The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 11-21-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
It is indeed one of life's great mysteries, lost in the mists of history, why a file which has three faces should be called a 3-square file, yet that is indeed the correct name, used by all file manufacturers. It irks me when I see it referred to as a "triangular " file even though that is what it undoubtedly is.

It may well be that the Scots were responsible . . . it is much more likely (in fact almost certain) that the Scots were responsible for the b@stard file . . .
You wouldn't be referring to a "cant saw file?"
Old 11-21-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
It is indeed one of life's great mysteries . . .It irks me when I see it referred to as a "triangular " file even though that is what it undoubtedly is.
I figured the Scottish connection was a matter of thrift - imagine the industrial implication - you'd save a full side for every file produced! Then, that might depress the market for file side futures. . .

I'm a touch over 70 now, and way back when, I recall my dad and other "adults" routinely calling them "3-corner" files and nothing else. "Three square" is still around, but all the catalogs I know have them listed as plain old boring "triangular" files.

Those are have an equilateral triangle cross section. Other triangular files have unequal sides but specialized uses an names: "knife" or "cant saw," for example.

The cant saw is my personal favorite for fret use - here's mine, with all its corners ground safe:

Old 11-23-2014, 03:08 AM

Checking in to see if Both hands has placed either one on some tools to get this job done.

Frank, I believe my cant saws where purchased from you, and possible a sanding tool that holds a 1/4 inch wide belt of sand paper for dressing. The combination makes for nice quick work.

Touch up with some micro mesh and their nice and shiny also.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpj1136 View Post
Frank, I believe my cant saws where purchased from you, and possible a sanding tool that holds a 1/4 inch wide belt of sand paper for dressing.
Suggested by me, maybe, but I don't recall ever selling any files. . .
Old 11-27-2014, 10:07 AM

"Suggested by me, maybe, but I don't recall ever selling any files. . ."

I tend to remember advice better than where I purchase things.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair