The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-26-2021, 09:25 AM

Default PRS SE Angelus A50e?

Anyone have any experience with this model guitar or any of the other Angelus models? What are your opinions?
Old 10-26-2021, 02:43 PM

My wife owns a PRS SE Angelus A50EVS that she bought a while back when she decided to take up guitar. She liked the birds and the burst and bling.

She's normally a pianist and also plays mandolin. She has since acquired a new Gibson L-00 Standard, so the PRS has been a little lonely of late.

I just went over and got it out of the case, she doesn't mind if I play her guitars, though I usually have one of my Gibson Jumbo-types in my hands, my favorite being my Gibson Custom Shop 1958 Country Western Reissue.

So that gives you some idea of my perspective.

I just played it for a little while, even fingerpicked and sang a couple of songs with it. It's a nice little guitar.

It certainly is a pretty thing. The craftsmanship seems to be first rate, everything seems to be in order. The fret work is very nicely done. I don't see anything to complain about.

It plays very easy, has very good note separation, and the neck is quite comfortable, though a little thicker than some of my guitars.

It doesn't seem as loud as my guitars, which is understandable, I guess. It may have something to do with the laminated back and sides as well as size, I don't know. But if you're sitting on the couch playing, it's loud enough. And you can always plug it in.

Overall, it's pretty, the workmanship is excellent, it plays very nicely with an easy action, and it sounds pretty good. It came with a decent hardshell case.

Overall, I'd say they're a pretty good value for the money. I usually associate PRS with electrics, but they seem to make a decent acoustic for the price. And they're pretty things.
Old 10-26-2021, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
My wife owns a PRS SE Angelus A50EVS that she bought a while back when she decided to take up guitar. She liked the birds and the burst and bling.

She's normally a pianist and also plays mandolin. She has since acquired a new Gibson L-00 Standard, so the PRS has been a little lonely of late.

I just went over and got it out of the case, she doesn't mind if I play her guitars, though I usually have one of my Gibson Jumbo-types in my hands, my favorite being my Gibson Custom Shop 1958 Country Western Reissue.

So that gives you some idea of my perspective.

I just played it for a little while, even fingerpicked and sang a couple of songs with it. It's a nice little guitar.

It certainly is a pretty thing. The craftsmanship seems to be first rate, everything seems to be in order. The fret work is very nicely done. I don't see anything to complain about.

It plays very easy, has very good note separation, and the neck is quite comfortable, though a little thicker than some of my guitars.

It doesn't seem as loud as my guitars, which is understandable, I guess. It may have something to do with the laminated back and sides as well as size, I don't know. But if you're sitting on the couch playing, it's loud enough. And you can always plug it in.

Overall, it's pretty, the workmanship is excellent, it plays very nicely with an easy action, and it sounds pretty good. It came with a decent hardshell case.

Overall, I'd say they're a pretty good value for the money. I usually associate PRS with electrics, but they seem to make a decent acoustic for the price. And they're pretty things.
Thanks for those impressions. Check your inbox!
Old 10-27-2021, 04:32 PM

Agree with the above from Sugar Bear. I will add it seemed a bit heavy (lam b&s to blame?). While not loud by Gibson jumbo standards, it projects well enough. Ultimately, I perceive this guitar as designed to be plugged in (like the Breedlove Discovery series, Yamaha A series, and Takamines for example). Plugged in, the sound can be dialed in. As many will say on here, if you like it then buy it.
Old 10-28-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuchdig View Post
Agree with the above from Sugar Bear. I will add it seemed a bit heavy (lam b&s to blame?). While not loud by Gibson jumbo standards, it projects well enough. Ultimately, I perceive this guitar as designed to be plugged in (like the Breedlove Discovery series, Yamaha A series, and Takamines for example). Plugged in, the sound can be dialed in. As many will say on here, if you like it then buy it.
So you have it but never plugged it in?
Old 10-28-2021, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
So you have it but never plugged it in?
Don't own. Played, but not plugged in. I liked the feel/playability. My preconceived notion was the sound would not be full. Not a fair way to approach any instrument. Sound was decent enough but this thing is meant to be plugged in.
At the price point which includes hsc, I think it is a fair deal.
Old 10-29-2021, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuchdig View Post
Don't own. Played, but not plugged in. I liked the feel/playability. My preconceived notion was the sound would not be full. Not a fair way to approach any instrument. Sound was decent enough but this thing is meant to be plugged in.
At the price point which includes hsc, I think it is a fair deal.
Just grabbed one for 699. What a deal
https://www.guitarcenter.com/PRS/SE-...00000342516.gc

I'll report back...but I'm just looking for another gigging guitar with easy playability.
Old 10-30-2021, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

I bought one of the first ones 3 years ago - Abaco Beach green.
Paul named the hue after his favorite beach.
Since a hurricane decimated the island I do not see them for sale.
Great specs and strong guitar to bring out and about.

Old 10-31-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
I bought one of the first ones 3 years ago - Abaco Beach green.
Paul named the hue after his favorite beach.
Since a hurricane decimated the island I do not see them for sale.
Great specs and strong guitar to bring out and about.
I don't see many guitars of this quality for this price. Maybe the IBG Epiphones
or the Yamaha A series.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion