The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-10-2018, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Default Tyler Robbins R.1a - Engleman Spruce - "The Fiddleback Tree" mahogany

I would like to share some thoughts and pictures about my recently acquired Tyler Robbins R.1a acoustic guitar.

I first heard about Tyler from my guitar tech, Jeff E., who like Tyler is a graduate of the Galloup School of Lutherie. Tyler is now a lead builder and head of repairs at Galloup Guitars in addition to operating Robbins Acoustics.

Jeff knew from working on my guitars that I enjoyed and support the work of young (to me) luthiers (Simon Fay, Joel Michaud and Jonathan Razo) and mentioned that I should check out Tyler Robbins whose work he had been impressed with.

Tyler was exhibiting at Woodstock 2017 a beautiful R.1ca (Engleman spruce - Cocobolo) which was being sold through Dream Guitars. To me, that guitar was one of my top 3 favorites at that year's show and like all of Tyler's guitars at Dream Guitars, sold quickly.

Fast Forward to WILS 2018 and I'm checking out fellow Galloup Guitars lead builder Sam Guidry's amazing work. Helping him out at the table was Tyler who was not exhibiting his own work this year. I asked Tyler if he brought any of his guitars with him and was pleasantly surprised to learn that he had just received this guitar back from The Boutique Guitar Showcase 14 city tour and had it with him.

After playing this guitar in a quiet room I knew I didn't want to miss out on owning this one. Tyler took the guitar back after the show to his shop where he installed a K&K pickup, set the guitar up and buffed it out to showroom condition and shipped it to me in a custom fit Calton case.

I have only had the guitar for a few days and my initial impressions confirm my first playing. This is a great sounding guitar that checks all the boxes for me. I will have more to say once I have really had time to play it in.

Here are some pictures to share for now:

A representative of Hibdon Hardwoods who I talked to at Woodstock said the fiddleback mahogany from this special tree is the best Bill Hibdon has seen in decades. You can read about "The Fiddleback Tree" below:

https://www.hibdonhardwood.com/blogs...iddleback-tree

This one special tree yielded 400 sets and those who have followed the Woodstock threads may have seen Leo Buendia's beautiful new 00 made from this same wood.

Randy Muth also exhibited an amazing guitar made with this wood as did Maegen Wells if I'm not mistaken.

Ryan Middlebrook mentioned in another thread that he and Steve Kinnaird are bringing a 00 made with this wood to the B.I.G. show in March.

https://reverb.com/news/6-young-luth...ou-should-know

More to come...

Last edited by doodahdoug; 12-06-2018 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Hibdon Hardwoods link added
Old 11-10-2018, 11:44 AM

Oh my, that is a beauty. I LOVE the treatment on the rosette, really different and cool. The back inlay, the double bevels, just super!!! Really great color palate (and I am sure sound palate).

Is this guitar going to make it to B.I.G.?

Yes, I can confirm that I just got an email from Kinnaird guitars and Ryan and Steve are doing a guitar just for B.I.G. with the same back and side woods! Ryan is working on this one and I believe Steve is doing 000 12 fret in dark EIR and probable bearclaw Sitka top!

Did I say I loved this guitar yet? Congrats Doug!
Old 11-10-2018, 11:48 AM

I had the pleasure of playing this guitar at woodstock and have been eagerly awaiting its arrival to doug's home. Doug's guitar tech Jeff mentioned Tyler to me as well and playing this guitar confirmed all of the praise that he has received.

To me, the guitar had a wonderful combination of dry/woody tone mixed with airy/overtones-like a melting pot of vintage and modern. Congrats on the purchase Doug!
Old 11-10-2018, 11:49 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the guitar, Doug--it looks beautiful.

I really love Tyler's aesthetics--would love to try one of his guitars!

Looking forward to seeing you (and possibly this guitar?) at B.I.G.!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 11-10-2018, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

That mahogany!!! <3 I really really like the headstock design and wood choices. Very nice.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:59 PM

Cool! Some of those details are very nice. Have a close up shot of the arm and ribrest terminations? And that neck, Yowza What a nice piece of wood.

Congrats!
Old 11-10-2018, 02:27 PM
Charter Member

Default Hog Heaven

Vasu, thank you for your review of the sound from playing this guitar at Woodstock.

Kevin and Tom I am going to need a guitar at B.I.G. for the Michael Watts workshop so I may indeed bring this guitar since we are planning to drive to the event and spend some time in the Hill Country.

Thanks for your comment Jamie I'm glad we both got to check out Leo's Fiddleback Mahogany guitar too!

Burton, thanks for your comments, here is a build picture from Tyler of the arm bevel that may show a bit more detail.

The lower bout is a full 5" deep but the arm and rib bevels make it feel like a smaller bodied instrument.

Last edited by doodahdoug; 11-10-2018 at 02:32 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 11-10-2018, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

I was just over at Doug's house this afternoon and got a chance to play this guitar. All I can say is WOW!! Everything about this guitar is amazing including the aesthetics, the woods, the playability, and of course the sound. I was extremely impressed!

Doug owns a number number of really nice "no slouch" guitars, and I'm sure this one is at or very near the top in his collection. I am on my way back home now to throw all of my guitars in the fireplace after playing this one.... :-)

Congratulations on the wonderful new guitar Doug!
  • Takamine 2006 Ltd.
  • Takamine EAC48C
  • Takamine ESF40C
  • Tama #3561 Dread
  • Whelan Dreadnought
  • Whelan Grand Auditorium
  • Yamaki YW-80
Old 11-10-2018, 02:54 PM

Love the rosette!! I'd consider ordering one for that alone!
Old 11-10-2018, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Smile Very PRETTY

Beautiful woods and execution!

Have fun with this beauty

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-10-2018, 03:46 PM

This guitar looks like everything I want!
Old 11-10-2018, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Default demo video

Thanks Paul...looking forward to meeting you at B.I.G.!

SY2 and DamianL thanks for your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhelan56 View Post
I was just over at Doug's house this afternoon and got a chance to play this guitar. All I can say is WOW!! Everything about this guitar is amazing including the aesthetics, the woods, the playability, and of course the sound. I was extremely impressed!

Doug owns a number number of really nice "no slouch" guitars, and I'm sure this one is at or very near the top in his collection. I am on my way back home now to throw all of my guitars in the fireplace after playing this one.... :-)

Congratulations on the wonderful new guitar Doug!
Thanks Jim...too funny!

Here is a link to a phone video I took of Jim playing "Another Park, Another Sunday" by the Doobie Bros. on the Robbins R.1a:

[/URL]

Last edited by doodahdoug; 11-25-2018 at 06:57 PM. Reason: embed video
Old 11-10-2018, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

That is some gorgeous mahogany!! Beautiful guitar.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:15 PM

Tyler's work is amazing, and he's a great guy to boot! Have not had a chance to try his guitars out, but met him twice already this year - at Artisan and Woodstock - and hope to see him in the future...
Old 11-10-2018, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

What an amazing guitar! One thing that I noticed immediately is that the rib bevel is more pronounced on the upper bout side. That makes a lot of sense. I just got my Edwinson, and while I love the rib bevel, I actually found that I wish it had been extended more into the upper bout, then I see the pictures of yours and it jumped out at me. Gorgeous instrument!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop