The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-24-2021, 05:44 PM

Default Photos of "High and Behind" speaker set-up

I've never set-up my PA this way and I don't think I've ever seen anyone doing this... Anyone out there have a photo? Or could give me a description? I know it's obviously up high and behind me... but... ya know... Having a hard time thinking it wouldn't look weird.

I'm playing as Acoustic duo/solo. Indoors/outdoors.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

This is the closest I could find without spending all night. Now, this is high and kinda even, though I think the mic is just behind the front of the PAs. But where I've seen the type of setup you describe the most, is with performers sitting down. So sit that guy down, move him out and bit, and there you go. I've certainly seen that.

I did see a trio last year where the acoustic-electric fiddler was standing and he had a Bose S1 Pro above his head and behind him. You may know the S1 is a smaller unit than what you see here. All of it was higher than the top of his head.

A lot depends on the environment and the music. I've seen exactly what you describe at the venue shown below, outdoors like this--and without a canopy. In that scenario the soundwaves are less confined and with a more acoustic-oriented performance very doable. Indoors, in a typical small bar, lotsa luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210423_193758.jpg (41.3 KB, 222 views)
Old 10-24-2021, 09:32 PM

I don't have a pic, but I'm using one QSC K10 like that in the video below. You can just see the speaker in the upper right corner of the frame. The room is tiny; think a medium-size living room with the bar taking up a good chunk of one corner. I get the speaker up above mic level as far as practical, and also try to put the speaker and mic off-axis to each other a bit (point the mic slightly to the left and the speaker slightly to the right or vice versa) to minimize the chance of feedback.

I'm playing electric in this song, but had no problems with the acoustic parts of my set, even in that small space.

Old 10-25-2021, 05:40 AM

The simplest possible setup using the mixer built into the speaker.

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-25-2021, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
I don't have a pic, but I'm using one QSC K10 like that in the video below. ...I'm playing electric in this song, but had no problems with the acoustic parts of my set, even in that small space.
Cool, great to see it can be done indoors too!
Old 10-25-2021, 10:33 AM

Awesome! I really appreciate all the feedback. I'm going to give it a shot at a gig on Friday. I typically play standing up, but the ceilings in this place are really tall!
Old 10-26-2021, 05:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braintree56 View Post
Awesome! I really appreciate all the feedback. I'm going to give it a shot at a gig on Friday. I typically play standing up, but the ceilings in this place are really tall!
Results? thanks!
Old 10-28-2021, 06:03 PM

I'll post a picture and give an update after the gig tomorrow!
Old 10-30-2021, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
Results? thanks!
Worked out amazing. I didn't get a great photo - but I used one speaker right between us. One of my musician friends who was in the audience commented on how good the sound was.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braintree56 View Post
Worked out amazing. I didn't get a great photo - but I used one speaker right between us. One of my musician friends who was in the audience commented on how good the sound was.
That's great!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification