The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-24-2021, 09:12 AM

Default Purchase Advice for PA upgrade

Starting to upgrade my ancient PA. Having trouble finding some info on a few particulars. Also open to other suggestions.

I currently have a really old mixer/amp combo with passive speakers. I bought this set-up for a band but now play mostly quieter acoustic gigs. It's a bit of overkill for what I'm doing.

I have a Yamaha MG10xu in addition to the mixer/amp combo that's not currently being used in the live set-up.

I'm thinking powered speakers/monitors are the way to go. It seems from everything I've read that QSC speakers are generally high regarded (possibly the best). What size speaker would you recommend? Also - I've been seeing people saying they've used one speaker "high and behind" - I've never done that - does that cause feedback issues?

Would K8.2 be enough for the outdoor shows? Would the larger ones be way too much for the inside shows?

I'm not opposed to buying multiple set-ups over time. Possibly an array for the indoor small set-ups and powered speakers for the outdoor set-ups.

My music:
- A blues/jazz duo - acoustic guitar/vocals and harmonica/trumpet/vocals - 3 mics.
- Solo covers - acoustic guitar/vocals. Pick-up on the guitar, 1 xlr for mic.

My gigs:
In the Covid era, I haven't been gigging as many different places. Most of my gigs are in these types of venues:

1. Brewery with very active acoustics - lots of wood. high ceilings. 10-50 people with a lot of turnover.

2. Outdoor Beer Garden - up to 100 people. Very spread out. Probably 100'x100'.

3. Indoor restaurant - quiet music while people are dining, small/medium size.

4. Weird outdoor Beer Garden with a Tin Roof and open sides - Really awful sound. Lots of people. Can get loud.
Old 10-24-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braintree56 View Post
Starting to upgrade my ancient PA. Having trouble finding some info on a few particulars. Also open to other suggestions.

I currently have a really old mixer/amp combo with passive speakers. I bought this set-up for a band but now play mostly quieter acoustic gigs. It's a bit of overkill for what I'm doing.

I have a Yamaha MG10xu in addition to the mixer/amp combo that's not currently being used in the live set-up.

I'm thinking powered speakers/monitors are the way to go. It seems from everything I've read that QSC speakers are generally high regarded (possibly the best). What size speaker would you recommend? Also - I've been seeing people saying they've used one speaker "high and behind" - I've never done that - does that cause feedback issues?

Would K8.2 be enough for the outdoor shows? Would the larger ones be way too much for the inside shows?

I'm not opposed to buying multiple set-ups over time. Possibly an array for the indoor small set-ups and powered speakers for the outdoor set-ups.

My music:
- A blues/jazz duo - acoustic guitar/vocals and harmonica/trumpet/vocals - 3 mics.
- Solo covers - acoustic guitar/vocals. Pick-up on the guitar, 1 xlr for mic.

My gigs:
In the Covid era, I haven't been gigging as many different places. Most of my gigs are in these types of venues:

1. Brewery with very active acoustics - lots of wood. high ceilings. 10-50 people with a lot of turnover.

2. Outdoor Beer Garden - up to 100 people. Very spread out. Probably 100'x100'.

3. Indoor restaurant - quiet music while people are dining, small/medium size.

4. Weird outdoor Beer Garden with a Tin Roof and open sides - Really awful sound. Lots of people. Can get loud.
I've used a 15, 12s, and 10s. Never had a chance to use 8s. I will say, it's nice to have that headroom and not need it that to need it and not have the extra oomph. If you ever add a bass or keys, the 12s will shine brightly. 8s WILL handle a bass, but 12s will sound better. If you're able to handle the weight, I say go for 12s.

Heck, buy an 8 and a 12, experiment with them. Use the 8 for a monitor and the 12 for a main. You'll get it dialed in.

Nice little mixer you have to start with.
Old 10-24-2021, 04:33 PM

You're probably right. I just need to try some things out. Wondering if the CP12 would be fine... Any knowledge about those?
Old 10-24-2021, 06:00 PM

I use a pair of powered 8" speakers, both indoors and outdoors. I've been using a pair of Behringer B208D speakers for the last couple of years, but one recently died (built in 2009) so I replaced them with a pair of Alto TX208 speakers ($99.99 ea. at GC). I get complements on the sound. BTW, I thought about going larger, but the weight and size is a factor for me when I'm transporting them, which is at least once a week.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification