The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-21-2019, 01:09 PM

Default Bass strings sound 'chorusy'!

I recently made the transition to nylon, mainly because Iove the sound of those nylon trebles! However, having played steel core bass strings for 30+ years, I've been surprised by the bass strings. I'm currently using D'addario high tension nylons (because I wanted taut basses), but they sound really 'chorusy', especially when playing single string stuff. Is this normal? Maybe I've strung it wrong?
Old 04-21-2019, 01:16 PM

Could you elaborate on what you mean?

In general you will find brighter, and less bright basses.

I find the nylgut basses by Aquila to be less bright (what I want), and other brands to be brighter. You'll just have to try different trebles and see which you like.

As you are new to nylon-strings, I'd also recommend you try some carbon trebles (Knobloch CX actives, for example).

Or Aquila Rubino strings, which which you'll get the nylgut basses.

Shop around and experiment.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 04-21-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2019, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Could you elaborate on what you mean?
Thanks for your answer sirwhale. The only way I can think of describing what I'm hearing is to say that the bass strings sound like they have a chorus effect on them, which surely can't be right(?).

The trebles sound fine to me, but I will try a few different sets, especially the ones you recommended.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:37 AM

I think(?) I may know what you are talking about. I observed this a few times.

Are you fretting (placing your fingers) as close as possible to the fret? This may help.

Try different types of basses and see what happens.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie View Post
I recently made the transition to nylon, mainly because Iove the sound of those nylon trebles! However, having played steel core bass strings for 30+ years, I've been surprised by the bass strings. I'm currently using D'addario high tension nylons (because I wanted taut basses), but they sound really 'chorusy', especially when playing single string stuff. Is this normal? Maybe I've strung it wrong?
Hard to know exactly what you mean. If you link to a recording that has the sound you are talking about it would be informative.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-22-2019, 12:49 PM
Musical minimalist

Bass strings on classicals, because of their lower tension and non-metcallic composition tend to oscillate a lot more than steel strings. This certainly drives a top that is much more lightly braced and what you will hear is more overtone content, especially on the better quality instruments.

At least this is my experience!

Old 04-22-2019, 09:48 PM

Also, are the saddle and the nut cleanly set with good roundover (saddle) and break angle (nut); if those are not well-set, the basses will buzz and have the effect you’ve described.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Are you fretting (placing your fingers) as close as possible to the fret? This may help.
This does indeed help, thanks for the tip
Old 04-24-2019, 03:15 PM

I've been trying to decide which strings to try next, but it's especially confusing as it seems some classical players buy trebles and basses from different sets!!?

Here's what I'm hoping for:

1) I play folky type fingerstyle (with nails - and am looking at learning some classical styles) and like my basses to be bassy but well articulated and my trebles to be bright but rounded.

2) I really don't like my strings to rattle against the frets, which is why I feel drawn to high tension. The guitar seems appropriately set up and I don't need to lower the action.

@sirwhale - you recommended the Aquila Rubino and the Knobloch CX actives. Looking at my preferences, which one would you recommend I try first? Are there any others you could recommend?

Also, I don't want to get into the separate trebles and bass thing - not least because nobody I know sells them like that in the UK, but also because I'm strickly a hobbyist and would rather keep things as straightforward as I can.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:14 PM

Give the Savarez 510AR set a try. They're high tension. I absolutely love the Cantiga bass string sounds.

My deviation from this set is that I'm not fan of high tension bass strings. So, I special order Savarez Cantiga normal tension bass strings and the Savarez Alliance High tension Trebles.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/savare...-set-5797.html
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop

Last edited by dkstott; 04-24-2019 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 04-25-2019, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
Give the Savarez 510AR set a try. They're high tension. I absolutely love the Cantiga bass string sounds.

My deviation from this set is that I'm not fan of high tension bass strings. So, I special order Savarez Cantiga normal tension bass strings and the Savarez Alliance High tension Trebles.

https://www.stringsbymail.com/savare...-set-5797.html
Thanks. I was just looking at some of these:

https://www.londonguitarstudio.com/s...igh-tension.ir

...mainly because I really do think I'd prefer high tension basses (after many years of heavy-gauge, no-rattle steel cores). The cantiga basses sound very interesting indeed! Do you know if the trebles are carbon?
Old 04-25-2019, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martie View Post

Here's what I'm hoping for:

1) I play folky type fingerstyle (with nails - and am looking at learning some classical styles) and like my basses to be bassy but well articulated and my trebles to be bright but rounded.

@sirwhale - you recommended the Aquila Rubino and the Knobloch CX actives. Looking at my preferences, which one would you recommend I try first? Are there any others you could recommend?
From what you say I'd recommend the Aquila Rubino first. I play folk and blues (you can see my videos in my signature), and these have been the strings I like the best. The basses are bassy and rich (not bright) and the trebles are bright but more rounded/focused than carbon strings. The tension is very balanced across the strings, which isn't so much the case with nylon or carbons strings, and they are also medium-high tension (depending on your perspective they could be high tension).

But, of course, you'll also then need to try other strings to get your own idea. I'd play the strings until they wear out and then try a new set. Particularly for the Rubinos, give them two days to settle before judging them.

In the UK you can get Rubinos from Original Artisan. Just ask them to give you a set that is from July 2017 onwards, as these sets have the new formula.

From what I can tell however, you'd probably not be as keen on nylon strings as you would carbon strings or Aquila's Rubino or Sugar strings.

Last edited by sirwhale; 04-25-2019 at 04:15 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
From what you say I'd recommend the Aquila Rubino first. I play folk and blues (you can see my videos in my signature), and these have been the strings I like the best. The basses are bassy and rich (not bright) and the trebles are bright but more rounded/focused than carbon strings. The tension is very balanced across the strings, which isn't so much the case with nylon or carbons strings, and they are also medium-high tension (depending on your perspective they could be high tension).

But, of course, you'll also then need to try other strings to get your own idea. I'd play the strings until they wear out and then try a new set. Particularly for the Rubinos, give them two days to settle before judging them.

In the UK you can get Rubinos from Original Artisan. Just ask them to give you a set that is from July 2017 onwards, as these sets have the new formula.

From what I can tell however, you'd probably not be as keen on nylon strings as you would carbon strings or Aquila's Rubino or Sugar strings.
Many thanks for your help with this. I'll definitely give the Aquila Rubino a whirl and will let you know how I get on. Thanks again
Old 04-25-2019, 11:13 AM

Have you looked at nail shape? What I learned from my teacher is something like what this video shows, but I like them a little shorter. What surprised me is the effect skin contact with the string can have with nails, even on the thumb.

As always, YMMV.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Foster View Post
Have you looked at nail shape? What I learned from my teacher is something like what this video shows, but I like them a little shorter. What surprised me is the effect skin contact with the string can have with nails, even on the thumb.

As always, YMMV.
Hi, thanks for this. Yes, I have my nails very carefully ramped, which I find makes a huge difference.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical