The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-26-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I agree, though Martin has moved away from black pickguards in general for its Standard Series guitar, not just on the D-18.

I recently played a D-28 and an HD-28, both from 2018, side by side. I was surprised by how much I preferred the D-28. While lacking nothing in its bass response, it had both a better tonal balance and better projection. If I'd been in the market for a rosewood dreadnought at that moment, it was the reimagined D-28 that I would have bought.

whm
Same impression whenever I have a chance to compare a new D-28 and HD-28. The HD has a very deeply submerged midrange, and more seriously, very thin trebles, all incased in a cavernous bass - significant tonal imbalance. The D-28 is very balanced, straight forward and sweet, wonderful model. I just wish they would drop the volute to bring it ultimately up to date.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
As Daniel and several others pointed out, the folks who post on this forum are not even remotely representative of the guitar-owning "masses." We represent ourselves and that's about it.

That said, there has definitely been a revival of interest in the Martin D-18, which for many years wasn't an especially sought-after model. The decision by Martin to revamp the D-18's design to include the best tonal features of pre-war examples was one of the smartest things Martin has ever done.

Wade Hampton Miller
I would enthusiastically agree with that. I would never have considered the D18 prior to the changes. It's just my opinion, but I considered those...meh!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 04-26-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
Funny, for me (61) it’s just the opposite. I’ve suffered sudden hearing loss, and the mahogany guitars I used to prefer the sound of, now have voids in their tone. So much so, that I’ve actually sold them and replaced them with guitars made of other tonewoods that sound more full & pleasing to me.

That’s an interesting observation. It would be a good topic for a separate thread: whether and to what extent aging ears or impaired hearing affect preferences for certain guitars.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Same impression whenever I have a chance to compare a new D-28 and HD-28. The HD has a very deeply submerged midrange, and more seriously, very thin trebles, all incased in a cavernous bass - significant tonal imbalance. The D-28 is very balanced, straight forward and sweet, wonderful model. I just wish they would drop the volute to bring it ultimately up to date.
I'm curious why do you not like the volute? To me, it made the neck feel better in my hands on guitars with the volute than the D18 without. When I was first trying I couldn't figure out why D18s felt like wider necks than 28s and finally figured out that the volute rounded the neck more instead of leaving it flatter.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:49 AM

D-18 players are like Manchester City* fans. We've always existed but we're a bit more vocal these days.

*dat's a soccer team
Old 04-26-2019, 06:52 AM

I bought my first Martin, a D-28, in the early 1990's before the internet. From the time I started shopping for my first Martin until post 2012, I thought of 18 series guitars as being a step down from the 28 series. To me they did not look or sound like they were on a similar level quality wise. So to this consumer, they were cheaper in price because the overall quality was less, not simply because mahogany was less expensive than EIR. That perception for me has definitely changed. 18 series guitars today look and sound every bit as good as 28 series guitars.

The 2012 changes were important. But I also think coming out with the Golden Era line and the Authentic line introduced many, including me, to the idea that a mahogany guitar could be a premium guitar.

And as for the Reimagined 28s, I think Martin made a mistake shifting the HD-28's scalloped bracing forward. Things can get too soupy with forward shifted scalloped braces when it's a sitka top over EIR. But I think the D-28 has made a comeback as local dealers are actually stocking them once again.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I'm curious why do you not like the volute? To me, it made the neck feel better in my hands on guitars with the volute than the D18 without. When I was first trying I couldn't figure out why D18s felt like wider necks than 28s and finally figured out that the volute rounded the neck more instead of leaving it flatter.
I’ll keep this in mind next time I try a D-28; thanks for this. I’m definitely not much of a dreadnought affecianado but the 28 appeals to my ear more than good examples of the 18, having just sold a fine 000-18.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:46 AM
AGF Sponsor

Some of the really 'hip' players saw the light when they found out that many of Clarence White's solos were played on a D-18, but the majority are still glued to his D-28 legend, and its ownership by Tony Rice.

HE
Old 04-26-2019, 08:03 AM

I’ve always preferred the mahogany dread. More snap. But, as we get older (as the guitar buying population is these days) we tend to loose high end hearing. Swirling bass response sounds great by your lonesome, but in a group setting, a little lost. But, also the internet has “educated” (and I use that term loosely) as to specs and bracing patterns. My opinion is that forward shifted X bracing, coupled with rosewood back and sides equates to mush in the response (but I’m a hard player). I do like the reimagined D-28’s with the rearward shifted bracing though.

I personally have a Bourgeois Generation D which I love. Hybrid scalloped bracing, compound neck radius, torrified top. D-18 on steroids, very even, very loud, very easy to work on. Frets, nut and saddle are impeccable work too.

I do have a Pre War Guitars, Co. mahogany dread in the works right now. Should be done by December. Can’t wait.
Old 04-26-2019, 09:51 AM

Over the last 15-20 years there seems to have been a bit of a shift in the perception of Mahogany B&S vis-a-vis Rosewood B&S. The old "Mahogany-backed guitars are generally cheaper so they must not be as good" perception has morphed into more of a "Mahogany-backed guitars have a different tone from that of Rosewood, so it is a matter of preference not quality."

Vive la difference...
Old 04-26-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Over the last 15-20 years there seems to have been a bit of a shift in the perception of Mahogany B&S vis-a-vis Rosewood B&S. The old "Mahogany-backed guitars are generally cheaper so they must not be as good" perception has morphed into more of a "Mahogany-backed guitars have a different tone from that of Rosewood, so it is a matter of preference not quality."

Vive la difference...
I think there may also be an acknowledgement that mahogany may not be available in the future.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion