The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-26-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
I suggest a long romantic weekend in Nashville.
Say! That's not a bad idea! Plenty of guitar stores and lots of music. There must be some horse farms, as llew suggested. And I'll bet there's some good restaurants, too!

My youngest daughter is a computer person who can basically do her job from anywhere. She could come down and look after the horses and dogs.

I might have to give that idea some serious consideration.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
Say! That's not a bad idea! Plenty of guitar stores and lots of music. There must be some horse farms, as llew suggested. And I'll bet there's some good restaurants, too!

My youngest daughter is a computer person who can basically do her job from anywhere. She could come down and look after the horses and dogs.

I might have to give that idea some serious consideration.
It's a fun town. But I'd add one thing to Bob's suggestion...if you're able skip the weekend (as it can be a zoo depending on where you are) and go during the week if that's doable. When we go back I'll arrive on a Sunday or Monday and leave by Friday. Just a thought. A lot less people in town. Not necessary but a lot nicer IMO?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 10-26-2021, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Any luthier suggestions? I'm a patient sort. I have plenty of guitars to go on with.
Kevin Kopp
Old 10-26-2021, 07:14 PM

Completely different: Goodall Grand Concert in some type or rosewood or walnut.

Somewhat different: Greven 000 with Brazilian back and sides. Or a Santa Cruz 000 in some type of rosewood.

Or a Collings OM2HG. Or the Collings CJ45T.

But it is always OK to stay close to what you like. A guitar in a size you like, but maybe try walnut back and sides instead of mahogany.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:39 PM
Charter Member

You seem to have a lot of mahogany in the house and need something different from a Gibson. Have you considered a 12 fret dreadnought or 000? A new or used Collings DS2H or 0002H would be interesting choices. If you are okay with buying used, the D28 Authentic '31 and 00028VS are two of my favorite Martins.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:55 PM

For me, it depends on whether you are a player or a collector or both. If you are a collector then order from a luthier and pick your woods, box etc... If you are a player, then what do you like? A banjo killer or a concert? You have so many decisions. I went through a period like that, but after many decades I found THE solution for me. If you are wanting tone, then I recommend the LS series or the LL series Yamaha acoustics. Truly true tone monsters.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfluidity View Post
For me, it depends on whether you are a player or a collector or both. If you are a collector then order from a luthier and pick your woods, box etc... If you are a player, then what do you like? A banjo killer or a concert? You have so many decisions. I went through a period like that, but after many decades I found THE solution for me. If you are wanting tone, then I recommend the LS series or the LL series Yamaha acoustics. Truly true tone monsters.
Do they make an LS56? Strangely enough, I was looking at high end Yamahas. That would certainly be an atypical way to go.

And all the Collings people seem pretty happy, as well.

I play them. I have a few very nice guitars in the herd that some people might consider collectible, but if I buy one, it gets played. A lot.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Do they make an LS56? Strangely enough, I was looking at high end Yamahas. That would certainly be an atypical way to go.

And all the Collings people seem pretty happy, as well.

I play them. I have a few very nice guitars in the herd that some people might consider collectible, but if I buy one, it gets played. A lot.
Yes, I am getting an LS56Custom tomorrow, but it took a long time for Hiroshi Sakurai to make it. I will post the pictures after I get it tomorrow. If you are a player, I would consider them. Here is Carl Minor playing one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8FYUFcwaU4
Old 10-26-2021, 09:57 PM

Another + to Kevin Kopp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion