The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-07-2024, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Haggling over guitar prices

I'm thinking about a Kopp guitar. All his guitars have listed prices on his site.

I'm thinking small builder, high quality guitars, this is the type of person / shop I want to succeed, so should just pay the asking price. Would feel the same way about Collings, and others of this caliber...

My question, am I being naive in my approach and should always try to haggle?
-----
For attempting to learn how to record:
  • Interface: Presonus Audiobox 44VSL
  • DAW: Presonsus StudioOne Artist
  • Computer: Dell Inspiron 15 (windows 11)
  • Mics: Shure SM 57 and 58, Behringer C-2 pair
  • P'up: K&K (J45)

Last edited by egordon99; 03-07-2024 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Moved to the correct forum.
Old 03-07-2024, 02:32 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by broy View Post
I'm thinking about a Kopp guitar. All his guitars have listed prices on his site.

I'm thinking small builder, high quality guitars, this is the type of person / shop I want to succeed, so should just pay the asking price. Would feel the same way about Collings, and others of this caliber...

My question, am I being naive in my approach and should always try to haggle?

=======
(Sorry - posted in wrong section, please move to general forum).
I wouldn't overly haggle, but it doesn't hurt to ask. All they can say is no. I like the Kopp K-35 btw.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-07-2024, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
...it doesn't hurt to ask. All they can say is no.
My understanding of haggling is dispute or bargain persistently, especially over the cost of something. I don't think that I'm a price haggler by nature, but I'm also not reluctant to ask, "What's the best you can do on price?" Contrary to TBman's quote, they can also come back with a better price.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 03-08-2024 at 09:55 AM.
Old 03-07-2024, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I don't think that I'm a price haggler by nature, but I'm also not reluctant to ask, "What's the best you can do on price?" Contrary to TBman's quote, they can also come back with a better price.
So, you want the seller to negociate with himself...
What's your answer if he comes back with: "What's the most you're willing to pay"?

Works both ways.
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 03-07-2024, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
So, you want the seller to negociate with himself...
What's your answer if he comes back with: "What's the most you're willing to pay"?
You're right. As a seller, I'll never negotiate with myself, and my stock response is "I've set a price that I believe to be very reasonable. However, I'll be glad to entertain a reasonable counter-offer." To answer your question, however, I would suggest a price that's marked down 20% from the asking price. The dealer can say yes, no or make a counteroffer...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-07-2024, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

No, in my estimation, you shouldn't always try to haggle. Nothing wrong with asking "what's the best you can do on this," but I guess I don't consider that haggling. Haggling would be pushier and involve probably making lowball offers and some back and forth.

That aside, if you're talking ordering a custom build from Kevin, I don't see what his incentive would be to give come down on price since he has (I assume) a multi-year wait list even without your commission.

If you're talking about haggling with a store, any reduced price is unlikely to trickle back to him since he's likely already been paid for it.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-07-2024, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

I'm a bargain shopper but for a very small shop where the guitar is built to order, it might be a bit tacky. Supporting our craftspeople is a nice thing.

Collings, etc for sure I'd haggle best I could. You're buying from a dealer not the builder.
Old 03-07-2024, 04:13 PM
Charter Member

The only time I've heard of someone getting a deal was when a friend was on Linda Manzer's waiting list, and she had a guitar damaged in shipment. She offered to fix it or build a new guitar. Customer wanted a new guitar, so my friend got an offer on the repaired guitar. You can't tell it was ever damaged. Friend got a guitar a year sooner at a great price, but also elected to get a ply arch top too, because the solid arch top was too lively and fed back easily. I think his deal saved him about 20%. She could have sold it as new.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 03-07-2024, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Smile When in doubt…

When I am in doubt about offering $. I usually ask if the seller has any wiggle room.

They sometimes offer for less than I would have suggested…

And sometimes they say no. And all in between too.

Good luck shopping!

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 03-07-2024, 04:34 PM

If you are negotiating you should ask for a specific price. You may have a budget or a target price in mind so it's best imo to start below what you hope to get.
When you negotiate give legitimate reasons for your asking price and say the price you want last and then don't say another word. This can sometimes lead to an awkward silence but wait it out and make him reject, accept, or counter your offer.
This imo is negotiating 101 so to speak. Some are hesitant to do this but it's your money and no one will watch that for you.
Best not to get defensive if rejected, I just thank them for their consideration. I will watch that item and if it's still available in a week or two I'll remind them that I'm still interested. I'm always kind and appreciative.
I enjoy the back and-forth of negotiating and have saved a lot by doing so.
Best of luck.
Old 03-07-2024, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
No, in my estimation, you shouldn't always try to haggle. Nothing wrong with asking "what's the best you can do on this," but I guess I don't consider that haggling. Haggling would be pushier and involve probably making lowball offers and some back and forth.

That aside, if you're talking ordering a custom build from Kevin, I don't see what his incentive would be to give come down on price since he has (I assume) a multi-year wait list even without your commission.

If you're talking about haggling with a store, any reduced price is unlikely to trickle back to him since he's likely already been paid for it.
I wouldn’t have even thought to ask Kevin (or other builder with a long wait list) for a discount on a custom order. Luthiers often offer discounts on guitars that they have built for shows, but that’s different. I suppose it can’t hurt to ask.
Old 03-07-2024, 05:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
I wouldn’t have even thought to ask Kevin (or other builder with a long wait list) for a discount on a custom order. Luthiers often offer discounts on guitars that they have built for shows, but that’s different. I suppose it can’t hurt to ask.
Yeah. Kevin builds a great guitar. He hand builds them and has adjusted his price based on his waiting list. He can easily move on to the next guy on his list. But, he may also have one with a tiny dent in it, and had to start over. He may have one that the finish bubbled so he plays it in his shop, etc. I bought a guitar off a luthier when I called him to ask about a used guitar I was going to buy. He said his personal guitar was even better and he had a daughter’s tuition due. I got a very good deal on an already broken in masterpiece so no it doesn’t hurt to ask.

AMW (I think is American Music Works) is a dealer and as such buys at a discount so may be able to offer a slight discount or they might have taken one in trade. Why not just buy used?
Old 03-07-2024, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Not sure if I should admit this, but I paid asking on all three of my dreads. The first was the J-45, new from Music Villa. The moment before I gave them my credit card, they dropped the price by 10%. Nice.

The Martins I bought from two stand-up guys here at AGF. They were asking what the guitars were worth, so it was fair. Could I have saved a couple hundred dollars? Maybe, but both transactions proceeded smoothly and fast, with buyer and seller satisfied.

I won’t buy another guitar, but if I did buy one new from a dealer, I’d offer 15% below asking.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 03-07-2024, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
Umm, yeah, no... don't do that.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 03-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
Not sure if I should admit this, but I paid asking on all three of my dreads. The first was the J-45, new from Music Villa. The moment before I gave them my credit card, they dropped the price by 10%. Nice.
I've only really "haggled" on private sales, and then only when I though the price was actually a bit high. I have asked at dealers if they can come down at all, and pretty much left it at that if they said no.

I've also shopped carefully online and bought things for really good prices when they were priced that way on their own.

I have, however, gotten a great number of deals by being nice, understanding, and building relationships with shops and/or builders. People have just --out of the blue-- offered me discounts once I became a familiar face, or after I displayed a certain amount of understanding... without even having to ask for it.

I get a lot of free drinks that way too. Be nice to them, support them, and they're more inclined to give you free stuff or discounts (not that that's why you should do either of those things). During the many years that I was a bartender, I gave away a lot of free drinks... almost none of them went to people who asked me for free drinks (and people did frequently ask for them). High end guitars are different... but not that much different.

(Call me Dan)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion