The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-19-2020, 06:53 PM

It’s a gimmick.
Just commit to practice and you will learn to play.
Best advice you will receive.........there is no substitute for practice.
Martin D-16e
Goldtone CCR100 Banjo
Fender Albert Hammond Jr. Strat
Fender Player limited edition Cherry Burst Strat
Fender Squire Classic Vibe Tele
Old 02-20-2020, 06:17 PM

Well, the whole schmere is only about $50 so there's not really much to lose. It might help a little, who knows. I guess it wouldn't hurt to give it a try and see if any benefits can be seen from using it.

r/Mike
Old 02-20-2020, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey#1 View Post
Well, the whole schmere is only about $50 so there's not really much to lose. It might help a little, who knows. I guess it wouldn't hurt to give it a try and see if any benefits can be seen from using it.

r/Mike
You've been posting here for nearly 3 years, mostly (as far as I can tell) about your inability to progress with playing the guitar. It looks as if you might have tried an instructor or two over that time, but are still not getting anywhere.

Either you haven't found the right person to help you, or this just really isn't for you.

I don't think, in view of that history, that pinning any hope on a gadget like this is going to get you any further down this road.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-20-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
You've been posting here for nearly 3 years, mostly (as far as I can tell) about your inability to progress with playing the guitar. It looks as if you might have tried an instructor or two over that time, but are still not getting anywhere.

Either you haven't found the right person to help you, or this just really isn't for you.

I don't think, in view of that history, that pinning any hope on a gadget like this is going to get you any further down this road.
I haven't picked up a guitar in almost a year. Sort of lost interest. Like I did about three years ago when I lost interest and didn't play for almost a year then.

Like most of my hobbies, it comes and goes. I think the desire to practice again is about to hit again so we shall see.

r/Mike
Old 02-21-2020, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I haven't picked up a guitar in almost a year. Sort of lost interest. Like I did about three years ago when I lost interest and didn't play for almost a year then.

Like most of my hobbies, it comes and goes. I think the desire to practice again is about to hit again so we shall see.

r/Mike
Humm ?? Not trying to be unkind here BUT Seems to me You should first decide if you are "willing" and "interested" enough to "commit" to the time it takes to learn to play guitar.

There is an old saying "Take the time it takes" which very much applies. Playing guitar is a function of muscle memory, muscle memory for guitar is a function of 10's of thousands of repetitions.

Gadgets and gimmicks will not do the 10's of thousands of reps for you.

If you really want to learn to play ? Commit to at least 30 minutes to one hour, every day for at least 5 consecutive days a week, for a year (without the use of gadgets) .... Do that and you will playing guitar tunes

Yes its boring a lot of time and at time seems interminable, and fruitless .....But that will get you where you want to go..... BUT If your'e not willing to commit to that, perhaps it is time to reexamine your desire to play guitar at all .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-21-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerbullet View Post
Best advice you will receive.........there is no substitute for practice.
Okay. But part of "practice," I truly believe, is in observation. Delving deep into recordings and especially going out and hearing live music and figuring out what "musicality" is, what touches people's hearts.

You can be a beast of a technical player and still not be the slightest bit musical. You can play flyspecks like a madman with no magic, no joy. We all know that guy. Weird thing to me is, so many guys wanna be that guy.

Couch Standards
Old 02-23-2020, 06:36 PM

Well, I drove down to the Guitar Center in Evansville today and bought one of these Chordbuddy things. Didn't see that there was much to lose so I said what the heck.

r/Mike
Old 02-24-2020, 09:23 AM

$50 to turn your guitar into a autoharp is a lot cheaper than buying a autoharp.

Let us know how it works out for you,

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:41 PM

So far I don't think much of this device. Doesn't seem to do what its supposed to do. At least not for me.

I did buy this thing off eBay as well, should arrive this week. It might help me more than the ChordBuddy thing.

r/Mike

https://www.amazon.com/New】Digital-P.../dp/B07SPYGX6D
Old 02-29-2020, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
So far I don't think much of this device. Doesn't seem to do what its supposed to do. At least not for me.

I did buy this thing off eBay as well, should arrive this week. It might help me more than the ChordBuddy thing.

r/Mike

https://www.amazon.com/New】Digital-P.../dp/B07SPYGX6D
Whitey, it seems to me that you are trying to find "easy" ways to play guitar.
Playing any musical instrument is, by definition, difficult.

It is all about motor skills, emotive expression, really hard work, commitment, artistry and , yes, sore fingers.

Going to a teacher is a good way, but no-one can do the work for you.

There really is no easy way.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Whitey, it seems to me that you are trying to find "easy" ways to play guitar.
Playing any musical instrument is, by definition, difficult.

It is all about motor skills, emotive expression, really hard work, commitment, artistry and , yes, sore fingers.

Going to a teacher is a good way, but no-one can do the work for you.

There really is no easy way.

No, I am not looking for shortcuts or the proverbial magic bullet. What I am looking for is something that will help me. Even Tiger Woods did a lot of tinkering over the years.

r/Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars