The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-26-2021, 04:54 PM

Default Gonna learn this for first open mic. Which guitar?

Here's the tune. It'll be my first time out. Guitars in my sig below. I've learned a half dozen songs taught by this artist, with excellent results. Love the bends and the fan strums. The Republic rez's got a nut about 1-7/8" wide.

https://youtu.be/ZcFq7chgSFs

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles

Last edited by Shortfinger; 10-26-2021 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:04 PM

First time at an open mike, maybe play the guitar you're most comfortable with--no need to add one more item to the list of nervous-making elements.

As far as sound, a resophonic would be appropriate for a country blues. On the third hand, the guys who invented the tradition played whatever came to, um, hand, so you're back to what you're comfortable with.
Old 10-26-2021, 05:11 PM
Curiouser and curiouser

No offense, but I would encourage you to consider that your first open mic performance should be something that you can play from muscle memory, not a song you just learned.

That said, I love that rendition and may learn it myself! As said above, play the guitar that is most comfortable for you.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:14 PM

Which guitar is so much in tune physically/sonically with what you're seeking to express musically, that you could play it blindfolded in the dark and get a recording-quality performance...?

That one...
Old 10-26-2021, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Which guitar is so much in tune physically/sonically with what you're seeking to express musically, that you could play it blindfolded in the dark and get a recording-quality performance...?

That one...
Does that describe most all the open mic performances in your locale? Where I'm going they're pretty raggy.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 10-26-2021, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
Does that describe most all the open mic performances in your locale? Where I'm going they're pretty raggy.
With a few notable exceptions it's pretty much the same in my neck of the woods, but [1] it's your first performance, and speaking as one who did his first open mic as a 16-year-old kid in 1969 (and a bunch of others since) complete familiarity with your instrument of choice just takes one more worry off the list; and [2] just because everyone else is raggy doesn't mean you have to be - again speaking from experience, a little on-stage polish and professionalism can make you a bunch of new musical friends as well as professional contacts. We're both aware that it's not a contest, and hopefully nobody's there for the express purpose of cutting someone else - back in the '70s there was a well-known little group here in Greenwich Village that was notorious in this respect (if you know, you know ) - but by the same token, the old proverb about not hiding your light under a bushel definitely applies here...

Good luck...
Old 10-26-2021, 11:20 PM

I love Daddystovepipe! We are all so lucky to have him. If the reso plays well then yes that will have a great blues tone and vibe for Trouble in Mind. I think that is a great choice for your song, well recognized by everyone as it is such a classic. But you will have a unique version with Daddy's version which is slow and awesome.
Old 10-26-2021, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
Here's the tune. It'll be my first time out. Guitars in my sig below. I've learned a half dozen songs taught by this artist, with excellent results. Love the bends and the fan strums. The Republic rez's got a nut about 1-7/8" wide.

https://youtu.be/ZcFq7chgSFs

If you can proficiently perform a song like this, why have you waited so long to play out? You should have done it years ago!
Use the box you are most comfortable with... I'm sure you'll be a real hit....

Don
Old 10-27-2021, 06:58 AM

Have you been to this open mic before? If so, what type of music is usually played?
Bring a guitar with a pickup system, that does not have to be miked, unless you know that is the 'norm' for this open mic.
As others have said, be comfortable with the song(s) you are playing (and just one? most open mics usually allow 2 or more) and have memorized.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 10-27-2021, 07:33 AM
Charter Member

Hi, are you going to do your version of this old song, or are you going to try to copy Daddy Stovepipe's version?

I play it in C - but everyone plays it differently.

If I had the choose of your guitars, I'd use the reso, but what else are you going to play? take the most practical ad comfortable guitar for you.
Good luck!
Old 10-27-2021, 07:50 AM

What is the setting for this? I have gone to an open mic in a small setting for a few years, where I was quite comfortable to play guitar or ukulele and sing without amplification, so I had a lot of control over my sound and interaction with the audience of up to about 30 people. Now the organizer has moved to a bar with a stage and PA and I went for the first time last weekend. I made sure to take one of my AE guitars, and I found it uncomfortable to rely on a mixer guy who had the guitar blaring at me through a monitor but I could not hear myself sing. People in the audience said it sounded ok, but still it is important to be aware of the setting and come prepared.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion