a really fun watch, and I'm marking it so I can go back and break down the chords for playing in A or Dm. He gets very specific with note names, and intervals and chord names. It's a good tutorial not only for this song, but for adding to one's arsenal of ways to tie chords/inversions together.

If this doesn't nail Greg Lake's arrangement, it'd be close enough for most players. And I've seen Greg vary it on different recordings. Actually the tutorial really got some of the intricacies broken down to basics, including the switch from eighths-in-4 to triplets-in-4 for the instrumental part.

I'm one who often learns an exact copy and then varies it for my own use, and I'd be tempted to hybrid both versions of the dropping progression were I to learn the piece for performance.

Hope this gives you more fodder!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 02-11-2019 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Yes, there are variations in how people play things.

The version by ELP:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSaPyuVMTiU

Old 02-12-2019, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hey B-n-N!

YouTube often pushes videos on topics I've searched to my main home feed and this one showed up about an hour after I posted the strange little guy…this is the most comprehensive tutorial I've seen on the song "C'est la vie". This video did not show up in my original searches. It's only been up about 3 weeks (late Jan 2019).

The instrumental in question begins about 14:15…

This was a really fun watch, and I'm marking it so I can go back and break down the chords for playing in A or Dm. He gets very specific with note names, and intervals and chord names. It's a good tutorial not only for this song, but for adding to one's arsenal of ways to tie chords/inversions together.

If this doesn't nail Greg Lake's arrangement, it'd be close enough for most players. And I've seen Greg vary it on different recordings. Actually the tutorial really got some of the intricacies broken down to basics, including the switch from eighths-in-4 to triplets-in-4 for the instrumental part.

I'm one who often learns an exact copy and then varies it for my own use, and I'd be tempted to hybrid both versions of the dropping progression were I to learn the piece for performance.

Hope this gives you more fodder!

Hi Larry,

This is the vid I'm learning from! Love this guy lessons. My major problem is that i can't get the G string sound clear on Dm/C#-Dm/C progression. I mute it with the ring finger Tried different palm position -the thumb over the neck, and classical one - the thumb just below the middle of the neck. Does not work

Need to work harder on it.

Anyway thanks a lot for advises. Have listened your songs - beautiful playing!

WBR,

Leonid
Old 02-12-2019, 01:52 AM
Charter Member

Well, don't know where ELP came from then. Anyway I have no problem with playing that cleanly. Need to be nearly vertical with the ring finger fingertip
and to do that you need a really, really short fingernail. Very short fingernails on the fretting hand is a good idea always.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Well, don't know where ELP came from then. Anyway I have no problem with playing that cleanly. Need to be nearly vertical with the ring finger fingertip
and to do that you need a really, really short fingernail. Very short fingernails on the fretting hand is a good idea always.
Thank you. Will try again tonight. And I have 1 11/16 nut width.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-n-Nan View Post
Hi Larry,

This is the vid I'm learning from! Love this guy lessons. My major problem is that i can't get the G string sound clear on Dm/C#-Dm/C progression. I mute it with the ring finger Tried different palm position -the thumb over the neck, and classical one - the thumb just below the middle of the neck. Does not work

Need to work harder on it.

Anyway thanks a lot for advises. Have listened your songs - beautiful playing!

WBR,

Leonid
HI B-n-N
There is not a magic work around for this issue. I don't even think it's a matter of the neck width or depth. Young classical players who play a full 50.8mm wide nut learn to play this pattern. The pattern is challenging, but not impossible.

To get the pinky not to lock up is key, and stretching it to reach and still work is a relax move not a forced move. The pinky (and hand) need to relax and be fluid. It's counterintuitive. Most of my students when faced with new/awkward fingerings try to force them into place.

I use a simple exercise with people to aid the learning of new/challenging fingerings.

In the case of this particular passage, just finger the D to D/C# to D/C switch without playing the right hand. Do it back and forth slowly and deliberately. Only focus on the fretting hand and keeping it accurate and relaxed.

Don't focus on whether you are muting the bass notes (or not) till you train the fingers to fall into place without being pushed there.

There were times when I was training my pinky to obey me, that it would lock, and I literally picked it up with my fretting hand, lifted it till it unlocked, and put it into place. Once you learn to relax the pinky (and every other finger on your fretting hand), these type progressions are more manageable.

Let us know how it works out.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 02-18-2019, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

Let us know how it works out.

Thanks! Eventually got it. Your advise to relax left hand is very useful.
Old 02-18-2019, 03:11 PM

I have been learning the same progression for Time in a Bottle, and I have small hands/ short fingers. Positioning my thumb further down the neck helps with the reach for the c#. When you move down to c you can switch your pinky to 3rd fret/ 2nd string and grab the c with you ring finger. I have spent a lot of time going back and forth from the D to D/c#: Nothing like practice!

2015 Taylor 512ce 12 fret
early 80's Ovation Ultra 1517
2011 Seagull Entourage Rustic
2011 Taylor Limited NS214ce
2010 Taylor 512c
2016 Ibanez AG75
2014 Taylor GS Mini Koa e
2018 Loar LH 301t
1998 Breedlove Fall Limited # 10 of 20 Redwood/Walnut

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write