The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Default Do You Buy Because of Looks Or Sound?

I have to wonder if sometimes we get swayed to buy a guitar by simply the looks on a guitar over the sound of a guitar.

Now I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with buying a guitar simply because it looks great. In fact it is very possible that not only does a guitar look great, but sounds great too. On the other hand, sometimes something looks great but doesn't sound all that great. Do you still buy it?

I'll give you an example. I've always thought I'd like to have a guitar made with Cocobolo back and sides. To me, it's one of the best looking woods out there when you get a good set of wood to make a guitar out of it. I thought that it has GOT to sound great. Just look at that thing! But the very first time I ever played a Cocobolo guitar, it just didn't do anything for me. I've played several other cocobolo guitars and some sounded fine, but really not all that much better than I had hoped it would be compared to other tonewoods.

Then consider bling. I've always thought it would be cool to have the guitar have its binding trimmed with abalone pieces. My Taylor DDSM had that. But in the end, I decided it wasn't all that necessary. I rather have a better sounding acoustic. (The DDSM was the best plugged in guitar though...)

Today, I play an R Taylor Style One (Maple / Sitka.) Short of a very nice flame on the Maple, the Style One is about as basic of a guitar as you can get. No fret markers, no other bling. But it has a nice sound to it and right now, that's what I like most.

Admittedly, I was tempted by a Cocobolo version of the guitar, but in the end, it was more costly and I was afraid it might sound like the other Cocobolo guitars I did not exactly think were spectacular... so I opted for the tried and true and stuck with maple (which is what I usually like best.)

So what about you? Do you get swayed by the looks of a guitar to the point where you would give up the sound for the looks?

Here's my current R Taylor in case you'd like to see what I'm currently playing:

Old 04-27-2010, 12:35 PM

I'm the opposite. I won't give into the looks if I don't like the sound. Then again, if I don't like the looks I won't give into the sound .

Both aspects have to appeal to me. If I'm buying something I have to like every inch of it.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:38 PM

I want a Taylor K24ce and I've never played one. That should tell you enough.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:38 PM

To me it's all about balance.

The sound is very important, but if it doesn't have abalone markers at least, I'll look for a similar guitar with abalones
Old 04-27-2010, 12:41 PM

Forgot to post a picture of the K24ce:
Florentine-style cutaway would look beautiful on this I think.

I'm now playing on this 110ce:
I kind of like the venetian-style cutaway on dreads.

@ Forensicguy
Beautiful R. Taylor you've got there! Is that spruce (whichever species) with maple (whichever species? I'm curious!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:42 PM
happiness

The feel is the top priority for me, but I also have to like the tone and the looks if it's going to join my herd.

Fliss
Old 04-27-2010, 12:45 PM

I'm a plain sort of guy. I don't like a lot of abalone and junk on my guitar. I guess I'm one of those folks that looks for a player's guitar. I'm more concerned with build quality and sound then bling and am more then willing to give up exotic woods and inlays for a good sound.

...of course a ugly guitar with a great sound would be something I'd really have to mull over a while.

-Jim
2009 Martin D-18
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-02
2014 Martin CEO-7
2015 Gibson J-45
Old 04-27-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1tty View Post
To me it's all about balance.

The sound is very important, but if it doesn't have abalone markers at least, I'll look for a similar guitar with abalones

I'm an "on balance" guy also. Just like life partners, there has to be good looks and good personality.

All that said, I prefer blondes, and pearl markers.

Gary
Yamaha NTX700
Recording King ROS-06
Greg Bennett OM 8CE
Yamaha CGX 171 SCF Flamenco
Ibanez AG95 DBS
Old 04-27-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
The feel is the top priority for me, but I also have to like the tone and the looks if it's going to join my herd.
+1. Nothing else matters if the playability and feel isn't there. Sound is second for me. Looks are a distant third. Brand and resale value fourth. And how much room I have left in my office is starting to become a consideration.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 04-27-2010, 12:49 PM

well I have had some with real bling! A Goodall that was gorgeous to look at, play and hear.

But my favorite is a plain as it gets Martin 0000 with adi/mahogany.

So sound first for me by far.... And you can set up most anything to play good if you like the neck size. A few years ago I was really into the looks, and still love a beautiful exotic wood guitar.

But by far from me its SOUND and TONE.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forensicguy View Post
I have to wonder if sometimes we get swayed to buy a guitar by simply the looks on a guitar over the sound of a guitar.
I s'pose it depends on whether you play in front of a microphone or a mirror.

George
Old 04-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue Zephyr View Post
@ Forensicguy
Beautiful R. Taylor you've got there! Is that spruce (whichever species) with maple (whichever species? I'm curious!
Thanks. It is Sitka Spruce for the top and Big Leaf Maple for the back and sides. It is the third production R Taylor ever made... which dates it back to 2006.

It has since been modified with the addition of a strap button on the heel of the neck (like most other Taylors) and a K&K Pure Western Mini pickup installed. Other than that, it's stock.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:10 PM

Sound, playability then looks.

Not on purpose but all my dreads are rather plain Jane, even though the least expensive is a D-18GE, and all my small bodies have some "bling", so I like simple appointments but also appreciate fine craftmanship too.

I do really like torch headstocks, but the guitar has to win my ears first.

Sound trumps everything!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 04-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Hi For-etc guy…
Sound/tone and playability.

If it looked like crap, but sounded stellar - I’d probably just have to learn to play with my eyes closed.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-27-2010, 01:19 PM

Sound. And I don't really care a whole lot about who made it or what it's made of. IMO one of the best playing and sounding guitars I've ever owned was a 70's vintage Japanese built Ventura V-12. And lots of other people thought so too. Everywhere I took it, people wanted to play it.
I own a 70's Yamaha FG-340 that I've kept while several MUCH more expensive guitars have come and gone.
I posted last Friday about an older Lawsuit logo Takamine G-330 I found in a local pawnshop. I had just been to GC thumping on some high end guitars, and this low end Tak sounded very close to the BIG $ guitars I had just played. Even w/ semi-dead strings. Went back yesterday to check it out again to be sure. Went back today and put it on layaway. (Normally I could've bought it outright, but just had write a BIG check to Uncle Sam. So my Mad money is running low.)
IMO guitars have "personalities" just like people. And some high end guitars can sound like poop, and some cheapo's can sound great. It just all depends on if right pieces of wood came together w/the right builder and the God's smiled.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion