The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-09-2011, 06:13 PM

Default Jeff...

just wanted to say that I appreciate your post. One of these days, I am going to have an L-0/L-1 and probably Mr. Einhoff will be building it. Your pics just whetted an appetite though that has no funds to feed it.

john

Martin OM-15m custom

Opinions subject to change due to experience...
Old 01-10-2011, 06:01 AM

I looked for a new L-1 Robert Johnson but couldn't find one to try out. I don't like "signature models", in general, but I was hoping this one could change my mind. The signature on the fretboard, even though it's the mighty Robert Johnson, doesn't appeal to me. I ended up buying a 1936 L-00 and I'm not sorry one bit. I'm still hoping for an L-1 but I think I'll save my money and go for a vintage one.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:05 PM

I havent read all the pages but since it was mentioned on this page I thought I would comment that I played the repro Rbt Johnson hoping to like it and it was as dead as a door.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho John View Post
just wanted to say that I appreciate your post. One of these days, I am going to have an L-0/L-1 and probably Mr. Einhoff will be building it. Your pics just whetted an appetite though that has no funds to feed it.

john
No worries, glad to help!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:26 PM

I tired and original L-O at a store here in Michigan (from the 20s). It looks just like Rober Johnson's. The neck was massive! Still a cool guitar to play.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:50 PM

In '29 Gibson changed to the "hippy" shape from the round "Robert J" shape. A few round ones trickled through in that year but in general '28 was the last year of the round shape Gibson had used for years. It was 13 3/4 wide at the widest so a small guitar with a small sound. The Nick Lucas was the same shape/specs except a lot deeper. And of course bling.
I have a new guitar built with that shape but with a wider top and deeper bout. It also has a longer scale and narrower nut. I love the uniqueness of the guitar and every time, everyday, I take it out of the case I admire it. Custom guitars arent cheap but you can get what you want that way. There is no store you can go to and get one of these.
I played a Gibson Robert J repro and that thing was so dead I didnt even finish a song on it. There may be some that sound better but I didnt like the size either. They have an Arlo model that is small too but not for me.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:52 PM

oops cancel post
Old 05-27-2022, 08:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrooks View Post
How about James Einolf's work? He seems to be making replicas of the 1926 L-0 and L-1.
I've not played one but they look interesting ....

jameseinolf.com
I’m actively trying to track James Einolf down to talk about a custom build, and my search led me here. I can’t seem to find the correct website for him. Is there a typo in the URL you posted? Because it leads to something… other than guitars. I wouldn’t click on it at work or in front of the wife and kids.

Is there any other way to contact James?
Old 03-11-2024, 03:59 PM

Default James Einolf

Did you (did anyone) track him down?
Old 03-12-2024, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

I know this is an old thread…I’m old too. Just popped in to say that the Kopp RJ, which is his L-1 inspired guitar, is a stellar example of what a great guitar Gibsons original flat top design is. Balanced, punchy, warm, dry, throaty and sweet. Responsive to the lightest touch but able to stand up when you dig in. Mine is my “last guitar standing” instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion