The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-25-2021, 08:04 PM

Very well done! I liked the way you included some of the piano part.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 10-25-2021, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Glenn, I enjoyed that, thanks for sharing.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-25-2021, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Thank you for that, Willow. One of the top ten songs of my youth and you did it a solid justice. I liked your story lead in also. Spending twenty years of my career working in Manhattan I had the opportunity hearing street performers almost daily. Solid, musical players you couldn’t believe weren’t famous based on their skills. This song couldn’t hit closer to home for me, having been so much a part of my daily routine coming and going in and out of the city. Thanks again, Glenn.
frank d.
Hi Frank!

Thank you for listening and taking time to comment! Very much appreciated!

I bet you have had all kinds of experience in hearing street performers! In and out of Manhattan for 20 years! Wow! A guy could write a book on the experiences, I bet! So many of these people are fantastic performers.

All of my life I have marveled at the fantastic performers I have heard and wondered, why didn't this guy or gal make it? Why didn't this group hit the big time? There is no explaining any of it.

I really do love Joni Mitchell's story and it sounds so real, you know it really had to have happened.

I did receive your message; I will respond tomorrow. I just got power back after a 5-hour outage so I have some computers to restart.

Take care!
- Glenn
Old 10-25-2021, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
Very well done! I liked the way you included some of the piano part.
Thank you Warren!

How nice of you! Yes, I did include my guitar approximations of what Joni did on the piano. It just sort of fit in and seemed to sound right.

Thank you for watching and taking the time to comment here, Warren!

I hope all is well for you! Be well!

- Glenn
Old 10-25-2021, 10:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Glenn, I enjoyed that, thanks for sharing.
Hi Barry!

Thank you! I appreciate your watching and taking time to comment! Much appreciated!

I can't help noticing, Barry, that your post count is getting way up there! Good for you!

I hope all is well there!

- Glenn
Old 10-26-2021, 05:21 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post

This song from Joni Mitchell has always spoken to me. I remember so clearly once during a visit to Chicago where an incredibly good young violinist was playing Vivaldi's "Four Seasons" on the corner in front of the Art Institute with all the traffic and noise on Michigan Ave. Just like Joni Mitchell in this song, I meant to let him know how much I appreciated his playing, but the signal changed and I had a very important engagement to get to. So, regrettably, I passed his music by....

Lovely song by one of the greatest singer/songwriters ever. Love Joni and you did a very fine rendition... needed to tell you this!

Roland Kalus

https://rolandkalus.bandcamp.com/alb...le-autumn-blue
Mcilroy A30
Stevens 000-P
Yairi OM
Martin Duwe OM 12fret Cut
Stevens OM-P
Martin Duwe Crossover

AER Amps and PA-Systems
Old 10-26-2021, 09:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepnback View Post
Lovely song by one of the greatest singer/songwriters ever. Love Joni and you did a very fine rendition... needed to tell you this!
Thanks so much Roland!

I really appreciate your taking time to offer support and encouragement! And I'm glad you felt that this cover came out reasonably well!

Joni Mitchell is one of the greatest songwriters of modern times -- I agree!

Thank you Roland! I hope things are good for you!

- Glenn
Old 10-27-2021, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
What's the matter, Glenn... can't you play the clarinet?

That's wonderful. I've always enjoyed that tune... and such a great album.

I've spent enough time walking major cities to have been moved by several street players. I always enjoyed that experience. Thanks for bringing back a wonderful song and reminding me of many good times.
Hi Kerbie,

Your post must have come in when I was responding to someone else and I didn't see it. Sorry for missing your comments until now!

Thank you for watching and taking time to comment. I also loved the early Joni Mitchell stuff. She wrote so many good songs and this one has always resonated with me.

I bet you have seen a lot of street performers, as I have.

I have a sister and a brother who played clarinet and one summer when I got so badly sunburned that I couldn't put shoes on, I couldn't go out and play baseball so I learned to play my brother's clarinet. I enjoyed it. When my sunburned feet healed up, I abandoned the clarinet. I was really made for the guitar, I think.

Thanks so much for your kind words, Kerbie! Much appreciated! I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 10-30-2021, 09:25 AM

Oh wow Glenn, that was lovely! First time hearing the song so now I need to go and listen to Joni's original. Your vocals were spot on and haunting. Also, very well played on a beautiful guitar - the inlays are stunning.

As always - thank you sir for sharing
Old 10-30-2021, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
Oh wow Glenn, that was lovely! First time hearing the song so now I need to go and listen to Joni's original. Your vocals were spot on and haunting. Also, very well played on a beautiful guitar - the inlays are stunning.

As always - thank you sir for sharing
Thank you Steve!

I'm glad you could enjoy this, even hearing it for the first time. This is Joni playing this on the piano in 1970.

The guitar I used is a Gerald Sheppard GA Ave Maria. I bought it from a fellow AGFer that I came to know locally from some AGF get-togethers. He has a fair number of custom-made guitars and he needed funds to pay for some new builds. So he offered to sell me this guitar. It is quite beautiful and also sounds beautiful.

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 10-30-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Thank you Steve!

I'm glad you could enjoy this, even hearing it for the first time. This is Joni playing this on the piano in 1970.

The guitar I used is a Gerald Sheppard GA Ave Maria. I bought it from a fellow AGFer that I came to know locally from some AGF get-togethers. He has a fair number of custom-made guitars and he needed funds to pay for some new builds. So he offered to sell me this guitar. It is quite beautiful and also sounds beautiful.

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn
I am well Glenn, thanks for asking, and thank you for the Joni version which is so achingly beautiful. I have always appreciated the unknown music that is created and shared with the world and this perfectly captures that. My morning is complete.
Old 10-30-2021, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
I am well Glenn, thanks for asking, and thank you for the Joni version which is so achingly beautiful. I have always appreciated the unknown music that is created and shared with the world and this perfectly captures that. My morning is complete.
Hi Steve,

I'm so glad you enjoyed Joni's version on the piano. It is quite beautiful. I'm glad there was a video recording of this available from 1970.

My mother-in-law was a good pianist and she used to sit at our piano and play this song. She could just turn the page and play one Joni Mitchell song after the other. It was pretty wonderful. My wife would often sing the Joni vocal part.

Be well Steve,
Glenn
Old 10-30-2021, 04:49 PM

Thanks for your recent Joni covers, Glenn.

D.H.
Old 10-30-2021, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Kerbie,

Your post must have come in when I was responding to someone else and I didn't see it. Sorry for missing your comments until now!
I almost got away with it, didn't I?
Old 10-30-2021, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
Thanks for your recent Joni covers, Glenn.

D.H.
Hi Dave!

Thank you for watching! And thanks for taking time to comment! Much appreciated!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell