The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-26-2021, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

Interesting topic towards which I have nothing of any value to contribute. The notion that I might somehow overtake, or even approach, my guitar idols exceeds even my fertile imagination. I am 65. I took up the guitar two and years ago to scratch an itch. Funny but the more I scratch, the bigger the itch. I have come to accept that there is no bottom to that rabbit hole and I'd best just enjoy the fall.
And I am.
David
Old 10-26-2021, 07:37 AM

5 years ago I was 1% as good as Tommy Emmanuel. Now I'm 2% as good.

I'm coming for you Tommy
Old 10-26-2021, 07:59 AM

IF, I could ever emulate Willie, playing, singing or writing, I'd die and go on to heaven- I determined I never will, but, I can be the best me I can be which is improved every time I play, sing and write- I bet he couldn't emulate me either
Old 10-26-2021, 08:23 AM

There's no doubt that you can "catch up" to someone you admire, if you're talking technique or musicality, especially via a recording, which is only a time-capsule snapshot of their skills at that time, in any case. It's always good to keep in mind that most artists/musicians you prefer continued to grow and learn, too, so catching up to them is often a fool's errand.

But what makes a favorite artist a favorite? Was it their virtuosity? Or was it something that simply inspired you, without virtuosity? Either, or both?

There are a lot of players I admire, whose skills are or were extraordinary and almost impossible to imitate; emulate, maybe. Others were simpler, even limited, but in their simplicity they created something even harder to imitate, a uniqueness, which inspired me to write and play music as well.

All we're really acknowledging is that we also grow and play/write better over time, and have personal icons we followed to thank for that. I can outplay some of them, but only because I had their music to listen and learn from in the first place.
Old 10-26-2021, 09:10 AM
Charter Member

I don't conceive the situation in that way anymore. A person has the skills or they don't. Mimicking ones musical artistry has never been my goal. Not that I wouldn't do it if I could but I can't so I don't. There is only so much a person can learn about playing the guitar. Assimilating that and utilizing it at will is another aspect.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 10-26-2021, 10:11 AM

I have to say that while I certainly understand where he's coming from, I don't feel the same way Bob does about this topic. For one thing, I've never set out to learn to play like an artist whose work I love. (and there are SO many of those) I just sit down and try to approximate what the song sounds like, and after x amount of time it becomes my own version while still being easily recognizable. My arrangements reflect how the song feels to me. It's highly enjoyable, very organic and completely unscientific, but it's how I do things. (I should note here that if I'm learning tunes for our band, I do research and use the correct chords/voicings/tunings - that's a different situation entirely) My technical prowess is no doubt much less than what it should be as a result of not pursuing the techniques of great players, but for better or worse I have my own style at this point. If I wasn't having fun with it, I'd do something else.
Old 10-26-2021, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

This is an interesting question. I have two thoughts:
1) As others have said most of the artists I listen to are song writers as well as players, so there's always a chance at least to continue enjoying their songs old and new, regardless of whether or not my technical skill has eclipsed them (which in my case hasn't happened); and
2) Most of us fall in and out of "love" with some artists for several possible reasons, not just technical skill level. Maybe I just stopped liking their new material because they've gone in a new direction, run out of good ideas, or my taste has changed. So IMHO losing interest in certain artists happens all the time for a variety reasons (i.e., "loved their older stuff, not so much the newer stuff".)
Old 10-26-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Have any of you had this experience?
(...)

I've come to this point with a couple of my influences and had to re-evaluate them. There are interesting stories behind that but they are for another day. How about you? Have you come to this point with an artist? Have you caught up, or nearly caught up? Did you come to grips or part ways?

Bob
technique-wise i have caught up with many of my influences. but musical talent and learned skills are quite different i 'd say. skill is important, sure , but really it's the melodies and the songs the artist creates , these are what make you listen to and follow them..... i have seen amazing players over the years, but never become their listener. what i'm trying to say is that everyone can develop skill if they practice hard enough , but not everyone can create quality music. my experience has led me to believe that writing really good songs is the most challenging part ; you may have mastered the best of techniques, but where are the songs? and how many of them are actually good? honestly , all of my influences still keep inspiring me, and i still have the utmost awe and admiration for all of their songs.
Old 10-27-2021, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misifus View Post
And, after you’ve devoted years of study and practice to gain this insight into his innovation and technique, you realize he (or she) did it when he was 22.

Oh, well, back to the drawing board.
That would be Joni Anderson, ie, Joni Mitchell. She totally blew away her peers in the folk world with her music and lyrics at that age.
Old 10-27-2021, 02:18 AM

I liken this entire premise to believing in Santa Claus. As a young kid, the lore of this fat guy in a red suit captured my imagination and occupied many of my thoughts from well before Thanksgiving, right up to Christmas Day. The mystery intrigued me enough to even "behave" a certain way right up until the point where there was nothing left under the tree but crumpled up wrapping paper. Inspired to do good deeds, only as a means toward an end, i would make my list and check it twice in the hopes that all my materialistic wants would come true. The mystery was something to be shared with friends and family.
Then that fateful day arrived when the fat guys existence could no longer be ignored. For me it began with a few of the older kids, as only kids can do, bursting my bubble, and planting the seeds of doubt. The magic of the upcoming holiday became lessened by my doubts, until the one year my Dad decided to play Santa Claus. Sitting on his lap listening to this piss poor excuse for a Santa Claus barely eeking out a Ho Ho Ho it became clear to me that my life was changed forever.
The magic was gone, or so I thought. It became replaced by seeing Christmas and its magic ,through the eyes of my younger than me siblings. The feet of clay that so disappointed me about my parents when I no longer believed, was replaced with a new found understanding that the real joy came more from the giving than from the getting.
This same joy lives on in my musical journey. I can still look back with very fond memories of that fat guy in the red suit, and appreciate him for the magic that he inspired in me to share the gift. My only regret is that the only ones who appreciate the fruits of my musical journey are my two dogs!!!
Old 10-27-2021, 05:53 AM
Charter Member

What it all boils down to. Is your willingness to do the work.

Those artists that you have tried to emulate over the years. Did the same thing with their influences.

Difference being. They likely were completely engulfed by the music.

You have heard the 10,000 hours of practice saying?

Well that 10,000 hours is just a starting point.

At a certain point you must take all you've learned. And become you.

When you become comfortable with your style of play. You can take all you've learned. Apply it as YOU see fit. And you'll become your own inspiration to others.
Old 10-27-2021, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
This hasn't happened to me (yet), for a few reasons. The artists I most admire are songwriters, not technically dazzling players. It didn't take a tremendous amount of work to be able to play like John Prine, Guy Clark, Slaid Cleaves or Steve Earle. But I'll probably never be able to write songs like they have...

...Circling back to my personal musical influences - after spending a few years here on AGF I get the impression that most of the players here would be very happy to be as competent on guitar as John Prine or Guy Clark.
Agree. I do admire the technical guitar skills of some players but the songwriting is where the real art is for me. In another thread someone mentioned feeling like they had "arrived" as a player when they could do a good job with "Fire and Rain." That song is a great example of needing some mastery of the guitar to pull off and I was thrilled when I could play it reasonably well. However, there are times when I'm playing and singing this song and the emotions that JT felt when he wrote it just overwhelm me and the tears well up. The line "I just can't remember who to send it to" after describing a dear friend lost to suicide just guts me.

So no, it doesn't take guitar wizardry to impress me. In fact, most of the time less is more and that's why I most admire players like David Gilmore and Mark Knopfler instead of, for instance, Jeff Beck (no disrespect to JB fans, he just doesn't do it for me). But give me simple guitar and great songwriting, a la Prine, TVZ, Isbell, Jackson Browne and the like, and I'm hooked.

Great thread and interesting comments BTW.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion