The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2015, 10:40 AM

Default Fret Wear.... A Funny thing happened on the way to the....

Last weekend I was changing strings on my old Taylor, switching from nano's to poly and I noticed grooves in the frets. I thought this odd because I did not notice them when I got this guitar maybe 6 months back.

Anyway I took it in to have them dressed and I was informed that they really were not significant enough to worry about. At that time the luthier made the observation that my guitar was originally a left hand model, that the nut had been filled in and re-cut. He said they did a good job and it was common.

I was taken aback that I did not notice this in the first place.

The bridge and saddle are original and running at an angle opposite to what it should be. I Have not measured but I would guess the saddle is about 3/8th of an inch at one end from other. so I think I would double that number to 3/4 for the 1st and 6th string lenght from nut to saddle.

He said not to worry about it. there may be some intonation variance on the lower end but not enough to matter.

This is I guess my favorite guitar, being that it is what I most often pick up. I think I gave 525 for it because its kinda rough... Alcohol blisters and some pretty good dings and wear. Before this was pointed out I was happy as a Pig in S... with it.

So I am looking for conformation that the string length differential due to the conversion is a non issue.

Or should I look into replacing the bridge and saddle? I do think i already know the answer but being such a novice I thought best to ask.

Thanks

TBJ
1996 Taylor 410
2012 Martin D15
Old 07-15-2015, 10:55 AM

It seems like you've been playing it and you like what you hear and feel. You're luthier said it's not an issue. It seems like you're golden! Just continue to enjoy your guitar.
Old 07-15-2015, 11:10 AM

If the intonation being off doesn't bother you, then it is a non-issue as your luthier said. Some people have better pitch perception than others, and you may not be able to hear that it's off. By the way, intonation means playing in tune all the way up the neck, and it's never perfect.
As you gain experience, your pitch perception may improve and you will notice it being a little off up the neck. A new bridge and saddle will cure the problem, if it ever becomes a problem.
et al
Old 07-15-2015, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

I don't know how it's possible to have a saddle running the wrong direction and not have intonation problems.

If you were to switch left-to-right properly, you would replace the nut and either fill and re-cut the saddle slot or replace the whole bridge.

Filling and re-slotting the nut would probably cost more labor than the $8-$10 to replace it with a good quality Tusq one.

As an aside, I would bet 99% sure that Taylor did not switch it this way. It sounds very half-baked to me.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-15-2015, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

Also, I would get a new luthier.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-15-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I don't know how it's possible to have a saddle running the wrong direction and not have intonation problems.
I have to agree. The physics just won't let it happen.
Tom
Old 07-15-2015, 01:29 PM

I also find it surprising that he said not to worry. However, it's more of an issue as you play on the higher frets. If you are staying mostly with open string chords, not going beyond the 5th fret much, then you won't notice it much.

Guild
'56 A-50, '57 CE-100, '60 X-150, '62 F-20, '64 Mark II, '65 SF IV, '75 F-112, '75 Mark IVP, '90 Pilot, '93 X-500, '97 Bluesbird
Acorn House Guitars
Parlor #1, Butternut Deuce, Rounder, Kulakeiki
G&L '93 Legacy
Lute '03 Lyn Elder
Old 07-15-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom West View Post
I have to agree. The physics just won't let it happen.
Tom
Yep. Replace the bridge and saddle. The intonation has to be way off.

If you like how it sounds now, you will really like it when it is in tune.

Doerr/Taylor
Old 07-15-2015, 05:59 PM

The actual bridge won't have to come off to change the saddle to a right handed configuration. It can be filled and routed in place for the new saddle. I also don't understand why there are no intonation problems with a reversed saddle.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:

If you were to switch left-to-right properly, you would replace the nut and either fill and re-cut the saddle slot or replace the whole bridge.

Filling and re-slotting the nut would probably cost more labor than the $8-$10 to replace it with a good quality Tusq one.

As an aside, I would bet 99% sure that Taylor did not switch it this way. It sounds very half-baked to me.
I did not mean to imply this was Taylor's work.

I was hoping to hear the situation is ok...
I had planned to swap the nut cuz seeing the glue was driving me..

Ordered a new bone nut from Taylor, Shot them a letter inquiring about availability a original RH pin-less bridge, I don't really want to fill and cut

I do have a very good and trustworthy Luthier in Beaumont, David Newton whom I should have brought it to in the first place. David will be handed this guitar tomorrow.

Thanks... I will let you all know how this works out.

TBJ
1996 Taylor 410
2012 Martin D15
Old 07-15-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:

I too agree! If it were me, I'd speak to the vendor and ask why I was sold a guitar with a left hand bridge that had been only half returned to right hand configuration. I feel it is professionally inappropriate to sell a guitar with the wrong saddle configuration, and personally would wish my money back, or replace with a non-problematic guitar, or have the bridge removed & replaced, and the nut fully replaced rather than just re-configured. This is IF the guitar is indeed as you say it is, and I have no reason to doubt you.

First of all, find out from a trusted luthier if indeed you are understanding it correctly. Since few luthiers (and none worth their salt) would say a left-configured saddle is "fine and okay" for right handed string configuration.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 07-15-2015, 10:10 PM
Guest 1928

It sure is an odd thing to run across, but I am confident David will put things right.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:02 AM

Default is it all right after all?

Folks, he bought it because it was a good buy and he is happy with it like it is. Don't mess with something you are happy with. If his pitch perception should change or he starts playing up the neck, then it's a simple matter to have this taken care of. And he'll like it again.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
conversion, left handed