The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-25-2021, 02:15 PM

Default Knoxville Rag

I found a lesson from Toby Walker when googling something fairly unrelated. It’s so cool I decided to learn it. I’m about a week in and reasonably happy with my performance. I feel like I do somewhat better before the little red light comes on but what’re you gonna do? I’m still only around half speed too.
This represents a milestone for me as it’s the first tune I have learned without resorting to tablature. Huge thanks to Toby for making such great lessons available.

1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 10-25-2021, 06:45 PM

Well done David! And playing it slowly is a trick. I play it faster, and in doing so, I miss half the notes .

What I have really enjoyed about this piece is that it is a gateway to shapes around the neck. So many times I'll be playing another song and suddenly hit a C at the 8th fret, etc, thinking, "Where did I learn that?" And the answer is Toby's arrangement of "Knoxville Rag."

And now I feel ashamed - I'll have to learn to play it accurately at half speed.

best,

Rick
Old 10-26-2021, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Nice job on this one, David, your progress is very noticeable. Tone is great, too.

That is a neat tune that I was not aware of. I watched Toby's video this morning and am going to work it up. I have trouble weaning myself from tab, this looks like one with enough repetition and "logical" flow that I might be able to memorize it in less than 6 months .

Thanks for posting, keep up the good work!
Old 10-26-2021, 10:16 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Its coming along David. If you listened to my first attempts at learning a tune you wouldn't think I even knew how to play. Going in slow motion is the best way to learn imo.

That's a good tune. I might have to learn it. You might like Toby's arrangement of Deep River Blues too.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell