The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-29-2016, 07:35 AM

Default Fishman SA220 w/2 mics

Hi guys,

Is there a way to run 2 microphones through a fishman SA220/Play acoustic? When I got it them, I had anticipated it would be just me or someone else singing, plus a guitar. But the more my friends and I play around, the more it would be nice to have duets or harmonies.

Thanks!

Clarky
Old 03-29-2016, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

The easy answer is to buy a small, inexpensive mixer and then do it that way. There is the AUX in on the back of the SA220 so you might be able to juggle things around using that, although I've never really tried. With the AUX in you won't have access to any signal processing (reverb, feedback control, EQ, etc.) so you would have to take that into account.

If it was me I'd go the inexpensive mixer route. Decent small mixers can be had for very small change (even less used) that provide multiple inputs and you'll have all the EQ'ing and volume control you'll need.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:15 AM

So, it'd be the 2 mics into the mixer, then to one of the SA220 channels. Guitar to the other SA220 channel?
Old 03-29-2016, 10:22 AM

I run the vocals and guitars into my Mackie mixer and then run a line out to the Fishman SA220. The mixer has effects so I use those and leave the levels on the Fishman flat.
To be honest if this was going to be regular occurrence, I would skip the Fishman run the Mackie through my JBL speakers and monitors. But the Fishman works just fine for the times someone shows up to play with me.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky40 View Post
So, it'd be the 2 mics into the mixer, then to one of the SA220 channels. Guitar to the other SA220 channel?
I would probably run both mics into the mixer, use the mixer to set levels, eq and effects, then put that into the AUX. That leaves both the regular SA220 inputs open in case you add another guitar or different instrument. But you could put the mixer output into one of the SA220 channels. Just be sure to set everything flat.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I would probably run both mics into the mixer, use the mixer to set levels, eq and effects, then put that into the AUX. That leaves both the regular SA220 inputs open in case you add another guitar or different instrument. But you could put the mixer output into one of the SA220 channels. Just be sure to set everything flat.
Only if the mixer came with decent reverb effects would I consider plugging it into the Aux, otherwise I would plug the mixer into one of the main channels. Most small inexpensive mixers either have no reverb, or the reverb is pretty crappy, compared to the decent reverb available on the SA220.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky40 View Post
I had anticipated it would be just me or someone else singing, plus a guitar. But the more my friends and I play around, the more it would be nice to have duets or harmonies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkfan View Post
To be honest if this was going to be regular occurrence, I would skip the Fishman run the Mackie through my JBL speakers and monitors.
I am in a 3 person group, guitar, bass, & harmonica. I was the only voice when we started so I used my SA220 for my guitar and my voice and the bass & harmonica used their own amps. But then the harmonica player started singing. So, he just bought his own SA220.

With the apparent price reductions in SA220s, you might just want to get another one.

Steve
Old 03-29-2016, 12:22 PM

Check out the Yamaha MG-10XU mixer. Small/compact with 4 xlr ins, lo-cut, 3-band eq on all channels, compression (on 2) and nice reverbs.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:16 PM

Default Good info here

I have the Yamaha EMX660 mixer, A fellow musician has the Fishman220. We were thinking of using the Fishman with the Yamaha for a small wedding gig.Using 3 vocal dynamic mics and maybe 2 acoustic/electrics. Where do I come out of the Yam and where would you go into the Fishman.
Old 03-04-2018, 09:09 PM

If I have this right, you could come out of the mixer either with the main right and left channel xlr's into the right and left channels xlr's on the front of the Fishman SA220 (keeping the Fishman flat if you don't want to use any of the effects in the Fishman). Or you could go out of the left main ¼" on the mixer and into either the Aux In in the back of the Fishman or the Effects Return in the back of the Fishman. By going in the back of the SA220 you by-pass all the effects. If you go in with Aux in, you have to use both the Aux In volume setting on the front as well as the Main volume setting. I think if you go in with the Effects Return, you have only the main volume to set. If you use the two channels in the front you need two mike cables, if you use the inputs in the back, you need one cable (A TRS I think but I'm not totally sure about that). I am away from the amp so I can't look, but I think those are the options. I hope somebody with a clearer understanding of these options will chime in to correct me if necessary.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 03-04-2018, 11:21 PM

OP you mention Play Acoustic. My Play Acoustic is set up so that both my vocals and guitar come out of either output. I normally do a solo act and only use one channel of my SA 330. That leaves the other channel open, so yes, you can run two mikes and a guitar with the play acoustic. A small mixer would be more economical, but it can be done with the Play Acoustic. I had a mandolin player sit in with me yesterday in Channel 2 while I played my guitar and sang through my Play Acoustic on Channel 1. I have a volume control on my guitar so it's easy to get a good balance between guitar and vocals. The way I run it I am able to only use one XLR cable out of the Play Acoustic. Fewer cables is quicker and simpler and I still have an open channel on my Solo Amp.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:48 AM

Anyone else with a SA220 figure out an easy way to accommodate additonal mics or guitars when playing as a solo act?
Old 01-18-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Anyone else with a SA220 figure out an easy way to accommodate additonal mics or guitars when playing as a solo act?
Add a small passive mixer with FX. They can be had cheap, and will give you flexibilty and better FX. Run from the main output of the mixer to the aux input of the SA220.

Whatever you have up front (like the powered mixer in a previous post) be sure you’re sending a line level signal to the SA220, and not an amped output!
Old 01-18-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Add a small passive mixer with FX. They can be had cheap, and will give you flexibilty and better FX. Run from the main output of the mixer to the aux input of the SA220.

Whatever you have up front (like the powered mixer in a previous post) be sure you’re sending a line level signal to the SA220, and not an amped output!
WHy a passive mixer? Don't you need an amplified signal to go to the Aux in on the SA220? I know that if you go from the mixer into one of the 2 regular channels on the front of the SA220 you would want a passive signal.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:11 PM

I think he means “unpowered”, not “passive”. Just a terminology mixup.
Feed the Fishman aux or effects return with a line level signal, not amp level and not mic level.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification