The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-27-2010, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Default Mi-Si Acoustic Trio Help

Hey Folks,
I just had a Mi-Si Acoustic Trio installed in a concert sized ukulele and I'm having some problems. The Acoustic Trio is the LR Baggs Element under the saddle transducer attached to a rechargeable preamp created and designed by Mi-Si.

It's the first pickup on this page:

http://mi-si.com/products/

I have this same set up in another ukulele and one that was just installed this weekend is behaving strangely and completely differently from the one I'm used to.

The first thing I noticed is that the output on the new one is much lower.

The other concern is that the new one is sounding and behaving exactly like a sound board transducer. I'm getting a ton of feedback and handling noise. When I notch out the feedback the sound is quite nice but the low output combined with non-UST behavior has me concerned that something is wrong.

I sent an email to Mi-Si to get their take but I thought I'd check in here to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Thanks!
Matt
Old 06-27-2010, 06:26 PM

Hi Matt,

Your problem sounds like inadequate saddle pressure on the UST. The problem could be that the saddle is too tight in the slot and not seated properly on the UST. Another possibility is that the saddle doesn't extend far enough above the top of the bridge to facilitate adequate pressure on the saddle. A third possibility is that the saddle could be too loose in the slot and tilting forward a bit.

The Mi-Si UST is the Baggs Element UST, a multi-directional film UST which will indeed sound like an SBT when there's inadequate string pressure being transfered onto it via the saddle.

Gary
Old 06-27-2010, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Hey Gary!
Thanks so much for the reply. It sounds like you are right on the money. The fellow that did the install for me was concerned about this very problem but in the end, he thought he had enough room to get the saddle pressure he needed. I'd say that his initial concern was right and that this pickup simply won't work in this instrument.

Thanks again!
Matt
Old 06-27-2010, 08:30 PM

I accidentally posted a reply and not my own thread, this needs to be moved, sorry about that.

Would anyone recomend putting pickups in a yamaha c40? At some point, i want to be able to plug my guitar into the pc and record my progress on learning or just to fool around and i dont want it picking up any background noise in my house.

Or should i wait until i get a better guitar before i put any money into it.

Thanks

Yamaha C40
esp mh103qm

Last edited by nylonewb; 06-27-2010 at 08:43 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification